For the over 40 crowd....

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
If we go up to Navy in '84 & win the game, do we stump our toe at Tillman the next week, thereby giving them a forever bragging right of keeping us from playing for the national title? I've honestly thought of this a number of times over the years.

Game...Cocks

Joined Apr 17, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
This is true, but that season was a perfect storm for us to come out of nowhere & win the whole shebang. Overlooked Navy worried about the Tillman game the next week.
We could have lost to The Citadel on September 8!

We could have lost @ Notre Dame (finished 7-5).

We could have lost @ NC State (finished 3-8).

We could have lost @ Clemson (finished 7-4).

It was before my time, but what a season.

Weird that we played K-State too.

Hobcawcreekcock

Joined Dec 10, 2000 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 22, 2022
I went to the airport in a van with about eight people and a keg of beer to meet the team after they LOST to NAVY. Close to 5,000 USC fans out there, including Joe Pinner ( Mr Knozit lol). Nebraska and Oklahoma played that day as well, I can’t recall who won, but the team ranked #1 lost. Has we beat Navy, Carolina would have likely been ranked #1, poised to play Clempsun for a CHS ce to play for the national championship. Huge loss! However, the sting was relieved some a week later at Moo U. We beat them 22-21 for their FIRST LOSS in “championship all orange uniforms”, AND ENDED a 25 game home winning streak. Something about USC and ending Clempsun home winning streaks. Ended the 40 game streak about a week ago. We dropped our nuts , and cut theirs with that distinction (ending streaks, knocked out of the CFP), had to REALLY STING!!!

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022
If we go up to Navy in '84 & win the game, do we stump our toe at Tillman the next week, thereby giving them a forever bragging right of keeping us from playing for the national title? I've honestly thought of this a number of times over the years.
Never crossed my mind since u mentioned yer seance, but

DenverGamecock

Jan 30, 2022
If we had beat Navy we would have beat the taters.

Wonder who we would have played in the bowl game? Oklahoma in the Orange?

BYU went undefeated with a weak schedule and then played a 6-5 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl. What a joke of a championship.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
My opinion is that we would have beaten them worse in '84 had we not lost at Navy. I think we played a lot of that game hung over from the previous week. This UPC game never should have come down to the end the way it did.

Reactions: Uscg1984

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
If we had beat Navy we would have beat the taters.

Wonder who we would have played in the bowl game? Oklahoma in the Orange?

BYU went undefeated with a weak schedule and then played a 6-5 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl. What a joke of a championship.
Oklahoma was in the Orange that year. They lost to Washington in it. Switzer said Washington was the #1 team in 1984. Would have been tough to beat that OU team, but it sure would have been nice to have had the chance. Those who weren't around back then really have no idea how close we were.

Reactions: KingWard

Gamecockdude

Oct 13, 2022
I was at the Navy game. Was very cold and windy. Miserable all the way around. The Clemson game the next week was about as good as it gets. We got a safety in that game which turned out to be the difference. Cocks won 22-21.

Reactions: Hobcawcreekcock

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
That damn Navy game is on youtube. I've tried, but have only been able to watch 1 quarter of that thing. It literally makes me nauseous.

Reactions: DrMickeySC

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022
I was at the Navy game. Was very cold and windy. Miserable all the way around. The Clemson game the next week was about as good as it gets. We got a safety in that game which turned out to be the difference. Cocks won 22-21.
Not so fast my friend, I’m under the opinion that Quinton Lewis’s TD right at half time changed the whole ballgame.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
My opinion is that we would have beaten them worse in '84 had we not lost at Navy. I think we played a lot of that game hung over from the previous week. This UPC game never should have come down to the end the way it did.
I agree. We looked past Navvy. There's no way we would have looked past Clemson. Had we beaten Navy, I think it's more likely we'd go into the Clemson game loaded for bear and win by multiple scores than fall on our face and lose the game.

Reactions: KingWard

DrMickeySC

Jan 23, 2022
Those younger than 40 will find it hard to believe the game wasn’t on TV. We usually only had 4-5 games a year on TV if we were lucky. Listened to that room on the radio in my bedroom as long as I could before turning it off. Sigh.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Those younger than 40 will find it hard to believe the game wasn’t on TV. We usually only had 4-5 games a year on TV if we were lucky. Listened to that room on the radio in my bedroom as long as I could before turning it off. Sigh.
I thought it was on TV. Could of sworn I watched it. Maybe it was the coach's show. Their TE was open over the middle all day long.

Hobcawcreekcock

Joined Dec 10, 2000 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 22, 2022
Wasn’t the game on PPV? I’m pretty sure we watched it at my sister’s house in Irmo!

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

DrMickeySC

Jan 23, 2022
PPV sounds about right. We watched everything that was on but no way my dad would have paid extra (never mind season tickets that he paid for 😂)

BetaLiberalCock1

Oct 22, 2022
Not so fast my friend, I’m under the opinion that Quinton Lewis’s TD right at half time changed the whole ballgame.
Correct me if I'm wrong but - wasn't that the same Clemson game where we needed a field goal to win it and we kicked it but missed... however there was a flag on the play - Clemmons offsides I believe, we got to try the kick again and nailed it. (Not a last second thing) Then we held on and the famous pic of Mike Hold holding out the ball at the end when we ran out the clock. Same game yeah?? Listened on radio. Or was that a different year?

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
Correct me if I'm wrong but - wasn't that the same Clemson game where we needed a field goal to win it and we kicked it but missed... however there was a flag on the play - Clemmons offsides I believe, we got to try the kick again and nailed it. (Not a last second thing) Then we held on and the famous pic of Mike Hold holding out the ball at the end when we ran out the clock. Same game yeah?? Listened on radio. Or was that a different year?
You're almost 100% spot on. It was an extra point to make it 22-21, not a field goal.

BetaLiberalCock1

Oct 22, 2022
You're almost 100% spot on. It was an extra point to make it 22-21, not a field goal.
That is correct. I remember now. Yep. Thanks Dod. Beautiful thing. The rare flag on Clemmons at Clemmons. Critical play. Obviously. I was shooting pool in the basement with my step-dad. We even have the "painting" of Hold handing the ball out to WP (IIRC) . Not sure if you were aware there was a painting done of that moment. We got it somewhere in storage I think. I'm sure not too many were sold. My step-dad probably ordered it from .... I wanna say "Spurs and Feathers" newspaper type thing. Most likely. I was a kid. Not sure on the where or hows.

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022
Yes, we win on pat & it turned out the clemp girl sitting beside me became my wife couple yrs later……..I’m such a Freudian dawg😆😋

Freddie.B.Cocky

Joined Jul 19, 2002
Jan 21, 2022
That thought has entered my mind at least a million times. And who knows the answer?