How Can We Beat Georgia?

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
What has to happen for us to upset Georgia this Saturday, besides us scoring more points than them?

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
We will need some big special team plays for sure

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If they’re on, we can’t beat them. They’ll have to make mistakes and we’ll need to execute at a high level. They have looked vulnerable, but they’ll be at home for their first SEC contest of the season, so I don’t expect them to be sleepwalking.

Reactions: Johncock

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Win the turnover battle. With the running clock you can't afford to lose possessions. I don't think they're explosive as they have been, so TOs for them will hurt worse. Just need to be closer to average running the ball. They're not great either, averaging 128 ypg.

And of course, drop yo nuts!

accock

Jan 22, 2022
If we had players like they do we could win. That would be the only way.

Beanerball

Jul 17, 2023
Can’t let them rack up large running numbers and our offense has to score enough to keep us in it going into the 4th quarter. We need big passing numbers and just enough run game to keep them honest. Definitely be nice to win the turnover battle. Go Cocks!

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Turnovers always important.

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
I think having a healthy Juice and going with our younger guys on the OL. We have to punch them in the mouth early and see how Beck respond.

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
Athens PD needs to do their job
When I worked at USCPD, and an athlete was arrested or about to get arrested, top admin would swoop in and un-arrest them. And for us to actually arrest them knowing we be in trouble later, the players were pretty bad to the point where it was the only option. Yet the teams still sucked. This was Lou Holtz era.

Kappa Koch1

Feb 6, 2022
We need Juice to be 100% and for Juice and Leggett to both have over 100 yards receiving. Rattler needs 350+ yards passing. We need to score at least 31 points...

Reactions: HockeyCock16

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It's UGA. Beck has looked pedestrian thus far, but I'm sure in our game he'll look like the second coming of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Dan Marino, all in one.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
They have to help us out with turnovers.

Yep. The 2019 game and the 2000 game are evidence of that. Both were heavily favored UGA teams. In 2019 Fromm had 4 turnovers. In 2000, we picked of Quincy 5 times. Granted, this is a FAR better and more disciplined UGA squad than either of those teams. But whatever tiny odds we have of winning this game, it hinges on turnovers.

Reactions: Whiterockcock69

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
We have to play a clean game. I think the OL had 5 penalties against Furman, either holding or false start. We simply cannot afford to get behind the sticks against the #1 team on the road. Crowd noise will make it challenging, but we know the noise is coming, so we better prepared for it. There's no reason not to be prepared for noise.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
We're playing with house money in this one. More than 3 TD underdogs. Get crushed and nobody cares (outside of us). Win and it's a fluke (outside of us).

The real test comes NEXT week. If we lose to MS St I can see the season going off the rails and possibly missing a bowl game. That's why I think it's super important to go ahead and get Baugh, Tree, Markee, & Mario meaningful snaps this week. Similar to using a donut in the on deck circle. Those swings after the donut are much easier.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
If the defense is stiff enough to hold them to FG's or less and gets some TO's giving us some short field drives, we can win.

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
If they’re on, we can’t beat them. They’ll have to make mistakes and we’ll need to execute at a high level. They have looked vulnerable, but they’ll be at home for their first SEC contest of the season, so I don’t expect them to be sleepwalking.
...and their home field crowd will be off the charts!! It's gonna be a long, long afternoon.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
I guess what's wrong with us, is we watched the UNC game and you didn't? :)
I guess you didn’t watch the Florida and Tennessee game last year. Every week is different. I’m from the old school I don’t give a damn who you’re playing you play to win.

Reactions: Gradstudent

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
...and their home field crowd will be off the charts!! It's gonna be a long, long afternoon.

I agree. I think the days of catching them off-guard are over. And, actually, we are primarily to blame for that. Kirby and UGA took that 2019 loss VERY personally. The fans, and it seems, the players all showed up that day expecting a fun, easy day at the park but ended up totally stunned. They just weren't focused or prepared and played a sloppy game. Since that loss to us, they have gone on an absolute TEAR at 46-4, with all 4 losses being to top 10 teams, 3 of them being top 5 teams. Two of the losses were to the eventual national champion. One of the losses was avenged in the national championship game. In short, since that stunning loss to us, UGA has clamped it down.

According to Kirby's comments in the past, that game really served as a wakeup call for them. And, boy, have they taken it to heart.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
I agree. I think the days of catching them off-guard are over. And, actually, we are primarily to blame for that. Kirby and UGA took that 2019 loss VERY personally. The fans, and it seems, the players all showed up that day expecting a fun, easy day at the park but ended up totally stunned. They just weren't focused or prepared and played a sloppy game. Since that loss to us, they have gone on an absolute TEAR at 46-4, with all 4 losses being to top 10 teams, 3 of them being top 5 teams. Two of the losses were to the eventual national champion. One of the losses was avenged in the national championship game. In short, since that stunning loss to us, UGA has clamped it down.

According to Kirby's comments in the past, that game really served as a wakeup call for them. And, boy, have they taken it to heart.
2019's loss to the gamecocks is Georgia's only home defeat since 2017. Kirby is nothing if not vindictive and has a memory like an elephant. Since that 2019 loss, Georgia has outscored Carolina 133-36 with two of three games played in Columbia. The Georgia fans remember 2019 like it was yesterday and their hate for Carolina is back to Spurrier days level. Rumors in Athens say Kirby and Beamer aren't the friends they pretend to be and Kirby basically ran Beamer off and doesn't care for him much.

Beck hasn't looked like a Heisman candidate but his numbers aren't bad. He is 44 of 61 with 3 tds and 1 int (off of a ball tipped by a WR) for 577 yds and 1 rushing td and he hasn't played in the fourth quarter of either game. I think the best way to stop Georgia is to stack the box and make Beck throw the ball. Georgia's running game has been pretty weak so far and making them one dimensional would give the gamecocks a chance to get some turnovers and maybe some points off turnovers. If Georgia can run the ball effectively, they will keep the ball for long scoring drives and it will be very tough to hang with them.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
I guess you didn’t watch the Florida and Tennessee game last year. Every week is different. I’m from the old school I don’t give a damn who you’re playing you play to win.
No more Satterfield game planning after Florida, that was the difference.

Reactions: Pepsicock