Here's Some Fun Speculation About our Football Job

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Warning: strong click-bait potential.

I'm not sure about that. But I do think that if Beamer fails, they won't roll the dice again on someone who has previously failed as a Head Coach or who has never been a Head Coach. They will go after a proven, successful FBS Head Coach. Those are the only kind of hires who have been successful in football here (Dietzel, Carlen, Morrison, Holtz, and Spurrier).

Reactions: CAROLINA COCKTAIL

The coup nazi

Joined Sep 19, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
This guy has predicted so many coaching firings and their replacements, clickbait becomes a poor word to use regarding his predictions. He doesn't even qualify as a blind squirrel.

• Haha
Reactions: 92Pony and mickray

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Weird article. Last paragraph starts "Which leads all back to Norvell who is the prime coach to get South Carolina back to contention status." except there is nothing that "leads" back to Norvell coming to USC, haha. And when were we ever in contention status?

Oh well, it's the offseason.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Clearly, it is a SLOW offseason.

If a Buffalo Bills beat reporter is writing articles speculating about Mike Norvell coming to USC, then, yeah, it's slow haha

It would be impressive for us if he rebuffed interest from Bama to hold out for the job here.

Reactions: mickray

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
ONLY clickbait.

Zero chance Mike Norvell ever leaves FSU for South Carolina, even if our job opens after this fall (which is extremely unlikely).

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Dietzel won a conference championship. Carlen Was the first coach to win 8 games in one season here, doing it twice. Morrison Was the first coach to produce nationally ranked teams here, think they were Top 15. Holtz produced 2 Top 15 teams. Spurrier produced 3 Top 10 teams. The SC football job is not one for on-the-job training.

Last edited:

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Is this the way that agents create jobs for their clients? Not bad.

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
Dietzel won a conference championship. Carlen Was the first coach to win 8 games in one season here, doing it twice. Morrison Was the first coach to produce nationally ranked teams here, think they were Top 15. Holtz produced 2 Top 15 teams. Spurrier produced 3 Top 10 teams. The SC football job is not one for on-the-job training.
The coaches you mention did great, but the success was brief, limited, and accompanied by a lot of mediocrity.

Reactions: atl-cock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
The coaches you mention did great, but the success was brief, limited, and accompanied by a lot of mediocrity.
We got Spurrier and Holtz in the tail end of their careers. There is no telling what they would have accomplished if we got them in their 40s. Morrison died. If he had lived, the 1990s would have looked different than it did in the Woods/Scott eras. Jim Carlen was fired shortly after his 2nd 8-win season for non-football reasons. If they had left him alone, what he might have accomplished in the 1980s would have been interesting to see. Regarding Dietzel, I think he wanted to go full-time into administration. He did not coach after age 50, and certainly was young enough to do so. So, yes, success was brief and there was some mediocrity, especially in the beginning when you are building a program like South Carolina that has little good football tradition. So, in all cases, the coaches either retired from college coaching for good, died or fired for non-football reasons. The point is that a good, young coach can win at South Carolina. Being young means he can sustain the program for the long run. Beamer is young. But he hasn't been a successful Head Coach prior to coming here. I'm pulling for Beamer. That being said, I believe it's fair to say that the jury is still out on Beamer.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If you take out Lou's 0 - 11 first season, his record is 60%. I know all games count but he was handed a flaming pile of dog crap from Fat Brad.

Somewhat off the topic, but have we hired a coach who inherited a good situation? Or left one?

The only coach we've had any kind of recent history who went onto be a head coach again after leaving USC was Sparky Woods who coached at VMI. Going back to the 50s, every other head coach's career as head coach ended with his tenure at USC.

Almost every coach was either fired or retired in frustration. Notably, of course, Morrison died. Dietzel retired after 20 years as a head coach, which he said was his goal, but he had a losing record anyway. Going back to Enright's 2nd tenure, we've only ever had 2 coaches inherit a team with a winning record, Woods and Spurrier.

All that to say, it's a tough place to coach.

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
This history review is depressing me.
Also:
Bell 4-7
Sparky 25-27-3
Fat Brad 23-32-1
Elliott 1-5 (I guess I had forgotten about him)
Chump 28-30
Bobo 0-3

CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Joined Feb 15, 2018
Jan 17, 2022
This guy has predicted so many coaching firings and their replacements, clickbait becomes a poor word to use regarding his predictions. He doesn't even qualify as a blind squirrel.

Yeah but, has there been anything else, about our football program, that has given you any hope for success in the near future?
At least it made me say ..."I wish!"

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
If you take out Lou's 0 - 11 first season, his record is 60%. I know all games count but he was handed a flaming pile of dog crap from Fat Brad.
That's what jumped out to me as well. Brad Scott destroyed Holtz's winning percentage. In comparison, Beamer was handed a pretty good team.

Reactions: Cluster Cock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
This history review is depressing me.
Also:
Bell 4-7
Sparky 25-27-3
Fat Brad 23-32-1
Elliott 1-5 (I guess I had forgotten about him)
Chump 28-30
Bobo 0-3
If I interpret your handle correctly, you have witnessed that history, as have I. 😢

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I'm not sure about that. But I do think that if Beamer fails, they won't roll the dice again on someone who has previously failed as a Head Coach or who has never been a Head Coach. They will go after a proven, successful FBS Head Coach. Those are the only kind of hires who have been successful in football here (Dietzel, Carlen, Morrison, Holtz, and Spurrier).
Please, no Dietzel.

Latest posts