From a baseball junkie:

Islandbird

Jan 31, 2022
Watching Clemson at Notre Dame and the Irish just executed a beautiful hit and run. I've watched almost every Gamecock game this season and I don't think we have anyone that handles the bat well enough to do that. Any thoughts?

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Watching Clemson at Notre Dame and the Irish just executed a beautiful hit and run. I've watched almost every Gamecock game this season and I don't think we have anyone that handles the bat well enough to do that. Any thoughts?
I agree. We do not have small ball skills and I'm not even sure we are trying to develop those skills.

Reactions: LBGCOCK

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
True - I don't think it's a priority. Dylan Brewer maybe if the coaches wanted to try it.
It is definitely not a priority. If you can go back and look at one of Kingston's press conferences shortly after he was hired (might have been his first press conference) you will see why. He stated (I'm paraphrasing)we will not be a smallball playing team other than rarely and reluctantly. I think it's written somewhere in his analytics handbook. So it is written... so it is done.

Reactions: Backyard Archer

Islandbird

Jan 31, 2022
It is definitely not a priority. If you can go back and look at one of Kingston's press conferences shortly after he was hired (might have been his first press conference) you will see why. He stated (I'm paraphrasing)we will not be a smallball playing team other than rarely and reluctantly. I think it's written somewhere in his analytics handbook. So it is written... so it is done.
It's a skill set that Carolina can't or is not willing to develop. A hit and run can turn a potential double play into first and third without an out. It also opens up space to get a ball thru the infield. Same with a bunt - move runners over and stay out of the double play. Need to be able to get hits with RISP tho and we're not great at that either.

Reactions: Sweetwatergolf

Sparklecity

Jan 20, 2022
Who won?

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
It's a skill set that Carolina can't or is not willing to develop. A hit and run can turn a potential double play into first and third without an out. It also opens up space to get a ball thru the infield. Same with a bunt - move runners over and stay out of the double play. Need to be able to get hits with RISP tho and we're not great at that either.
You are preaching to the choir. The reason I remember Kingston's press conference is it broke my heart right out the gate. Especially given we were coming off Holbrook who's teams couldn't lay down a bunt to save their lives. I think we had more bunt flyouts than bunts that hit the ground in his last year. Anyway, I'm probably one of the biggest proponents of smallball on this site. As a coach most of my adult life I have won many championships with SB being a big part of it. One of my assistant coaches (a former MLB pitcher) once told me the reason he and his kid came to us was he liked the fact we called a lot of hit and runs... his favorite play in all of baseball. Thanks for reminding me of all that. Good times

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
world fails GIF

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Another strike out looking with the bases loaded.
Bat on the shoulder has no chance and it's a common occurrence for this team.
At least Messina swung the bat.

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
Where are the sunshine pumpers when you need them? Getting tougher to believe we can turn this around.
Even sunshine pumpers can’t excuse this disaster. There is no “Ray of sunshine” anywhere in this. If this keeps up,and I don’t see anything changing, there is no way Mr Personality can remain after this year.
my only concern is that Ray will once again take 3 months to make the hire. No one hires slower than him.

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
Even sunshine pumpers can’t excuse this disaster. There is no “Ray of sunshine” anywhere in this. If this keeps up,and I don’t see anything changing, there is no way Mr Personality can remain after this year.
my only concern is that Ray will once again take 3 months to make the hire. No one hires slower than him.
IMO the SEC will get 8 in tournament. I don't see us being in Top 8 after SEC tournament. Probably make SEC tournament and lose 1st game. Would probably take 3 wins in Hoover to remotely make top 8.
Mr Personality needs to take his analytics to the MLB.
Ray should begin his 3 month search now.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Another strike out looking with the bases loaded.
Bat on the shoulder has no chance and it's a common occurrence for this team.
At least Messina swung the bat.
I have my concerns about Messina's swing but I will say he keeps his head on the ball and it's hard to get upset with a guy that goes down swinging. Unfortunately we have at least two guys who's heads are pulling off the ball so bad they have to catch themselves from falling backwards after their swing. I don't think I seen that from a college player in forever. Blows the mind that we even have guys like that in the lineup considering both are replaceable on defense... but I guess they hit it hard every now and then and that's what we look for. smh

Reactions: Sweetwatergolf

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I would call attention to the fact that Ray was not a small-ball guy until he brought Holbrook in and the philosophy shifted visibly - and we were better off for it. Now, Holbrook ran us out of an inning now and then, but the team was better overall for adopting the small-ball threat.

Reactions: Blues man

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
I have my concerns about Messina's swing but I will say he keeps his head on the ball and it's hard to get upset with a guy that goes down swinging. Unfortunately we have at least two guys who's heads are pulling off the ball so bad they have to catch themselves from falling backwards after their swing. I don't think I seen that from a college player in forever. Blows the mind that we even have guys like that in the lineup considering both are replaceable on defense... but I guess they hit it hard every now and then and that's what we look for. smh
I believe I know who you speak of.

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
I would call attention to the fact that Ray was not a small-ball guy until he brought Holbrook in and the philosophy shifted visibly - and we were better off for it. Now, Holbrook ran us out of an inning now and then, but the team was better overall for adopting the small-ball threat.
Correct on RT not small ball philosophy. However, Ray wasn't selling his soul to analytics liked our current HC.
That is the biggest problem IMO.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Kept telling myself since it was clear early on smallball would be an after-thought with Kingston that it's ok and all good if how he wants to play works. There has never been one way to do things so it's up to him to have a successful plan. Year one good. Year two goes in the toilet. He promised changes and since then we have been what .500? I guess they could all of a sudden get hot and play the way Kingston envisioned to but it really is hard to imagine. It's fair to say we have seen what we get out of Kingston imo.

Reactions: Bubba Fett

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
I don’t know what the answer is, but I do know you have to score runs to win games! Go Cocks

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
I'm not saying it's the issue, but our walks and hpb stats have gone down and strikeouts have gone up drastically since the conference play started. I think it definitely says something about plate discipline.

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
Kept telling myself since it was clear early on smallball would be an after-thought with Kingston that it's ok and all good if how he wants to play works. There has never been one way to do things so it's up to him to have a successful plan. Year one good. Year two goes in the toilet. He promised changes and since then we have been what .500? I guess they could all of a sudden get hot and play the way Kingston envisioned to but it really is hard to imagine. It's fair to say we have seen what we get out of Kingston imo.
Speaking of strategies, I'm not a big fan of moving infielders in college ball. I don't feel most pitchers at this level can hit their spots on a high enough % to gain any benefit.
Your thoughts?

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Speaking of strategies, I'm not a big fan of moving infielders in college ball. I don't feel most pitchers at this level can hit their spots on a high enough % to gain any benefit.
Your thoughts?
No more than a couple of steps. Lol. Agree wholeheartedly. I'd go as far to say never shift if you are going up against a batter that is good at going with the pitch. One missed spot and he will make you pay. But yeah you better have a dang good pitcher for a big shift. Personally I wouldnt chance it. In fact I wouldnt consider it.. analytics be damned. What gets me is how these hitting coaches dont take a shift personal. If a scouting report said one of my guys is gonna pull everything and then I see them pitch to him outside anyway on a pull shift, I'd look at that as a complete failure on my part

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
No more than a couple of steps. Lol. Agree wholeheartedly. I'd go as far to say never shift if you are going up against a batter that is good at going with the pitch. One missed spot and he will make you pay. But yeah you better have a dang good pitcher for a big shift. Personally I wouldnt chance it. In fact I wouldnt consider it.. analytics be damned. What gets me is how these hitting coaches dont take a shift personal. If a scouting report said one of my guys is gonna pull everything and then I see them pitch to him outside anyway on a pull shift, I'd look at that as a complete failure on my part
Yesterday, down 3 in 8th no outs needing base runners. Aggies giving a bunt single down 3rd base. We pull one to right side for easy ground out. Unreal !

Islandbird

Jan 31, 2022
Your thoughts?
Benefits don't seem to outweigh the negatives. Plenty of balls go right thru the hole where the 2nd baseman or shortstop would have been in traditional spots. The shift can make a double play more difficult for middle infielders and if the batter can bunt, it's an easy single.