FedEx Funding NIL

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
In a similar vein, it was reported that Jerry Jones has offered to double any NIL offer for UK basketball commits to flip to Arkansas.

Some of our fans were excited about NIL, but NOTHING about the NIL world favors us. Even Memphis has us beat in that respect.

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
In a similar vein, it was reported that Jerry Jones has offered to double any NIL offer for UK basketball commits to flip to Arkansas.

Some of our fans were excited about NIL, but NOTHIGN about the NIL world favors us. Even Memphis has us beat in that respect.
We're nowhere, Man.šŸ˜”

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Maybe Sonoco can come to the rescue with some athlete signature paper cores
I was a career papermaker and a guy I used to work with at Bowater Catawba is now a manager at Sonoco in Hartsville. Problem is he's a UPC (University of Pickens County - for the uninitiated) graduate, so I can't expect any help from him. :unsure:

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
Ah, Bowater. I was born and raised in Rock Hill. Back then, it seemed everyone either worked at Bowater or Celanese.

Reactions: KingWard

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Ah, Bowater. I was born and raised in Rock Hill. Back then, it seemed everyone either worked at Bowater or Celanese.
Now the former Bowater plant (New Indy) employees something over 400 employees. There was a time when the workforce approached 1200.

Feb 24, 2024
I was a career papermaker and a guy I used to work with at Bowater Catawba is now a manager at Sonoco in Hartsville. Problem is he's a UPC (University of Pickens County - for the uninitiated) graduate, so I can't expect any help from him. :unsure:
Both sides of my family made their living at Sonoco for multiple generations.

To your original point though, South Carolina has virtually no homegrown megacorps and relatively few wealthy and ultra-wealthy donors compared to most of our peer set. This has hurt us as a university and an athletics department since WW2 when the postwar and baby boom generation turned the ignition on higher education and collegiate sports becoming what it is today.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

To your original point though, South Carolina has virtually no homegrown megacorps and relatively few wealthy and ultra-wealthy donors compared to most of our peer set. This has hurt us as a university and an athletics department since WW2 when the postwar and baby boom generation turned the ignition on higher education and collegiate sports becoming what it is today.
It really is a hopeless situation for us regarding NIL. Really only functions to push us further down.

Reactions: Cola GCock

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022

IMO competing in football is a lost cause with NIL. I can see where potentially we could have some hope with baseball and basketball.
This is unfortunately the state of things until this NIL gets fixed.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
The one
The Sonoco CEO is worth $21.3 million (thereabouts). If he gave us everything he had, it would put us in spitting distance of FedEx's commitment.
Well, the article doesn't say the FedEx CEO is personally donating the money - it's coming from the company. And it amounts to $5m per year over 5 years. I believe Sonoco's revenue last year was in the neighborhood of $6b. It shouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility to secure a commitment from them to throw a $5m marketing charge-off our way over a series of years.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
BMW and Michelin have done quite well in SC and could chip in if so inclined.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The one

Well, the article doesn't say the FedEx CEO is personally donating the money - it's coming from the company. And it amounts to $5m per year over 5 years. I believe Sonoco's revenue last year was in the neighborhood of $6b. It shouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility to secure a commitment from them to throw a $5m marketing charge-off our way over a series of years.
Iā€™m aware.

Anyway, FedEx is headquartered in Memphis. Sonoco is not headquartered in Columbia. We have nothing of that magnitude headquartered in Columbia. Not even close. Memphis got the donation because that is where FedEx is headquartered. Sonoco would not make that kind of donation to us when we have two major state universities.

Reactions: Uscg1984

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
FedEx and other corporations have South Carolina customers. Tanner should be aggressive to get funding (supposedly, fundraising is his strength). It is sad that college sports has evolved to this.

Reactions: Patriot321
Feb 24, 2024
The one

It's not really a charge-off. You have to actually write a $5M check. And industrial companies like Sonoco don't rely on significant brand marketing or demand generation budgets.

They have given a modest amount of money to the Moore School over the years. Unsure if they've contributed to Clemson academic departments but my guess would be "yes"

Reactions: Uscg1984
Feb 24, 2024
BMW and Michelin have done quite well in SC and could chip in if so inclined.
Yes, but we're just manufacturing hubs to them. Outposts, so to speak.

I noticed that our coaches sideline headsets have a Block C logo on them, while Georgia's sport a Delta Airlines logo (Atlanta-based) and Texas's sport American Airlines (Dallas-based). The contrasts are evident everywhere you look

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Yes, but we're just manufacturing hubs to them. Outposts, so to speak.

I noticed that our coaches sideline headsets have a Block C logo on them, while Georgia's sport a Delta Airlines logo (Atlanta-based) and Texas's sport American Airlines (Dallas-based). The contrasts are evident everywhere you look

This is quite a SC presence for these companies to not provide some financial NIL support for our university.

Headquartered in Greenville, South Carolina, Michelin North America has approximately 23,000 employees and operates 34 production facilities in the United States and Canada.

As of 2019 the BMW Spartanburg manufacturing plant in Greer, South Carolina, had the highest production volume of the BMW plants worldwide,[7] producing approximately 1,500 vehicles per day.[8] The models produced at the Spartanburg plant are the X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, and XM SUV models.

Feb 24, 2024
This is quite a SC presence for these companies to not provide some financial NIL support for our university.

Headquartered in Greenville, South Carolina, Michelin North America has approximately 23,000 employees and operates 34 production facilities in the United States and Canada.

As of 2019 the BMW Spartanburg manufacturing plant in Greer, South Carolina, had the highest production volume of the BMW plants worldwide,[7] producing approximately 1,500 vehicles per day.[8] The models produced at the Spartanburg plant are the X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, and XM SUV models.
I agree. But "home" and "not home" are powerful contrasts in human existence. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying though. President Amirides, Ray Tanner, the board, Lamont, Dawn, and Shave Beaver should be making calls themselves. Mid level administrators don't land whale deals

Last edited:

mickray

May 20, 2023

ā€œGive me a place to stand, and a lever long enough, and I will move the world. ā€​

Never give up.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Iā€™m aware.

Anyway, FedEx is headquartered in Memphis. Sonoco is not headquartered in Columbia. We have nothing of that magnitude headquartered in Columbia. Not even close. Memphis got the donation because that is where FedEx is headquartered. Sonoco would not make that kind of donation to us when we have two major state universities.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you about the reality. Just remarking that it fundamentally shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
They have given a modest amount of money to the Moore School over the years. Unsure if they've contributed to Clemson academic departments but my guess would be "yes"
And, to be honest, if Sonoco has given significant money to academic programs, that's a more noble purpose than throwing money at an athlete so he can drive a Range Rover while he's in school. If Carolina were to aggressively pursue money from SC corporations, I'd much prefer it go to general scholarship funds than NIL.

Feb 24, 2024
And, to be honest, if Sonoco has given significant money to academic programs, that's a more noble purpose than throwing money at an athlete so he can drive a Range Rover while he's in school. If Carolina were to aggressively pursue money from SC corporations, I'd much prefer it go to general scholarship funds than NIL.
I agree. Similar ethos to how Robert McNair did it

VZVZ

Garnet Trust Supporter
Jun 20, 2023
My father in law retired with Celanese. He negotiated with unions. Tough job

Reactions: KingWard

Latest posts