How does OSU make it look so easy?

Jrl5019

Dec 13, 2021
Yes, they out recruit us but we’re bringing in top 10-15 classes with occasional top 5 mixed in. They just have guys running wide open. Is their offensive scheme/coordinator that much better than ours?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
They get top 5 classes annually. It makes a difference. Plus, their coaches are very very good. On top of that, I don’t think Wisconsin very good. Their high rated QB has never panned out and they can’t sustain a drive to keep Ohio State’s offense off the field.

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
90%recruiting and 10% coaching/facilities/players give a crap.

Started coaching in my kid’s flag football league this year. Obvious who the best players in the league are on each team. If next year the best players on each team join the same team, no one else would have a realistic chance of consistently beating them. OSU manages to recruit that team every year.

Reactions: LB99

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
90%recruiting and 10% coaching/facilities/players give a crap.

Started coaching in my kid’s flag football league this year. Obvious who the best players in the league are on each team. If next year the best players on each team join the same team, no one else would have a realistic chance of consistently beating them. OSU manages to recruit that team every year.
Except that team winds up being Alabama!

Reactions: LB99

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Yes, they out recruit us but we’re bringing in top 10-15 classes with occasional top 5 mixed in. They just have guys running wide open. Is their offensive scheme/coordinator that much better than ours?
Frankly, I think their schemes and coaching are just better. You also see them come out with that killer instinct each week with the goal to put the game out of hand early. You don’t see that with PSU. Just watch the players and you’ll see the intensity level is way higher with OSU.

Clearly they recruit well but it’s much more than just that IMO. If you compare them week by week they look much improved from the opening game with ND.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Frankly, I think their schemes and coaching are just better. You also see them come out with that killer instinct each week with the goal to put the game out of hand early. You don’t see that with PSU. Just watch the players and you’ll see the intensity level is way higher with OSU.

Clearly they recruit well but it’s much more than just that IMO. If you compare them week by week they look much improved from the opening game with ND.
You may be right, however, they are routinely in the top 5, mostly top 3, in recruiting. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that they perform well. I personally think it is both recruiting and coaching. However, it is much easier to look good as a coach when your roster is full of top recruits and future NFL stars.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Elite recruits who make a difference. They don’t lose a lot for whatever reason (Ewers not withstanding).

PSUwolf

Oct 29, 2021
I don't think anybody can stop that OSU offense. They kind of started out slow the first 4 or 5 quarters but really have it rolling now.

But I'm even more impressed with their 2022 defense. I realize that Wisconsin scored 21 but it was 45-7 in the 4th quarter when OSU emptied their defensive bench and they gave up 2 late TDs. Those guys couldn't stop anyone last year. OSU just manhandled Wisky on both lines of scrimmage

pap

Nov 1, 2021
No they just bring in players who are nfl bound more consistently than most . Like Bama and Ga and others do . It called talent , and they bring in what top 3 teams do . They are a factory .

Reactions: bbb2021 and LB99

84lion

Oct 7, 2021
Tsk, tsk. Coaching, players/recruiting...you guys are right but are missing the prime reason for OSU's success. It's the AD and admin in general. The same could be said for Alabama (which as I understand it has always had excellent support from boosters as well).

Ohio State has a winning record (going all they way back to the inception of the Big Ten) against every Big Ten team. Every one. And this list:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/ohio-state/index.html

Shows that from Jim Tressel to Urban Meyer to Ryan Day (past 20 years), OSU has maintained success (except for 2011, the Luke Fickell year) and except for that year and two other years, has finished in the top ten post-season. That kind of success is not by accident.

I don't like Ohio State at all, but I cannot help but admire their commitment to success. Penn State could learn a lot from them.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
For awhile today i was wondering how central Michigan was making it look so easy
Seriously. They basically scored 28 points against us and had the ball on the last drive. Wonder what Mich and osu and minny will do with todays game tape!

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Tsk, tsk. Coaching, players/recruiting...you guys are right but are missing the prime reason for OSU's success. It's the AD and admin in general. The same could be said for Alabama (which as I understand it has always had excellent support from boosters as well).

Ohio State has a winning record (going all they way back to the inception of the Big Ten) against every Big Ten team. Every one. And this list:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/ohio-state/index.html

Shows that from Jim Tressel to Urban Meyer to Ryan Day (past 20 years), OSU has maintained success (except for 2011, the Luke Fickell year) and except for that year and two other years, has finished in the top ten post-season. That kind of success is not by accident.

I don't like Ohio State at all, but I cannot help but admire their commitment to success. Penn State could learn a lot from them.
Their head coaches coach during the game. Plain and simple. Saban day tressel all actively participating in everything throughout the game. I do see franklin doing more of that this year. Let’s see what happens in October!

Reactions: Psu00

Michaelion

Oct 13, 2021
It’s a lot of what some previous posters mentioned. Dotson was one of the best WRs in PSU history and OSU had two WRs drafted before him in the same draft. As already pointed out, the commitment runs all of the way to the top at OSU. It’s not a coincidence that the Tressel-Meyer-Day transition has resulted in no drop off. The infrastructure is in place. They stockpile talent, develop it and are in the conversation for just about any HS talent at any position. People can claim that they may not care as much about the first part of “student athlete”…may or may not be true. But they do have a winning culture.

Reactions: Bison13

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
It’s a lot of what some previous posters mentioned. Dotson was one of the best WRs in PSU history and OSU had two WRs drafted before him in the same draft. As already pointed out, the commitment runs all of the way to the top at OSU. It’s not a coincidence that the Tressel-Meyer-Day transition has resulted in no drop off. The infrastructure is in place. They stockpile talent, develop it and are in the conversation for just about any HS talent at any position. People can claim that they may not care as much about the first part of “student athlete”…may or may not be true. But they do have a winning culture.
And Jaxon Smith-Njiba is probably better than both the WRs drafted in the first round last year. Marvin Harrison Jr is a stud also. They have another freshman also.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Seriously. They basically scored 28 points against us and had the ball on the last drive. Wonder what Mich and osu and minny will do with todays game tape!
“They basically scored 28 points”. Huh? Now we are just making s**t up?

Reactions: Bison13

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
For awhile today i was wondering how central Michigan was making it look so easy
Which is precisely why they wound up on the wrong end of a 33-14 score and were shut out in the second half while PSU substituted frequently on defense I suppose.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I also helps that Wisconsin blows this year.

I really thought NIL would help balance things a bit - but, it's sort of done the opposite. The schools with the most successful programs are also those with the most successful NIL efforts (save a few outliers like Tennessee). Elite kids are still going to OSU, Bama, Georgia, USC, and Texas. In fact, for 2023 Alabama has 4 5 Star players committed already, and lead for two more. No other school has more than two; USC has two and may land one more. OSU has one and leads for one more. PSU and Michigan have zero, noting Michigan may get one. Also, On3 does a 'Five Star Plus' ranking for the 'best of the best' and this year there are five of them; USC has two.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Both td passes were called back. So yes other coaches are watching that film!

Last edited:
Reactions: Psu00

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
But reality is they scored 14. The tape is what it is for all teams every week.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
When i thought they were in trouble with the QB position a few years ago , they got Justin Fields to transfer and play immediately. The RB's and WR's don't portal out. They have had a few coaches leave but not to the extent of Franklin's coaches. They recruit nationally and usually get who they want.
The big difference is the sanctions in 2011 , some of the guru's at the time said it would take PSU about 10 years to get right again, maybe they were right.

PSUwolf

Oct 29, 2021
Not quite sure I'm understanding what you're driving at. OSU had a shaky 1st half against ND - so what? They figured it out and rolled in the 2nd half. We were a little shaky against Central Michigan and figured it out. My point - different teams present different - unique matchups. What PSU did against CM has nothing to do with OSU.

I travel around the different B1G boards and they recently had a poll on Eleven Warriors (OSU) on which team they feel has the best chance this year of beating OSU. Yep, it was PSU by a landslide at PSU. PSU has their attention - bigtime. Mny of them still remember 2016.

bbb2021

Nov 14, 2021
They have way more talent. That is pretty much it.
I agree but more talent doesn't always mean automatic wins - obviously. I realize we'll be the underdog against them but I think we have a shot in Beaver Stadium. I like our chances far better now against Michigan - they were just hard to guage after playing those first 3 creampuffs

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

bbb2021

Nov 14, 2021
They get top 5 classes annually. It makes a difference. Plus, their coaches are very very good.
And when their coaches aren't very good, they're gone. Perfect example was at the end of last year when they wiped out their entire defensive staff - minus Larry Johnson - after putrid defenses in both 2020 and especially 2021.

I read that they've only had 2 losing seasons since the mid 1960s - one in the late 1980s (1989?) and the other in 2011 - a result of the Tressel sanctions when they went 6-7. The hari-kari knives were flying off the shelves in Ohio in both of those years

Reactions: Comet035

Tri-Power65

Sep 3, 2022
Apparently, some dingbats think the CMU "scores" that were called back because they literally tackled our D-linemen should actually count.