Hopefully, hopefully this agreement ends the portal

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
Schools paying players - sign a contract - school loyalty - consistent rosters.
I hope that you are right. If we are going to pay players beyond a full-ride academic scholarship, then at least there needs to be a two-way street. Under a formal contractual arrangement, the player is now fully committed to the school for three years. The school is also committed to the player for three years, which is equally important. In year 4 and 5, there could be a player option for a one-time transfer.

The school should be subject to a maximum number of players on the roster (85 total, 25 per year), as well as a salary cap and salary floor. Academic enforcement will likely go out the window, to be replaced with attempting to enforce the salary limitations.

You can then at least sort of get the sport away from its current free agency model that the portal has created and have rules that theoretically put programs on a level playing field. On the downside, there will still be cheating by programs that circumvent the salary cap, and the student-athlete model will be formally demolished. But the sport could survive more or less intact if the portal goes away.

Reactions: Sharkies

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I hope that you are right. If we are going to pay players beyond a full-ride academic scholarship, then at least there needs to be a two-way street. Under a formal contractual arrangement, the player is now fully committed to the school for three years. The school is also committed to the player for three years, which is equally important. In year 4 and 5, there could be a player option for a one-time transfer.

The school should be subject to a maximum number of players on the roster (85 total, 25 per year), as well as a salary cap and salary floor. Academic enforcement will likely go out the window, to be replaced with attempting to enforce the salary limitations.

You can then at least sort of get the sport away from its current free agency model that the portal has created and have rules that theoretically put programs on a level playing field. On the downside, there will still be cheating by programs that circumvent the salary cap, and the student-athlete model will be formally demolished. But the sport could survive more or less intact if the portal goes away.
Yeah, 100% on the student-athlete model being kaput. You had to wonder what the final nail was going to end up being and, yeah, it’s precisely what we all expected.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Schools paying players - sign a contract - school loyalty - consistent rosters.

Even with a contract, players can't be prevented from changing schools, unless:

1. it's part of a collective bargaining agreement with a union; or

2. the contract contains liquidated damages clauses that make it prohibitively expensive to move, similar to coaches' contracts (and if another school wants a player enough, money talks).

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
It looks like that major college sports will now be truly professional (i.e. NFL lite for football) with the colleges being “sponsors.” Nittany Lion football brought to you by Penn State.

Will the athletes have to remain academically eligible? I suppose that could be part of their contract with the college/university.

PsuGoatLavar

May 24, 2024
Factor schools that can realistically ante to play - conferences get major realignment - maybe even new structure - looking at the real minor league.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Factor schools that can realistically ante to play - conferences get major realignment - maybe even new structure - looking at the real minor league.
It is minor league.

I will have as much interest in this as I have with the Harrisburg Senators. Not much.

Student athletes? Sure they are. “We don’t do school here.” He was right, or soon will be.

I guess I’m in the minority on this.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Even with a contract, players can't be prevented from changing schools, unless:

1. it's part of a collective bargaining agreement with a union; or

2. the contract contains liquidated damages clauses that make it prohibitively expensive to move, similar to coaches' contracts (and if another school wants a player enough, money talks).

Coming soon to a social media near you:

”We’re stuck with [INSERT QB’s NAME HERE] for four more years due to his excessive buyout. Damn it!”

o_O

😞

Reactions: Tom_PSU

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Does anyone plan to follow real college football? What we have called D3 college football.

Carnegie Mellon. Albright come to mind.

I would like to keep my allegiance to a PA school.

Any suggestions?

• Love
Reactions: slwlion01

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Coming soon to a social media near you:

”We’re stuck with [INSERT QB’s NAME HERE] for four more years due to his excessive buyout. Damn it!”

o_O

😞
Yes you are. There is no doubt. Collective bargaining agreements, player unions, contracts, agents. Everything that makes modern professional sports so lovely… and costly.

I assume PSU is ready to man up with more staff for legal, accounting, and all the other functions needed for operating such an enterprise? Add stadium costs, player legal settlement costs, and the likely costs for legal expenses coming to fight anti-trust lawsuits from the schools left off of the gravy train.

Those tens of millions expected from all the changes are getting eaten up pretty quickly. Who would have imagined that?

I probably have it all wrong. The networks will gladly donate $ to make the surviving programs whole. Why wouldn’t they? Right? If they don’t the fans will for sure. Won’t you?

Last edited:

PsuGoatLavar

May 24, 2024
Football separates from school - all revenue stays with program - pays license fee to school - more than enough to manage all the expensive costs that plague the pros.

PsuGoatLavar

May 24, 2024
Going to take a couple years to settle in, but I’m inclined to think it’ll be fun to watch once again.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Football separates from school - all revenue stays with program - pays license fee to school - more than enough to manage all the expensive costs that plague the pros.
Really? More than enough $?

The schools took this path not to cover costs , but to increase income over expenses.

Good Ole State is seeing their expenses explode. The stadium, legal settlements with the players (and just wait for the anti-trust lawsuits from the schools left out), the wave of player contracts to come, the coming need for an administrative reorganization and staffing to run the program.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see how the whole thing gets paid for without more regular season games, fewer teams involved in order to spread the revenue out effectively, and more games on pay per view outlets.

There is a reason you have a limited number of NFL teams, baseball/basketball/hockey teams. You have to limit the number of teams to make the financial side work.

At least Penn State fans can rest easily knowing their administration and board have thought this out and have a detailed plan to deal with the future. I would hate to be at a place that is caught reacting to events rather than driving them.

Last edited:

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Does this mean that players can be cut? Has this question been addressed?
Not much at all has been addressed. We now have the obvious staring us in the face. They have to build a model that generates the revenue to pay for itself.

What fan in their right mind is going to donate the $ to pick up the tab? Do Phillies or Eagles fans do that?

The past is prolog. In baseball, football and the other sports you saw a consolidation into leagues with limited numbers of teams, or with entry severely limited to preserve the financial models.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Does anyone have a good estimate on what it will cost to pay the salaries of a college football team under the new system?

I will assume that tuition and expenses will be a base, so I don’t care about that.

The teams will have to come up with signing bonuses and annual salaries for starters and top recruits at least.

How many of you will be willing to ante up to pick up some of the tab? I won’t criticize you if you do. It’s your money, spend it as you like. I have my own demons I pay for.

lions1995

Oct 29, 2021
Does anyone have a good estimate on what it will cost to pay the salaries of a college football team under the new system?

I will assume that tuition and expenses will be a base, so I don’t care about that.

The teams will have to come up with signing bonuses and annual salaries for starters and top recruits at least.

How many of you will be willing to ante up to pick up some of the tab? I won’t criticize you if you do. It’s your money, spend it as you like. I have my own demons I pay for.
I don't donate anything now, so I don't foresee any donations in the future.

Not sure how much I will watch going forward. My viewing of games has been waning anyway since it always seems that my son has some sort of sporting event whether it be baseball or soccer when PSU is playing. I might watch 2 whole games when I piece together what I do watch.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
I don't donate anything now, so I don't foresee any donations in the future.

Not sure how much I will watch going forward. My viewing of games has been waning anyway since it always seems that my son has some sort of sporting event whether it be baseball or soccer when PSU is playing. I might watch 2 whole games when I piece together what I do watch.
I smiled at your mention of soccer games. I look back and cherish those Saturday mornings watching my two kids.

Last edited:

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
I smiled at your mention of soccer games. I look back and cherish those Saturday mornings watching my two kids.
The best sporting event I ever attended was my daughter's college club lacrosse national championship game. Her team won in OT and she got the assist on the winning goal. After that game, I realized that the only better game that I could possibly ever see would be a game involving one of my grandkids.

So while I hope that Penn State and my professional sports teams win, I don't make it much of a priority to see the college and pro games live if there are other things going on in my life during gametime. If the brave new world of college football destroys the sport as we know it, I'm not too fussed either way.

Reactions: DaytonRickster

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
And the deepest pockets get the best players.
As one poster stated this week, think 70’s and 80’s Yankees, Bosox and Dodgers.
Does anyone plan to follow real college football? What we have called D3 college football.

Carnegie Mellon. Albright come to mind.

I would like to keep my allegiance to a PA school.

Any suggestions?
I have been following Grand Valley State U more the last 3 years due to my son living with several starters on the team.
D-2 is good football. Yes, there is the NIL/Collective but no where near the D-1 level.
It won’t change anything in this world, but I will follow less and less D-1 football going forward. I’ll watch because I love the game of football. However, when I’m cheering harder for the collectives to go and buy a team for $20 million a season…that has lost its competitiveness.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaytonRickster

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Does this mean that players can be cut? Has this question been addressed?

You mean, fired? Sh|t-canned?

“After today’s 78-7 loss to ohio state, Penn State head coach James Franklin fired quarterback Slappy Wickersticks. Piffty McNethertoe was named interim quarterback.”

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
I feel such shame for not sending the football program business my hard earned money. Just another stingy PSU alumnus!

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Why pay the license fees? Maybe for a year or two, but eventually the brand could just become another team nickname.

After a few years what would be the purpose of the license fee? Just the thought of this is turning many fans away, so it is not like the fan base is automatically going to come with the license.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

Why pay the license fees? Maybe for a year or two, but eventually the brand could just become another team nickname.

After a few years what would be the purpose of the license fee? Just the thought of this is turning many fans away, so it is not like the fan base is automatically going to come with the license.
Okay, who winds up owning the football team? We know who owns the stadium.

Countrylion

Oct 30, 2021
It is minor league.

I will have as much interest in this as I have with the Harrisburg Senators. Not much.

Student athletes? Sure they are. “We don’t do school here.” He was right, or soon will be.

I guess I’m in the minority on this.
Yes it is terrible we are paying the players some revenue when without the players there would be $0 revenue. Genius.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
If PSU pays its athletes*, said athletes can pay for tuition and room and board, right? They can apply for loans to cover any gaps. Why allow them to double-dip? When you get paid a salary, you pay your bills. As a bonus, these athletes can start to build their credit. 😀

(* Do we really need to continue to call them ”student-athletes”? 😞)

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Yes it is terrible we are paying the players some revenue when without the players there would be $0 revenue. Genius.
You ever pay to go to a HS event? Should those players be paid? I know there are a very few HS sports that are profitable. Who gets the money when HS events are on TV. ESPN is putting those games on for free?

I'm just curious. I really don't know how this ends up or what is right. 100+ years ago a paid coach was not legal in college sports, so this is just the next evolution.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
If PSU pays its athletes*, said athletes can pay for tuition and room and board, right? They can apply for loans to cover any gaps. Why allow them to double-dip? When you get paid a salary, you pay your bills. As a bonus, these athletes can start to build their credit. 😀

(* Do we really need to continue to call them ”student-athletes”? 😞)
It is really double dipping? Some people get paid to drive a truck and the truck is not a cost to the employee. Is that "double dipping"? There are lots of additional types compensation people get other than wages.

And no soon we will call them "employee-athletes".

Latest posts