Former Penn State wrestler Bo Nickal set for pro MMA debut; transfer portal changes could be coming: Newsstand

Jim from Spicewood

Oct 12, 2021
Trivia question for PSU wrestling fans: What was faster? Bo's KO of John Noland or Bo pinning Sammy Brooks in the dual at Iowa in 2017?

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
Trivia question for PSU wrestling fans: What was faster? Bo's KO of John Noland or Bo pinning Sammy Brooks in the dual at Iowa in 2017?
I hold Bo pinning Sammy on a higher plateau since Sammy/Iowa are near/at the top of the sport. Plus pinning the mullet was priceless.

I'm not a close follower of MMA but wasn't Bo's opponent last night a hand picked first opponent to get a "W" under his belt and build confidence at not the highest level of the sport?

Jim from Spicewood

Oct 12, 2021
The Brooks pin took 2 seconds more. Yes, Bo is quick.
I hold Bo pinning Sammy on a higher plateau since Sammy/Iowa are near/at the top of the sport. Plus pinning the mullet was priceless.

I'm not a close follower of MMA but wasn't Bo's opponent last night a hand picked first opponent to get a "W" under his belt and build confidence at not the highest level of the sport?
Brooks was no slouch. Finished 4th that year at nationals.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
any idea what kind of money MMA athletes make? thanks. I have zero familiarity with the sport.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Nickal, 26, is a three-time Division I All American and the 2019 Hodge Trophy winner, awarded to the nation’s best collegiate wrestler. He’s competed and medaled all over the world at 92kg.

I guess it wasn't relevant to mention that he is a 3X NCAA champ and one time runner-up with a career record of 120-3. How does a journalist mess this up so badly? These are the most basic details of his accomplishments.

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
I guess it wasn't relevant to mention that he is a 3X NCAA champ and one time runner-up with a career record of 120-3. How does a journalist mess this up so badly? These are the most basic details of his accomplishments.
Wrestling & boxing doesn't care about those details. Bob Backlund didn't have half the amateur career Nickal did...but you'd think Backlund invented wrestling. Heck Brock Lesnar only has 1 NCAA title. The average American probably doesn't know the difference between an All-American and a National champ. So they figure, why sweat the details?

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Wrestling & boxing doesn't care about those details. Bob Backlund didn't have half the amateur career Nickal did...but you'd think Backlund invented wrestling. Heck Brock Lesnar only has 1 NCAA title. The average American probably doesn't know the difference between an All-American and a National champ. So they figure, why sweat the details?

They did mention that was a 3X AA. It would have taken a few more seconds of research or typing to include all of his wrestling accomplishments considering wrestling is a big part of MMA. I know this might be a "get off my lawn" moment for me here but what passes as journalism these days is often times laughable. I consider us lucky to have people at BWI who actually take their craft seriously.

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
They did mention that was a 3X AA. It would have taken a few more seconds of research or typing to include all of his wrestling accomplishments considering wrestling is a big part of MMA. I know this might be a "get off my lawn" moment for me here but what passes as journalism these days is often times laughable. I consider us lucky to have people at BWI who actually take their craft seriously.
All true. Journalism does generally svck today. Most of what they do today is to generate clicks so they can charge higher ad rates.

Thank heavens for the BWI/ON3 fellas.