I knew... but I didn't expect

Socrates

Aug 29, 2021
The skilled talent is simply not there across the board.
Drake London is a shining light. You know what you will get each game. Each play is fight until the end from him.

The rest of the team is inconsistent.

If not for London, this is likely an 0-4 team to start the season.

PAVAROTTI

Jan 19, 2019
I'm not one who likes to eat my own words, but in this case I'm willing to give it a go.
Does anyone actually think that USC has it in them to hire the right coach considering what we've seen In the past? We might want to think they will, feeling as frustrated as we do. We want to assume that we have finally reached that catalyst moment when something will finally be done.
But how many times have we said that?
Again, thinking that USC will finally wake up and do the right thing is a pipe dream.
There I said it.
Now, I hope I can come back and say I was wrong.
And I'll be more than happy to!
Homers think Pete Carroll but everyone forgets. Nobody wanted him to be the coach back then and we lucked into him. Was at the bottom of the list because Bellotti & Riley and a host of other coaches said no thanks.

SC2015Lev

Jun 1, 2019
The skilled talent is simply not there across the board.
Drake London is a shining light. You know what you will get each game. Each play is fight until the end from him.

The rest of the team is inconsistent.

If not for London, this is likely an 0-4 team to start the season.
London should sit out the rest of the year and save himself from injury. He's proven himself enough for the NFL.

In the meantime Donte needs to be a big boy and bench some of the older guys like Steele and Slovis and play the younger guys we've brought in. Not sure why Miller Moss didn't get any snaps in that blow out last night

Reactions: TroyBill

jpsocal65

Aug 24, 2017
The trenches, the trenches, the trenches. Got our asses kicked on both sides of the ball in the trenches. Until we recruit the mean and nasty big uglies, the theme will stay the same.

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
This doesn't work Hecfor. It almost seems me bashing Helton bothers you more than Helton bothers me, or at least on equal footing. Why do you care? And don't tell me because of the board. Thats none or your concern or responsibility.

I am not relenting, whether Im mentally well or otherwise. So you have two choices, continue to engage me in this manner or ignore me. What is not going to happen is me taking my cyber foot or Clays cyber neck, metaphorically speaking

Metaphorically beating on Helton?

download (2).jpeg

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
So let me get this straight....... The interim HC who takes over after 2 games in the season, is supposed to fire both coordinators? Then hire new ones and install a new offense and defense?
So you expect a Interim HC to just quit? Do nothing and accept his fate? I’ve coached club teams for decades. That’s not how I’m wired. You show me a team struggling and I’ll show you a coach that has not addressed his issues. I believe every team can be competitive if the HC is organized and motivated to win.

Let me tell you how a coach thinks. Problem 1 What we’re doing is not working so I’m not going in with a new game plan. Why would I continue down the same path. Let’s go in a different direction and adjust as we go.

on offense:

1. Order GH to modify the offense make it more balanced with the run first. Then mix in the deep pass. Instead of pass, pass, pass. Try run, run pass. Defenses are sitting in nickel all game scheme some runs. Change personal. I don’t care if. A guy is athletic if he can’t get it done. Give me the slower guy who can move the chains. I’d want to force Harrell to show me 2 new running plays before my next game each week. And 1 new pass play. I want this offense to evolve. Stop forcing the ball to London. QB’s are not looking to spread the ball around enough. We can’t have a 1 man offense. What if he gets hurt?

2. Order TO to mix in fresh bodies on the DL. His starters are not getting to the QB, try a steady stream of fresh bodies. I’d want to see him add 1 new blitzing scheme every week and 1 new wrinkle to the defense. I want to see this defense evolve. Have him study the Cincinnati Defense they have been dominating with 3 stars. I think they run a 4-2-5 base. We would have a sit down film session together and take notes. I’d tell him I want the Cincinnati defense. ASAP.
3. Start Moss? Slovis has only struggled for a year and a half. What do you have to lose. He could save your job. Teams have done this all over the country. The Oregon State Qb was their Miller Moss he replaced the starter.

People have to be replaced all over the field that’s painfully obvious. That should have started 2 weeks ago. Make the calls. If I have to start a walk on over a guy who only gets it done 50% of time I’ll do it.

Doing the same thing and expecting the same result. Well don’t be surprised when you loose to Oregon State at home.

I would be so engaging with the OC and DC that I wouldn’t have time to do interviews. We would have very detailed meetings. I would make them explain to me where they are as a unit and how are we going to fix in lighting fast. Explain personal and I’d give them my opinion. All that wrestling belt QB horse$/!t is gone. Graham Harrell you don’t have time for that focus on the job. Be hard but be fair. You can balance that. They will come to respect you when you win. Right now I see Williams yelling at players. He should be yelling at Coordinators they put that young man in a position he was not ready for. It was their job to make him ready. If he wasn’t, it should be someone else.

You can’t fire and replace a guy midseason but you can kick some @$$. My attitude would be I’m not going to loose an opportunity because of two other individuals if I’m going down you’re going with me. If I have to fire you after the season so be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDIABootney

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

Aug 24, 2017
This humiliating loss had Gomer's fingerprints all over it. Created a culture of softness, no accountability, bad coaches, no player can lose their job, etc.
It will take some time to remove the stench of Helton. That being said, Donte was a deer in the headlights last night.