For those at the game, how did beer sales go?

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
I understood just fine, and thanks for Moogy-splaining it!

I still think relying on drunk people to slow their intake and behave appropriately is wildly optimistic, especially in a party atmosphere like a football game. But hey, your faith in people to do the right thing may just be what works for you. Cheers!
Erm, OK. It's not about "doing the right thing" ... it's just how people, even those who have been drinking, typically act. When folks tailgate, as it gets closer to game time, they often up their intake, until they're pounding some beers/shots before heading in.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
there is no such thing as sober enough to drive if you have any alcohol left in your system

That's not at all true, but I understand you're trying to convey not to drive after drinking a lot, just because you feel you've sobered up enough. But just about everyone who drinks, has had a beer when out to eat and then driven home, and some amount of alcohol is still in their system, even though they're not impaired.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
That's not at all true, but I understand you're trying to convey not to drive after drinking a lot, just because you feel you've sobered up enough. But just about everyone who drinks, has had a beer when out to eat and then driven home, and some amount of alcohol is still in their system, even though they're not impaired.
The Islanders Sebastion Aho got a DUI back in Sweden this summer while driving home in the morning after sleeping off a night of drinking. His BAC was .02, so some countries have laws that believe any alcohol in the system is an impairment.
I did get in line to grab a beer at one point Saturday, then realized I didn’t need it and it was just plain miserable weather and that beer wasn’t going to help that so I passed.

Yogiman71

Oct 8, 2021
Had a mother, father, and who I believed was their daughter sitting a few rows in front of us. Each one of them must have polished off 8 to 10 brews before they cut off sales. The concern I had when they left the game (and they did leave before the game was over) was either one of them being able to operate a motor vehicle legally and safely. If these folks represent their peer guzzlers in the stadium, I'm not sure beer sales are a good idea.
wow, $240-$300 in revenue. Heck we spent a lot less smuggling in a bottle of rum and buying cokes back in the early 70’s.

Reactions: Mrdibbs

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
The Islanders Sebastion Aho got a DUI back in Sweden this summer while driving home in the morning after sleeping off a night of drinking. His BAC was .02, so some countries have laws that believe any alcohol in the system is an impairment.
I did get in line to grab a beer at one point Saturday, then realized I didn’t need it and it was just plain miserable weather and that beer wasn’t going to help that so I passed.

His BAC was .03, and the limit was .02 ... so even there, you could have under .02 and still be deemed OK with some alcohol in your system.

Reactions: Connorpozlee

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
Let's see, full cans of beer of beer, Ohio State coming to town, and referines. Nope. Nothing can go wrong there.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Had a mother, father, and who I believed was their daughter sitting a few rows in front of us. Each one of them must have polished off 8 to 10 brews before they cut off sales. The concern I had when they left the game (and they did leave before the game was over) was either one of them being able to operate a motor vehicle legally and safely. If these folks represent their peer guzzlers in the stadium, I'm not sure beer sales are a good idea.
That’s like $250+ of overpriced crap beer. People waste their money in weird ways.

Last edited:

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
His BAC was .03, and the limit was .02 ... so even there, you could have under .02 and still be deemed OK with some alcohol in your system.
There you go. I knew it was something like that. He must have been hammered pretty well the night before.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
24 beers at 10 a pop?

PSUriseANDfire

Oct 12, 2021
i thought it surprising that they gave the fans the cans. many venues now pour everything into a cup so the can can't become a missile.

Can you imagine the amount of beer spillage in a packed house Beaver Stadium? 😪

Then we're talking about more than just the drinkers getting beer muscles.

It has been fine in college stadiums for quite awhile now. Not many people are going to be throwing full or nearly fully 10 and 12 dollar aluminum cans. It would take one hell of a cannon to throw an empty even crushed that could do damage or even reach the field.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Can you imagine the amount of beer spillage in a packed house Beaver Stadium? 😪

Then we're talking about more than just the drinkers getting beer muscles.

It has been fine in college stadiums for quite awhile now. Not many people are going to be throwing full or nearly fully 10 and 12 dollar aluminum cans. It would take one hell of a cannon to throw an empty even crushed that could do damage or even reach the field.

• Wow
Reactions: PSUriseANDfire

PSUriseANDfire

Oct 12, 2021

Was it free replica beer can day or something? That is just more strange than anything could be expected. Maybe they were selling skunked beers. Players didn't seem scared. I realize they get opened at the event on purchase usually but no explosions or anything?

Edit: 6 OT in conference Finals. Had to.have stopped serving way before. Not too hard to reach the ice in a rink. The water bottles look scarier. Still though, wtf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Connorpozlee

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Folks to my right were drinking Miller Lite pounders and to my left Michelob Ultra pounders. It honestly felt pretty normal, but as stated it wasn't exactly perfect beer drinking weather. Having tailgated very well before going in I didn't need anymore and again it was really pouring and then after the pouring stopped a heavy drizzle - a November like feel at the start of October.
LMAO at people paying 10-12 bucks for a Miller Lite or Michelob Ultra. Hell they could have just opened their mouth and let the rain fall in for free. :rolleyes:

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
No beer sales after the 3rd quarter. With 4th quarters running about an hour and a half you might be sober enough to drive when you get back to your car. ;)
:ROFLMAO: With the "pace" of the game this past Sat. that was certainly true. I know I was wet and getting cranky but I swear that was one of the longest games I"ve sat through, especially the first half. Ughhh.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Don't think you understood. People, in the past, would realize they couldn't drink for the 3-4 hours after they entered the stadium, so they'd pound alcohol at the tailgate to make up for it (and often overdo it in the process - especially toward the end of said tailgate). Now, perhaps, they'll pace themselves a bit more because they know they can get a drink inside, so they won't get as ****-faced drunk to begin with. That's the point. And once you're inside, you typically don't drink as much because of cost and ease of access (or lack thereof).
LOL, he just "fan splained" you.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Was it free replica beer can day or something? That is just more strange than anything could be expected. Maybe they were selling skunked beers. Players didn't seem scared. I realize they get opened at the event on purchase usually but no explosions or anything?

Edit: 6 OT in conference Finals. Had to.have stopped serving way before. Not too hard to reach the ice in a rink. The water bottles look scarier. Still though, wtf.
It was crazy. I’m guessing the vast majority were empty because like you said, it was OT. It was also the last game the Isles ever played at the Coliseum, so I think that was the big reason for the odd, over the top reaction.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Replace the beer with lattes. People won’t throw lattes, and the caffeine will keep fans energized. Class up Beaver Stadium.

Reactions: ApexLion and Nitwit

NoBareFeet

Oct 25, 2021
I like a cold one as much as the next fan. I also appreciate the freedom to exercise that right.

That said, it appeared to me that the sales went embarrassingly well on Saturday. I was stunned at the demand on a cold, dreary, miserable day, and that was before the game got ugly (only won by 10, five turnovers, Clifford kept playing). At how many people were double fisting. And the cans weren't small either, looked about 20-24 oz. (And those prices, oy vey)

I truly, honestly, really hope I'm wrong. But I can't help but think that there is going to be a lot more fights and confrontations in the stands due to beer muscles. Especially when things on the field aren't going well for the boys in blue.

For example, last week vs. CMU (a 19 point win), before beer became a reality inside the stadium, there was a female fan behind me two rows and a seat or two, someone who was very, very effusive for the team when the game started and was overjoyed when it was a cakewalk for the first 5-10 minutes. Then CMU started playing well, we started not playing well and it became ugly. Said female fan started loudly eff this, eff that, what the eff is this, why the eff are we doing this, why can't we effing tackle, what kind of effing coaching is this. Keep in mind this was what appeared to be a sober, less than 30 and not a student, female in EFU .

The people who make these decisions either don't go to games or don't sit with the common folk. They don't know the real-world ramifications I fear this decision will have. The telecast noted the beer sales. What happens when a brawl breaks out in the stands and is shown on TV? We've been fortunate that we haven't seen a lot of that behavior -- yet. We have, but again, not a lot. Last year there was a fight in EB near the letterman seats when the students spilled over into the regular seats due to overcrowding (overselling per ushers nearby). Just a couple punches, but it might not stop at a couple with some booze and testosterone.

JMHO from a still youngish early 50s fan who started attending in the mid 70s and is longtime NLC. I hope this decision isn't regretted down the road, but since money is the only thing that matters anymore, I doubt anyone would acknowledge it was a mistake even in blinding hindsight.
Yeah, they should ban tailgating too, since most people drink at them.

I say with a high degree of sarcasm.

Lots of fun police here. Sad!

Last edited:
Reactions: ODShowtime

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
i thought it surprising that they gave the fans the cans. many venues now pour everything into a cup so the can can't become a missile.
Places that require this are an epic disaster. The lines are ridiculously long as you wait for every can to be poured into a cup, and you double the waste and trash. If they want to require cups then they need to put in draft beer stations only. Pouring into cups creates a logistical nightmare.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
LMAO at people paying 10-12 bucks for a Miller Lite or Michelob Ultra. Hell they could have just opened their mouth and let the rain fall in for free. :rolleyes:
You guys must have it good in PA. Tallboys for $10 at a stadium isn't that bad of a deal. At my local MLS stadium a tallboy of our favorite local craft beer is $19.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
You guys must have it good in PA. Tallboys for $10 at a stadium isn't that bad of a deal. At my local MLS stadium a tallboy of our favorite local craft beer is $19.
I agree...when you look at the markup on a bottle of water at $4, the markup on the beers are a relative bargain.

Bosco2

Oct 25, 2021
Empty cans don't make much of a missile. Now, a half-full one is another story.