Franklin's Assessment of Good Recruits on Line is Pathetic

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
Per the scholarship grid we lose Holmes, Miranda, Whigan, & Wilson.

We retain the following OL unless they leave early:

Wallace 4*
Wormley 4*
Scruggs 4*
Walker 4*
Effner 3*

We also have these 4* prospects from the class of 2020:
Christ 4*
Fashau 4*
Achumba 4*

The star ratings suggest we should be able to run the football. I remember a few years ago we struggled to run with Lynch and it was amazing how much difference it made when Barkley took over. Can Singleton make a big difference as a true freshman?
When I look at the OL roster it seems we have plenty of candidates for the interior line. But if any of them were they type of powerful Guards that could open holes for a running game, which obviously is a priority and has been for years, they would already be on the field.

And at OT Fashanu seems like the only one that is getting any significant positive reviews. If Walker leaves, Fashanu likely is a starter next season at OT.

I'd like to see Tengwall start at Guard next season. We just plain need a mauler in the interior. Well, we need 3 maulers in the middle but you have to start somewhere. Maybe Wormley, out with an injury this season but reportedly having pretty much won a starting interior spot before he got hurt, can come back strong and be an improvement as well.

Effner was a turn style at OT last week. Not sure how he has played at Guard. Scuggs should be better in his second year of playing time in 2022.

Some hope. But I'm still hoping that another stud or 2 OT's are added to the 2022 class.........

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
When I look at the OL roster it seems we have plenty of candidates for the interior line. But if any of them were they type of powerful Guards that could open holes for a running game, which obviously is a priority and has been for years, they would already be on the field.

And at OT Fashanu seems like the only one that is getting any significant positive reviews. If Walker leaves, Fashanu likely is a starter next season at OT.

I'd like to see Tengwall start at Guard next season. We just plain need a mauler in the interior. Well, we need 3 maulers in the middle but you have to start somewhere. Maybe Wormley, out with an injury this season but reportedly having pretty much won a starting interior spot before he got hurt, can come back strong and be an improvement as well.

Effner was a turn style at OT last week. Not sure how he has played at Guard. Scuggs should be better in his second year of playing time in 2022.

Some hope. But I'm still hoping that another stud or 2 OT's are added to the 2022 class.........
It's funny how people dis on guys like Walker but think he'll get drafted by the NFL.

How can our guys suck at PSU but attract the interest of NFL teams?

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
It's funny how people dis on guys like Walker but think he'll get drafted by the NFL.

How can our guys suck at PSU but attract the interest of NFL teams?
Measurables. Preseason hype. Personally, I don't think his film from this year is going to be as good as last year, but many felt the same way about Oweh.

The good news could be that he returns, gets stronger, works on the reads (stunts and speed rush have been his bane this year). Poor running game doesn't help the OL either, even if they are partly responsible.

Question is, can we get Fashnu at RT and let Tengwall and Wallace compete for RG?

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I was listening to ESPNU radio tonight, and they talked about Sparty and how the spent two years getting transfers filling most of the holes on the OL and DL. They also said the Walker (RB) was their most important factor in the run game. Then they started talking about two things Mel Tucker emphasizes - first is specific position S&C and second the blocking scheme. The comment that OL might be one of the best opportunities for transfers, and the Tucker looks for guys who fit his system (and even if they were a HS 2*). They said most coaches look for 4/5* transfers, but a lot of them already flamed out and were busts. They mentioned Florida has chased 5* transfers, and have not had much luck.
I was listening to College Sports Radio (ESPNU) on my way home tonight. Dave Revsine from BTN said he thought the issue with our running game was more O line, because our RB room was really impressive during his camp tour.