Group coming in for a Football Game

SpMSU0410

Dec 7, 2022
Greetings!

Myself and a group of guys (Early to mid 30s) get together every year for an annual pilgrimage to a new college football town every fall to see the sites and take in the atmosphere. This year we voted to make our way to Columbia, South Carolina! We are coming in for the USC v. Ole Miss Football game on Oct. 5th.

Would love some local knowledge on anything we shouldn't miss!

Best places to eat?
Best Bars to drink at?
Best place to enjoy tailgate on Saturday (We are usually nomadic and like to move about and meet people rather than set ourselves up in one location).
Gameday traditions?

Appreciate it!

Reactions: will110

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Greetings!

Myself and a group of guys (Early to mid 30s) get together every year for an annual pilgrimage to a new college football town every fall to see the sites and take in the atmosphere. This year we voted to make our way to Columbia, South Carolina! We are coming in for the USC v. Ole Miss Football game on Oct. 5th.

Best places to eat?
Best Bars to drink at?
Best place to enjoy tailgate on Saturday (We are usually nomadic and like to move about and meet people rather than set ourselves up in one location).
Gameday traditions?

Appreciate it!
Who is your team?

I've never been much of a tailgater, but a couple great local spots for food: Thirsty Fellow and The Kingsman.

I know I'm biased, but Carolina has some of the best gameday traditions in the SEC. The 2001 entrance is second to none and Sandstorm is awesome. The atmosphere for the Ole Miss game should be especially loud with the return of Juice Wells in an opposing uniform. You definitely want to get in your seat 30 minutes before kickoff to see the pageantry.

Hopefully it's a night game! Being under the lights at Williams Brice is a phenomenal experience.

SpMSU0410

Dec 7, 2022
Who is your team?

I've never been much of a tailgater, but a couple great local spots for food: Thirsty Fellow and The Kingsman.

I know I'm biased, but Carolina has some of the best gameday traditions in the SEC. The 2001 entrance is second to none and Sandstorm is awesome. The atmosphere for the Ole Miss game should be especially loud with the return of Juice Wells in an opposing uniform. You definitely want to get in your seat 30 minutes before kickoff to see the pageantry.

Hopefully it's a night game! Being under the lights at Williams Brice is a phenomenal experience.
Thanks! Most of us went to Michigan State with a couple randoms thrown in. But we will all be wearing Garnet and Black on Saturday! Also my whole family grew up Virginia Tech fans so I will always pull for a member of the Beamer family!

Reactions: vacock and will110

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Thanks! Most of us went to Michigan State with a couple randoms thrown in. But we will all be wearing Garnet and Black on Saturday! Also my whole family grew up Virginia Tech fans so I will always pull for a member of the Beamer family!
Pretty awesome tradition. Where all have you been so far?

VZVZ

Garnet Trust Supporter
Jun 20, 2023
Greetings!

Best places to eat?
Best Bars to drink at?
Gameday traditions?

Appreciate it!
The tailgating on the fairgrounds side paved area is crazier and more likely approachable in nature. The individual tailgate space is smaller but I’ve found it easier to be watchful to keep an eye out for wandering trouble (scammers and people who aren’t going to the game).

Gamecock Park (opposite side) is grassy and nice but more insulated. Better bathrooms. Strangers do come through on that side but it’s weird when they walk up on your tailgate. I would not personally visit an unknown tailgate in Gamecock Park without invitation but that’s me.

Cockabooses can be viewed without physically going in.

The Gamecocks subReddit or the pay portion of this site is going to give you better information than here.

Dont use the CLA shuttle from campus. Ignore that advice if somebody gives it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpMSU0410
Jan 24, 2022
Ah, the Dantonio’s were earning their Block C’s right after my time down there. Mark got his first coaching job in the upstate.

Food is so subjective. Try to find some vinegar based Q.
Get parked early (4+ hours before ko), and stay late. Fairgrounds is as good as any spot, but u will be chased out couple hours after game is over.
Safe trave

Feb 24, 2024
Best places to eat?
Best Bars to drink at?
Columbia native but haven't lived there since 2005. When I go back, THESE are the places I prioritize. So not really a "locals" context, rather a "what do I prioritize when time is scarce" context. All in the downtown/campus convenient area:

Lunch Eats: Groucho's of Five Points, Drake's Duck-In, DiPratos, Gourmet Shop, Motor Supply Co, Salty Nut

Barbecue: Hites Bar-B-Que

Dinner: Blue Marlin, Hall's, Mr. Friendly's, Saluda's, Village Idiot

Bars: Jake's, Bar None

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Greetings!

Best places to eat?
Best Bars to drink at?
Gameday traditions?

Appreciate it!
Y'all's custom strikes me as tons of fun! I say that because, even as a Gamecock fan, I have always enjoyed road trips and Florida bowl trips with friends to a much greater extent than home games.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks
Feb 24, 2024
Y'all's custom strikes me as tons of fun! I say that because, even as a Gamecock fan, I have always enjoyed road trips and Florida bowl trips with friends to a much greater extent than home games.
Hear, hear. Despite the loss, my trip with best friends to SC @ LSU in 2012 is a treasured memory of mine. And this past fall I went to Ohio State @ Michigan with best friends. Amazing trips.

Reactions: KingWard

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Hear, hear. Despite the loss, my trip with best friends to SC @ LSU in 2012 is a treasured memory of mine. And this past fall I went to Ohio State @ Michigan with best friends. Amazing trips.
I've had great trips to Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, Virginia, NC State, Florida, Kentucky, and Ole Miss, plus three winning bowl trips to Florida. I've loved them all. In terms of overall enjoyment of the opponent's fans, Ole Miss was the clear winner. The Grove is special, I think.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks
Feb 24, 2024
I've had great trips to Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, Virginia, NC State, Florida, Kentucky, and Ole Miss, plus three winning bowl trips to Florida. I've loved them all. In terms of overall enjoyment of the opponent's fans, Ole Miss was the clear winner. The Grove is special, I think.
My wife's family all went to Ole Miss and we did The Grove for the 2018 48-44 shootout Gamecock win.

I've only been to one SC bowl game, and it was THE Belk Bowl debacle. Other 2 bowl games I've been to were blowout wins for my friends and family (Ole Miss over Texas Tech in the Cotton Bowl 2009(?) and Michigan over Washington in this years CFP title game.

Feb 24, 2024
I've had great trips to Virginia
Were you at the 2002 SC @ UVA game where we turned it over like five times in the second half? I was there.

The world learned who David Pollack is the next weekend at WB. I was there too. I'm still convinced the speed option to the field side was the right call. Pinnock would have waltzed in.

SpMSU0410

Dec 7, 2022
We decided upon it when we realized we had no more bachelor parties we could attend!

SpMSU0410

Dec 7, 2022
That great! We haven't had a bad trip yet, every place the fans have been very welcoming, our only hiccup so far was when we went to WVU vs. TCU in late Oct. and it was 40 degrees and 40 mph winds. We decided after that to stay south when possible!

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
That great! We haven't had a bad trip yet, every place the fans have been very welcoming, our only hiccup so far was when we went to WVU vs. TCU in late Oct. and it was 40 degrees and 40 mph winds. We decided after that to stay south when possible!
You'll be well-treated in Columbia. The buzz is good. Understand that our stadium is at the fairgrounds near campus, but not on campus. There have been good fan enhancements in the stadium area but it won't be as bucolic as with an on-campus setting. I just think you should be aware.

SpMSU0410

Dec 7, 2022
You'll be well-treated in Columbia. The buzz is good.
One of the major contributing factors to picking USC (not you, trojans) was our trip to Kentucky last year. A tailgate we hooked up with, the wife of the guy was a USC grad and said it is a much wilder and more fun time in Columbia than it is in Lexington!

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
One of the major contributing factors to picking USC (not you, trojans) was our trip to Kentucky last year. A tailgate we hooked up with, the wife of the guy was a USC grad and said it is a much wilder and more fun time in Columbia than it is in Lexington!
See my edit to post #18.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Were you at the 2002 SC @ UVA game where we turned it over like five times in the second half? I was there.

The world learned who David Pollack is the next weekend at WB. I was there too. I'm still convinced the speed option to the field side was the right call. Pinnock would have waltzed in.
Indeed I was. Great trip. We did Monticello that morning.

Their offense boat-raced us. I think this was the beginning of the end for Holtz in that it signaled his intention to try to reinvent Tony Rice in Jenkins. That era had passed.

We were fortunate to have had Petty because Skip's philosophies were more in line with Petty's skill set.

As for the Georgia game, I agree that the Pinnock play was the right call; he just dropped it. He would have scored and we would have beaten Georgia for the third year in a row.

A win there would have changed the arc of the season, if not the entire Holtz regime. Still, going away from Skip's offensive template was fateful in a bad way over time.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
To be fair to UK, football is a pretty distant second to basketball in Lexington. Their football fans are generally marking time until basketball starts.

Big JC

May 12, 2023

Their offense boat-raced us. I think this was the beginning of the end for Holtz in that it signaled his intention to try to reinvent Tony Rice in Jenkins. That era had passed.

We were fortunate to have had Petty because Skip's philosophies were more in line with Petty's skill set.

As for the Georgia game, I agree that the Pinnock play was the right call; he just dropped it. He would have scored and we would have beaten Georgia for the third year in a row.

A win there would have changed the arc of the season, if not the entire Holtz regime. Still, going away from Skip's offensive template was fateful in a bad way over time.

Sadly, Carolina football is a pretty well unbroken streak of "if...".

• Haha
Reactions: will110

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
The difference is; most programs "ifs" are about individual games, ours apply to whole seasons.
One thing leads to the other when two or three-loss seasons are viewed as unacceptable.

Latest posts