Here we go again - Washington Commanders may change name

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
The new ownership of the Commanders (one of whom is Magic Johnson) say they will look into a name change at the end of the season.

If they do it, I say they go back to "The Washington Football Team." It's clean. It's unique. And mascots are lame and for children anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: CWW and will110

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
It's actually a really smart money-making ploy. If you change names every couple years the fans have to replace all their gear. It's a a great plan as long as the fans don't get fed up with the ridiculousness and quit.

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
The new ownership of the Commanders (one of whom is Magic Johnson) say they will look into a name change at the end of the season.

If they do it, I say they go back to "The Washington Football Team." It's clean. It's unique. And mascots are lame and for children anyway.
'Skins (no red)...and but George on the helmet. Easy fix.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
It's actually a really smart money-making ploy. If you change names every couple years the fans have to replace all their gear. It's a a great plan as long as the fans don't get fed up with the ridiculousness and quit.

This is probably the main reason.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It’ll hard to find someone more lame than Washington Football Team or Commanders, but I have faith they can do it. Wokeness has no shame.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Maybe they’ll change the first name? D.C. Commanders? I like D.C. Generals if they have to have a mascot.

it is silly though that every team has to have a mascot for marketing purposes from day 1. Let it come naturally - which is how mascots used to come about. Forcing a silly thing like a mascot down fans throats is stupid. They’ll still root for your team, just wait it out and get a good name.

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
Maybe they’ll change the first name? D.C. Commanders? I like D.C. Generals if they have to have a mascot.

it is silly though that every team has to have a mascot for marketing purposes from day 1. Let it come naturally - which is how mascots used to come about. Forcing a silly thing like a mascot down fans throats is stupid. They’ll still root for your team, just wait it out and get a good name.
A lot of people stopped pulling for Washington when they dropped thier mascot.
My wife's family were all Redskins fans, not anymore.
The stands at FedEx field are usually filled with the visitors fans now. It's nothing like it used to be.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022

Weren't the Washington Generals one of the lame duck opponents of the Harlem Globetrotters? 🤔 Yeah, that could work.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
A lot of people stopped pulling for Washington when they dropped thier mascot.
My wife's family were all Redskins fans, not anymore.
The stands at FedEx field are usually filled with the visitors fans now. It's nothing like it used to be.

I'm sure it was a lot easier to stop being a fan after Snyder ran the franchise into the ground for two decades. If they were on a run like say the Chiefs right now, no one is leaving because of a silly mascot name. Take Georgia, they could change their name to the Georgia Transgendered Bulldogs and that stadium is going to be packed as long as Kirby Smart is the coach.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
While vacationing in northern Arizona I drove past an Indian high school that had an exact copy of the Washington Redskins logo hanging on the side of their stadium.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
I'm sure it was a lot easier to stop being a fan after Snyder ran the franchise into the ground for two decades. If they were on a run like say the Chiefs right now, no one is leaving because of a silly mascot name. Take Georgia, they could change their name to the Georgia Transgendered Bulldogs and that stadium is going to be packed as long as Kirby Smart is the coach.
I was thinking Georgia Crime Dogs - they are fighting Bama for the league lead for law enforcement encounters by athletic program team members.

ScWildthing61

Jan 23, 2022
The Friday morning after the team sale went through, Al Coleman who hosts "Sportsphone with big Al" from 8-10 on ESPN 106.1, Opened his show with the song Hit the road Jack, in reference to Dan Snyder. He has routinely mentioned on his show how poorly Snyder ran things during his time there.

Apparently the new owner called up a couple of local bars in the D.C area and ordered free drinks for everyone. More than Snyder ever did for the fans in his time there.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Snyder paid $800 million for the team in 1999. He sold it in 2023 for $6.05 billion.

I sure hope he learned his lesson;

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
Regardless of what they choose to call themselves, I will ALWAYS call them the Redskins. The #27 jersey in my closet is a Redskins jersey. My tervis is a Redskins tervis. I will sing Hail to the Redskins after each score. It will be #HTTR until the day I die.

Reactions: SCcocks4ever

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
They should change the name. It's a stupid one. They missed the boat by not naming the team The Hogs or something that's part of their tradition

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
They should change the name. It's a stupid one. They missed the boat by not naming the team The Hogs or something that's part of their tradition

Now that's something I can get behind as it relates to a mascot. It's organic and unique to the team. However, they'll just end up paying a marketing company millions to come up with something "iconic" - like that's really possible.

Reactions: The Reel Ess

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
It’ll hard to find someone more lame than Washington Football Team or Commanders, but I have faith they can do it. Wokeness has no shame.
I don't think this about Wokeness. People are just not thrilled with the "Commanders" as a name. Change and Wokeness are not the same, however, maybe it is in your opinion. People seem to label anything they don't like "woke" these days having no idea how the term originated or what it is supposed to mean.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
I don't think this about Wokeness. People are just not thrilled with the "Commanders" as a name. Change and Wokeness are not the same, however, maybe it is in your opinion. People seem to label anything they don't like "woke" these days having no idea how the term originated or what it is supposed to mean.
The "wokeness" comment is referring to dropping Redskins altogether.

Reactions: SCcocks4ever

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
Well the new ownership group needs to kiss and make up with The Hogs first. Of course, that will probably be easy since The Hogs pretty much hated DS and his corrupting their name with that stupid *** mascot he came up with.

And hopefully the new owners will substantially upgrade the Sean Taylor monument from the embarrassing piece of crap DS came up with.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
There is a change.org petition for changing the name back to Redskins.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022

Always thought it should have been the Washington Generals.....if they can get permission from the old rival of the Harlem Globetrotters.