Holbrook vs Kingston

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
In 5 seasons, Holbrook put up a .654 overall win percentage, .547 in the SEC. Through 6 full seasons and the covid year, Kingston was .586 overall, .464 in the SEC.

Under Holbrook, we won the east once and finished second twice. Under Kingston, we've never finished higher than 3rd and have finished 5th 3x.

Both took us the NCAAT 3x, making two supers. I assume Kingston will make it 4 NCAAT this year.

If you're Tanner, what justification would you give for retaining Kingston?

Reactions: Backyard Archer

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
In 5 seasons, Holbrook put up a .654 overall win percentage, .547 in the SEC. Through 6 full seasons and the covid year, Kingston was .586 overall, .464 in the SEC.

Under Holbrook, we won the east once and finished second twice. Under Kingston, we've never finished higher than 3rd and have finished 5th 3x.

Both took us the NCAAT 3x, making two supers. I assume Kingston will make it 4 NCAAT this year.

Holbrook wasn't fired because of on field performance (also technically he resigned).

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022

The justification is easy...he's made the tournament 4 times and advanced to (at least) 2 Super Regionals.

The flip side though is Kingston's overall resume just shouldn't be good enough for South Carolina baseball. He's never had back-to-back winning conference records. He's not built a program where you're confident the team is going to compete for championships.

Kingston doesn't seem like a bad guy, nor are his results here abysmal. Ultimately, he just hasn't been good enough (in my opinion).

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
lol…uh huh
Do you not remember the Buscher brouhaha that caused Buscher to quit mid-season? He pretty much had lost the clubhouse after that.

Also, Holbrook was having negotiations with the CoC AD about the not yet open HC job. And they did so without notifying USC's AD. The latter was the subject of a lawsuit by the former CoC baseball coach and is a matter of public record. Tanner allowed him to resign rather than firing him for cause.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
The justification is easy...he's made the tournament 4 times and advanced to (at least) 2 Super Regionals.

The flip side though is Kingston's overall resume just shouldn't be good enough for South Carolina baseball. He's never had back-to-back winning conference records. He's not built a program where you're confident the team is going to compete for championships.

Kingston doesn't seem like a bad guy, nor are his results here abysmal. Ultimately, he just hasn't been good enough (in my opinion).
I almost choked on what I was drinking when I heard him talk about how consistent they have been in an interview this morning.

Reactions: Sweetwatergolf

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
If that’s not an indictment on the state of the program, I don’t know what is. It’s a good thing baseball is irrelevant.
SR is equivalent to making the Sweet Sixteen in basketball or the expanded college football playoff. Not an indictment at all.

Reactions: Sweetwatergolf