Happy Evacuation Day...

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
Seems appropriate as I am heading to Boston today from Dallas to visit my 85 year old mother (a woman who'd argue scripture with Jesus Christ himself).

Oh yes, and Happy St. Patrick's Day... but remember, St Patrick was not Irish, he was English ( maybe Scottish), born a Roman citizen behind Hadrien's Wall.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I'm at a conference on the American Revolution this weekend. As you might imagine, Evacuation Day in Boston has been mentioned several times, including a few times by some of the speakers.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
One of the greatest examples of military deception in history.

lol, there certainly were major elements of deception in what was erected on Dorchester Heights. But there were real cannons as well, and Howe, despite the army available to him in Boston and the naval ships available in the harbor, didn't have a great option for opposing or attacking the patriot positions. Howe's mistake was in not securing/occupying Dorchester Heights in the previous months, when he could have done so without great cost to him in terms of men and supplies.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Done!

Oct 6, 2021
lol, there certainly were major elements of deception in what was erected on Dorchester Heights. But there were real cannons as well, and Howe, despite the army available to him in Boston and the naval ships available in the harbor, didn't have a great option for opposing or attacking the patriot positions. Howe's mistake was in not securing/occupying Dorchester Heights in the previous months, when he could have done so without great cost to him in terms of men and supplies.

I actually went to high school less than a mile from Dot Heights

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Seems appropriate as I am heading to Boston today from Dallas to visit my 85 year old mother (a woman who'd argue scripture with Jesus Christ himself).

bro I know and call family 40 girls just like that. So good

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
(a woman who'd argue scripture with Jesus Christ himself).
As Larry The Cable Guy would say, that’s funny.

On a serious note, You’ve shared some of your history and struggles throughout time on this site. I applaud your recovery And wish you continued success and triumph.

How did your mom take it all (Given the Jesus line :))

Oct 6, 2021
As Larry The Cable Guy would say, that’s funny.

On a serious note, You’ve shared some of your history and struggles throughout time on this site. I applaud your recovery And wish you continued success and triumph.

How did your mom take it all (Given the Jesus line :))
Thanks...

Years ago when I went off to Hazelden for my 5th trip through rehab my mother said I was, "an embarrassment to the family". 5+ years later when I had my life back on the rails I called her out on that statement, told her it was a bit harsh.

She thought about for a few seconds and responded, "OK, you're not an embarrassment, you're just a disappointment". I knew that was as god as it was ever going to get.

• Love
Reactions: AvgUser and LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Thanks...

Years ago when I went off to Hazelden for my 5th trip through rehab my mother said I was, "an embarrassment to the family". 5+ years later when I had my life back on the rails I called her out on that statement, told her it was a bit harsh.

She thought about for a few seconds and responded, "OK, you're not an embarrassment, you're just a disappointment". I knew that was as god as it was ever going to get.
I’ll give y’all a laugh. Might be long, apologies.

As you know, I transferred from PSU to Gallaudet, in DC. You probably also know that my family is from Washington; I grew up in Bucks County because my dad got a job at General Electric next to the Palestra. Anyhow, my Aunt Joan (mother’s sister) was a distinguished professor of speech at George Washington U and she’s on a plane at Reagan waiting to fly to a conference. Two women sit down next to her, her row, and they’re going to the same conference, Shirley S and Rosemary W. (@IrishHerb). Shirley was my advisor (it was my first semester and I hadn’t yet been given an advisor in the math department). I happened to be in Rosemary’s Public Speaking class that semester.

Joan: Oh, you teach at Gallaudet? You must know my nephew Jim.

Shirley: I do indeed. Sorry to tell you this but he’s a con man.

Joan: Rosemary, do you agree?

Rosemary: (Rosemary was a very dignified woman, very regal bearing.) Well, yes. But he’s polite.

Joan tore me a new one when she got back. it’s always good to have someone call you on your BS. It took me a long time to grow up.

Oct 6, 2021
I’ll give y’all a laugh. Might be long, apologies.

As you know, I transferred from PSU to Gallaudet, in DC. You probably also know that my family is from Washington; I grew up in Bucks County because my dad got a job at General Electric next to the Palestra. Anyhow, my Aunt Joan (mother’s sister) was a distinguished professor of speech at George Washington U and she’s on a plane at Reagan waiting to fly to a conference. Two women sit down next to her, her row, and they’re going to the same conference, Shirley S and Rosemary W. (@IrishHerb). Shirley was my advisor (it was my first semester and I hadn’t yet been given an advisor in the math department). I happened to be in Rosemary’s Public Speaking class that semester.

Joan: Oh, you teach at Gallaudet? You must know my nephew Jim.

Shirley: I do indeed. Sorry to tell you this but he’s a con man.

Joan: Rosemary, do you agree?

Rosemary: (Rosemary was a very dignified woman, very regal bearing.) Well, yes. But he’s polite.

Joan tore me a new one when she got back. it’s always good to have someone call you on your BS. It took me a long time to grow up.
Nice, a con man... where I grew up that was high praise :)

Latest posts