Gavin restaurant- offers $16/hr job

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
A steak there is $67 . Good thing it’s not a chain of fast food, lol
$16 an hour in a restaurant with those prices is pretty good you know? Most restaurants that have a tip option pay like $3.50 an hour.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
$16 an hour in a restaurant with those prices is pretty good you know? Most restaurants that have a tip option pay like $3.50 an hour.
Places like In-n-Out, Panda Express, and Starbucks were already paying $18-$20+. PlumpJack is in Tahoe. People dining at a place like that are skiers, they have money to spend so the service workers should also be paid accordingly, tip or not.

The tipped minimum wage in CA is $11 if there are fewer than 25 employees and $12 if more than 26. This particular job was listed as $16 plus tips but as a busser, who likely just shares in a tip pool, their take home pay would probably still be less than flipping burgers at a Mickey D's.

My daughter was shocked when she found out some of her GA friends who waitressed made such little money and depended fully on tips. $5.15 minimum wage is nuts. Fun fact, the highest paying job for UGA students on campus is as a bus driver which is $15+.

Reactions: Pudly76

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Places like In-n-Out, Panda Express, and Starbucks were already paying $18-$20+. PlumpJack is in Tahoe. People dining at a place like that are skiers, they have money to spend so the service workers should also be paid accordingly, tip or not.

The tipped minimum wage in CA is $11 if there are fewer than 25 employees and $12 if more than 26. This particular job was listed as $16 plus tips but as a busser, who likely just shares in a tip pool, their take home pay would probably still be less than flipping burgers at a Mickey D's.

My daughter was shocked when she found out some of her GA friends who waitressed made such little money and depended fully on tips. $5.15 minimum wage is nuts. Fun fact, the highest paying job for UGA students on campus is as a bus driver which is $15+.
Ah $5.15, I knew it was low here. Thanks for the correction. My daughter worked at the main library when she was there but not certain what she made.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017

My teenage son works at Jersey Mike's. His wage was just over $20/hrs with tips..... we can debate tipping at a fast food sandwich joint.
Curious what it will be when he gets paid tomorrow after the increase to $20 minimum. They already increased prices knowing this was coming so tipping probably stays consistent. Which means it will be around $24/hr

4thamp1

Aug 24, 2017
I would think that workers that did well on tips and did not declare it on their taxes are the ones that will feel it the most if diners do not tip as well as before or not at all.

As for me, I was pretty much done with fast food years ago because of the poor quality and health effects.
Much more fit since I cut that out of my life.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
As for me, I was pretty much done with fast food years ago because of the poor quality and health effects.
Much more fit since I cut that out of my life.
This ^^^^^^.

It's the one very good outcome of what's happened but I also tend to think there will now be more pressure from libs to eliminate proteins, specifically beef and we'll be paying ridiculous prices just to get a decent steak at the grocery store. And the smaller farmers who are strictly grass-fed and finished could get squeezed out.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Kids like In and Out, McDonalds gets mostly seniors. Locally we have shut down about 3 Burger Kings, and a Carls Jr. We still have a Wendys, do not know why? Things changes, seems like is all about Asian food now. The chain thing is not working well anymore.

What I have never understood about these fast food places is where is the owner, I do not see how anyone can run a business and not be there everyday.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
What I have never understood about these fast food places is where is the owner, I do not see how anyone can run a business and not be there everyday.
Seriously? You think owners need to be present to have a successful business?

Reactions: SouthbayTrojan91

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Seriously? You think owners need to be present to have a successful business?
Exactly.Over 40% of fast food franchise owners have between two and five locations. Chick fil a is an outlier as they limit franchise owners to just one.

Anecdotally, former Trojan football player, Fred Hill owns several McDonald's in South Orange county. He's now 80. I don't think he's been to the local franchise by me in probably twenty years.

Most fast food franchises are turn-key with easy to identify and set up processes. Day to day sheduling and management is easily handled by mid level managers, an owner is not required.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Kids like In and Out, McDonalds gets mostly seniors. Locally we have shut down about 3 Burger Kings, and a Carls Jr. We still have a Wendys, do not know why? Things changes, seems like is all about Asian food now. The chain thing is not working well anymore.

McDonald's business is doing excellent. An owner never has one store. At McDonald's 4 stores makes you a small owner and they try and buy you out.
So, you think someone who has 8-10 stores should be at the stores?

I assume you are under the misunderstanding that every store is owned by a different person.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Exactly.Over 40% of fast food franchise owners have between two and five locations. Chick fil a is an outlier as they limit franchise owners to just one.

Anecdotally, former Trojan football player, Fred Hill owns several McDonald's in South Orange county. He's now 80. I don't think he's been to the local franchise by me in probably twenty years.

Most fast food franchises are turn-key with easy to identify and set up processes. Day to day sheduling and management is easily handled by mid level managers, an owner is not required.
Did not know that about In N Out.
I am most familiar with McDonald's. Many, if not most, have offices they go to every day.
At.thoses office.they are running a business. They have staff there that handles IT, HR, Comms, etc..... just like any business

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017

I am fully aware what the franchise model is. I just not see it working anymore. The places I see flourishing have owners on site or at least a legitimate manager. Even Starbucks is losing their younger customers to the independents.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
I am fully aware what the franchise model is. I just not see it working anymore. The places I see flourishing have owners on site or at least a legitimate manager. Even Starbucks is losing their younger customers to the independents.
  • McDonald's annual revenue for 2023 was $25.494B, a 9.97% increase from 2022.
  • Starbucks revenue for the twelve months ending December 31, 2023 was $36.687B, a 11.46% increase year-over-year.
Two companies I am extremely familiar with. Those are the two companies that pay majority of my income.
You are like the guy who looks out his window and sees rain in the front yard and says "it is raining everywhere in the county. we are all going to drown"

5 days ago, I sat with a long-time owner operator located in the Houston and area and discussed in length the state of this business model.

Don't really care what you think about this stuff. But this is a recurring thought process with you.

Last edited:

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
  • McDonald's annual revenue for 2023 was $25.494B, a 9.97% increase from 2022.
  • Starbucks revenue for the twelve months ending December 31, 2023 was $36.687B, a 11.46% increase year-over-year.
Two companies I am extremely familiar with. Those are the two companies that pay majority of my income.
You are like the guy who looks out his window and sees rain in the front yard and says "it is raining everywhere in the county. we are all going to drown"

5 days ago, I sat with a long-time owner operator located in the Houston and area and discussed in length the state of this business model.

Don't really care what you think about this stuff. But this is a recurring thought process with you.
You have a point. Texas does love chains. Applebees and Cracker Barrel. We had an Applebees. Lasted one year.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
McDonald's business is doing excellent. An owner never has one store. At McDonald's 4 stores makes you a small owner and they try and buy you out.
So, you think someone who has 8-10 stores should be at the stores?

I assume you are under the misunderstanding that every store is owned by a different person.
"Well, turns out there’s one group that happy to admit they eat at MickeyD’s on the regular: young people. Business Insider recently surveyed 1,884 members of Generation Z — a group the site defined as between the ages of 13 and 21 — about their restaurant chain eating habits, and the Golden Arches “dominated the list.”

Top 5-
  1. McDonald’s (62.79 percent)
  2. Taco Bell (43.52 percent)
  3. Wendy’s (42.09 percent)
  4. Burger King (41.99 percent)
  5. Starbucks (40.18 percent)

One thing that most people understand is that seniors don't use electronics nearly as much as younger generations. They prefer human interaction. Talking to other people helps them feel less lonely and isolated. In-n-Out is dedicated to avoiding mobile ordering and they don't allow food delivery services. They depend on customer service and a clean, friendly dine-in experience. Its' built to accommodate seniors.

I realize that YOU know this, lol.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
What state has the most Cracker Barrels? Florida.
What state has the most Applebees? California.

Texas' most popular fast food location is Subway. I think most folks think of Whataburger when they want burger fast food in Texas.

Cracker Barrel is primarily a Southern chain. It started in Tennessee.

If I was going to invest in a fast food/convenience type business....

Give me Wawa or Buc-ee's.

• Haha

DP'4'Life

May 11, 2023
What state has the most Cracker Barrels? Florida.
What state has the most Applebees? California.

Texas' most popular fast food location is Subway. I think most folks think of Whataburger when they want burger fast food in Texas.

Cracker Barrel is primarily a Southern chain. It started in Tennessee.

If I was going to invest in a fast food/convenience type business....

Give me Wawa or Buc-ee's.
Agree. Every Buc-ee's I've encountered in Texas is packed 24/7.

• Wow

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Agree. Every Buc-ee's I've encountered in Texas is packed 24/7.
I've been to the one in Leeds AL twice, one in Florida, one near Houston, and 3 different ones in other places in Texas.

Always busy, always friendly, always the cleanest freaking bathrooms.

"Fresh brisket on the board!" IYKYK.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
"Well, turns out there’s one group that happy to admit they eat at MickeyD’s on the regular: young people. Business Insider recently surveyed 1,884 members of Generation Z — a group the site defined as between the ages of 13 and 21 — about their restaurant chain eating habits, and the Golden Arches “dominated the list.”

Top 5-
  1. McDonald’s (62.79 percent)
  2. Taco Bell (43.52 percent)
  3. Wendy’s (42.09 percent)
  4. Burger King (41.99 percent)
  5. Starbucks (40.18 percent)

One thing that most people understand is that seniors don't use electronics nearly as much as younger generations. They prefer human interaction. Talking to other people helps them feel less lonely and isolated. In-n-Out is dedicated to avoiding mobile ordering and they don't allow food delivery services. They depend on customer service and a clean, friendly dine-in experience. Its' built to accommodate seniors.

I realize that YOU know this, lol.
So you are telling me the geners like McDonald’s. Ask your kids and get back to me

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Follow up, so just by chance we decided to go to the local Chick fil A. Its been there for at least 10 years after we bounced a Burger King, but we have only been there once before, because I really do not get the attraction, but it does get huge lines about everyday. So yes we saw the owner, and I know it was the owner because he had a welcome picture on the front door. I have to say, I have never seen a cleaner fast food, everything was spotless, all tables wiped, no trays laying around, clean windows, no graffiti, plus every table had fresh flowers. Staff all had the same uniform and looked sharp, we were welcomed when coming and also leaving, by several staff. SO I know this is not the franchise standard, but if had a multi million dollar investment that brings in several million a year, I would be there everyday. BTW still do not get the attraction seemed like overpriced chicken sandwiches. El Pollo Loco in the same center is much better. Their service is also pretty good.

Last edited:

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Follow up, so just by chance we decided to go to the local Chick fil A. Its been there for at least 10 years after we bounced a Burger King, but we have only been there once before, because I really do not get the attraction, but it does get huge lines about everyday. So yes we saw the owner, and I know it was the owner because he had a welcome picture on the front door. I have to say, I have never seen a cleaner fast food, everything was spotless, all tables wiped, no trays laying around, clean windows, no graffiti, plus every table had fresh flowers. Staff all had the same uniform and looked sharp, we were welcomed when coming and also leaving, by several staff. SO I know this is not the franchise standard, but if had a multi million dollar investment that brings in several million a year, I would be there everyday. BTW still do not get the attraction seemed like overpriced chicken sandwiches. El Pollo Loco in the same center is much better. Their service is also pretty good.
Chick Fil A doesn't allow multi-franchise ownership. Sure, if that's his only job, it should be clean and spotless.

I can't remember the last time I actually sat down and wanted to eat at a fast food restaurant other than going to the local In-n-Out after soccer/softball/track practice with teammates and parents. Every shift at an In-n-Out has a full-time member assigned to the dining room to keep supplies filled, tables wiped, floor mopped, customers happy. They are trained to engage with customers. They have a strict dress code that contains nine distinct pieces...."a white shirt, pants, and socks; a pair of black shoes and a belt; a hat; a red apron with a gold apron pin; and an In-N-Out name tag. They have to maintain a neat, well-kept personal appearance. All male employees must be clean-shaven and keep their hair trimmed, while female employees must always tuck their hair into their hat whenever they are working. No employees of either gender are allowed to have an unnatural hair color, such as blue or pink, and visible piercings are only permitted in the earlobes, with no more than two in each ear."

Like I said, over 40% of fast-food franchise owners have between 2-5 restaurants. You can't, and don't need, to be there every day. The majority of customers, other than road travelers, are driving through, not dining in. A highly-functioning and busy fast-food restaurant can roll 100 cars in an hour. They are not welcoming 100 people an hour inside to eat.

Chick-Fil-A in CA is not the same as Chik-Fil-A in the South. Period.

Ride Fly

Aug 24, 2017
Starbucks is losing many of its Based customers. Conservatives don’t want to patronize companies like Starbucks with its woke policies and woke employees. Simple as that. Oh, and there is the fact their coffee tastes like schiesse

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Starbucks is losing many of its Based customers. Conservatives don’t want to patronize companies like Starbucks with its woke policies and woke employees. Simple as that. Oh, and there is the fact their coffee tastes like schiesse
Scheisse or Scheiße

• Haha
Reactions: Ride Fly

Latest posts