Harbor inches closer to automatic qualifier for Olympic trials

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Put up a personal best 20.36 in the 200 m yesterday. Automatic qualifying cutoff is 20.30. Per Beamer: "It would be really, really cool for our university, for our football program, for our track program, but most importantly, for Nyck. I know how passionate he is about track. He’s a great young man. so humble as well, so I’m hoping it happens." BUT, he added "It wouldn’t be great from a football standpoint because of the amount of time that he would miss with football."

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I'm really beginning to think that we end up getting zero from him on the football field. So be it. I hope he's uber-successful in track for his sake.

It's the first I can recall Beamer conceding it's not ideal for football.

Team workouts start next week. Harbor will miss those. Of course, he's going to be in tip top shape from working on track all summer, but training for track is not the same as training for football.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
He has earned an automatic qualifier bid for the 200 m Olympic trials to be held in late June and moves one step closer to being MIA in football until midway through fall practice.

Benjdan

Joined Mar 4, 2007
Feb 19, 2022
I don’t like the idea of him spending all summer in Oregon. Too much Nike influence out there.

TooCocky

Joined Aug 2, 2018
Jan 31, 2022
I don’t like the idea of him spending all summer in Oregon. Too much Nike influence out there.
He already had the opportunity to go there. Plus they, like us would only be getting a track star that wants to take up a fb scholarship. I mean I hope the best for the kid but as I’ve stated in numerous threads he’s never going to be a major contributor for our fb program.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Well, thankfully, he fell a bit short and missed the finals for the 100 m and 200 m. Still has the Olympic trials later this month, but the odds are against him earning a spot. Thank goodness.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
You would never see me actively pulling against a Gamecock athlete to advance to the Olympics.

Maybe not actively, but selfishly I'll admit I'd rather see him on the football field sooner.

Eh, yeah, if we have to choose between Harbor making the Olympics or producing for the football team, I'll take the latter. every time. Those two are opposed to each other right now.

Unless we've accepted that he's really here for track and anything he produces in football is a bonus.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
Eh, yeah, if we have to choose between Harbor making the Olympics or producing for the football team, I'll take the latter. every time. Those two are opposed to each other right now.

Unless we've accepted that he's really here for track and anything he produces in football is a bonus.
I have known from the start his first love is track and his dream over everything is to run track in the Olympics. There was no secret about any of that while he was being recruited. Had USC not been one of the schools that agreed in advance for him to pursue that dream, he would be at another school now instead of USC. So if the ones who recruited him have no problem with it, neither do I. I think it would be awesome to see him represent the USA in the 2024 Summer Olympics.

Reactions: 1Harleyhog

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I have known from the start his first love is track and his dream over everything is to run track in the Olympics. There was no secret about any of that while he was being recruited. Had USC not been one of the schools that agreed in advance for him to pursue that dream, he would be at another school now instead of USC. So if the ones who recruited him have no problem with it, neither do I. I think it would be awesome to see him represent the USA in the 2024 Summer Olympics.

All that really matters for us if he contributes in football. Would it be neato for him to run at the Olympics and represent USC? Sure.

Reactions: Lurker123

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022

Well, fortunately, different people have different opinions and different values. If I could choose between Harbor being an olympic gold medalist vs an All-American football receiver, I'd choose the former. Every time.

Reactions: Gamecock72

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Well, fortunately, different people have different opinions and different values. If I could choose between Harbor being an olympic gold medalist vs an All-American football receiver, I'd choose the former. Every time.
Football pays the bills. That’s all I know.

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
Football pays the bills. That’s all I know.
For sure. It does. I try to look at ambition and accomplishment in ways other than money and football. For me personally, olympics > football. At the same time, I don't discount football.

You and I are neither right nor wrong in our opinions. Just different.

Prestonite53

May 26, 2024
If Nyck wants to be a part of helping the football team win football games, he will make it happen.
It's up to him and his commitment.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If Nyck wants to be a part of helping the football team win football games, he will make it happen.
It's up to him and his commitment.
Not to mention, he’s chewing up a scholarship for someone else who could actually be practicing football like all the other football players right now.