How to evaluate Loggains in 2024?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
We were all happy to move on from Satterfield, but the Loggains hire understandably raised a lot of question marks. He was not seemingly anyone else's radar for OC. Nevertheless, he got a lot of high praise from many former players.

HIs offense last year put up 24 ppg and 344 ypg. Satterfield's offense, which we all hated, put up 30 ppg and 377 ypg in 2022. Loggains' offense felt more organized and systematic while Satterfield's offense felt like we just throwing crap at the wall to see what would stick. I don't feel like I had quite as many "what in the heck?" moments with Loggains. HOWEVER, the proof is in the pudding. Scoring was down considerably and yards were down.

I suppose he, along with basically everyone else on the team, gets a free pass last year due to the OL issues.

One thing that was noticeably improved was Rattler's play, so I give Loggain's credit for that.

Given the poor offense from last year, what are expectations for ppg this coming year?

Big JC

May 12, 2023
I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment. OL isn't going to be much better.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
I have no expectations either. Breaking in new receivers and a new quarterback doesn't bode well, especially if the offensive line struggles.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I have no expectations either. Breaking in new receivers and a new quarterback doesn't bode well, especially if the offensive line struggles.

We better get something right. This year's schedule is BRUTAL. A 4-8 season is not realistic. We will need click somewhere on offense if we have any aspirations of bowl eligibility.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Are you ignoring Sellers great pass against Furman?
Good point. That pass against FCS backups is a really strong indicator for success in the SEC! I can't believe I forgot that pass, or his spring game performance last year!

Big JC

May 12, 2023
We better get something right. This year's schedule is BRUTAL. A 4-8 season is not realistic. We will need click somewhere on offense if we have any aspirations of bowl eligibility.
In my opinion, 6-6 and a crappy bowl invite is the nightmare scenario regardless of the bowl outcome. 6-6 appears to be improvement but it is really nothing more than regression to the mean. A sizeable number of fans would actually be happy with a .500 season and Beamer would be safe in his job and he would know it. That 6 wins would be acceptable would mean that would be the new standard for Carolina football and I would think that is a sad state of affairs.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
In my opinion, 6-6 and a crappy bowl invite is the nightmare scenario regardless of the bowl outcome. 6-6 appears to be improvement but it is really nothing more than regression to the mean. A sizeable number of fans would actually be happy with a .500 season and Beamer would be safe in his job and he would know it. That 6 wins would be acceptable would mean that would be the new standard for Carolina football and I would think that is a sad state of affairs.

Unfortunately, that's just where we are. 6-6 would be progress, as much as I hate to say it. If we got 6 wins, that means we would have likely beaten 2 fairly decent teams. 7 wins would dadgum near warrant a parade. Not saying this is how I think it SHOULD be. Just is.

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
Expectation: hair loss, not that there's much left.

On the bright side, TVs are so cheap now, throwing my shoe through one is becoming a realistic stress relieving possibility.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Look at OL commits and the ones they are currently recruiting. The primary issue from last year is being addressed....on paper we probably have the best OL we've ever had and it appears to be getting better. Just offered a massive OL out of Arizona and he was very impressed on his visit. I think it will be better next year simply because of the bodies we have to throw out there....but when these OL get a year or two experience under them.......

Just need to start working on the interior DL. Have good experienced players, but little in the younger classes....which is why losing Adams, who grew up a fan and we led a looong time for, hurt so much.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Expectation: hair loss, not that there's much left.

On the bright side, TVs are so cheap now, throwing my shoe through one is becoming a realistic stress relieving possibility.
Elvis Presley once shot the screen out of his set when Vic Damone came on a program he was watching. I understand that color TVs were more expensive relatively then than now, but that Elvis was pretty well fixed financially at the time. His reaction would have been understandable, regardless of affordability.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
We were all happy to move on from Satterfield, but the Loggains hire understandably raised a lot of question marks. He was not seemingly anyone else's radar for OC. Nevertheless, he got a lot of high praise from many former players.

HIs offense last year put up 24 ppg and 344 ypg. Satterfield's offense, which we all hated, put up 30 ppg and 377 ypg in 2022. Loggains' offense felt more organized and systematic while Satterfield's offense felt like we just throwing crap at the wall to see what would stick. I don't feel like I had quite as many "what in the heck?" moments with Loggains. HOWEVER, the proof is in the pudding. Scoring was down considerably and yards were down.

I suppose he, along with basically everyone else on the team, gets a free pass last year due to the OL issues.

One thing that was noticeably improved was Rattler's play, so I give Loggain's credit for that.

Given the poor offense from last year, what are expectations for ppg this coming year?
When you say "expectations," you should probably clarify whether you are using that word to mean "predictions," or if you mean "standards by which people are held accountable." I have certain expectations for a team in the coach's fourth season, but I do not "expect" this this team to meet those standards next year.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
... they'll hit the transfer portal.
Not as common for an OL to do so unless they are a graduate transfer from a smaller school looking to move to a larger school to improve their profile or a player who is lost way down the depth chart. Just not a high profile position.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It'll be interesting to see if Loggains isn't the solution, whether Beamer gets a 3rd crack at an OC hire.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Not as common for an OL to do so unless they are a graduate transfer from a smaller school looking to move to a larger school to improve their profile or a player who is lost way down the depth chart. Just not a high profile position.
OL usually go from the bigger school to the smaller school after they learn they can't handle the big school D linemen. They shine at a smaller school.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
OL usually go from the bigger school to the smaller school after they learn they can't handle the big school D linemen. They shine at a smaller school.
Perhaps, but one of our best last year was a graduate transfer from an Ivy League school. TOSU also had a graduate transfer from an Ivy League school start last year. It does happen….some players simply develop.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
It'll be interesting to see if Loggains isn't the solution, whether Beamer gets a 3rd crack at an OC hire.
If Loggains fails and Beamer has to hire a 3rd OC, he will be matching Muschamp who hired Roper (think that is his name), BMac and Bobo. If Beamer has to hire a 3rd OC, he also better update his resume because he obviously cannot make a good OC hire. Like Muschamp, he will be gone by his 5th season here.

And if he goes 6-6 this season, recruiting will be a dumpster fire. Look at his difficulty in recruiting this season and how we finished recruiting last year. It will be worse after another mediocre season. I hope I am right saying 7-5. I know I am on an island saying better than 6-6.

To say that this coming season is crucial on Beamer's Head Coaching future, is a big understatement. It's crucial for our program too because a new coach in 2026 will be inheriting a big mess, similar to what Lamont Paris inherited from Frank Martin.

CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Joined Feb 15, 2018
Jan 17, 2022

Wish I had said that ...

"Winning is not a sometimes thing.: It's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while . You don't do things right, ... once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit.

Unfortunately, ... so is losing."

CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Joined Feb 15, 2018
Jan 17, 2022
My takeaway from that is; we have no OL depth.

This has been my preaching, for several years now, We Have No Depth .... at any position. Yeah, we got 7 3 star TE's ...LOL! Yeah, we also have a bunch of QB's who never have/will see the field. About a week ago, having nothing to do, I researched our roster.

5-7 with 4 cupcakes. The future is not bright.