I like Franklin. He just isn't the guy.

psu

Oct 17, 2021
Too much talent on the team for the results. He just is what he is, not the guy we need despite being a Ron Zook 2.0 recruiter but with way more talent. He's just not the right guy, I don't know who is. He isn't it, ******* idiot with that fake field goal.

Karl_Racki

Oct 31, 2021
Come on dude. Open your eyes.
So Franklin si the one missing blocks on blitzes, dropping passes, missing tackles, taking wrong angles on defensive plays.

Got it.

I am not sticking up for CJF, he is what he is at this point, but we overrated our talent. We always do.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
All starts up front. O line has been terrible since 2012. Until that improves, team will continue to struggle.
We have very good recruited talent all over the field—Franklin is the chief architect of that. However, the areas of recruiting inconsistency which keep plaguing the program and keep holding us back are along the offensive line, depth in the interior line, and quarterback. The problem is that those are three of the most important areas of a college football team for success. On paper, if we go by recruiting rankings, PSU and UM have been neck-and-neck in terms of overall recruited talent over the last few years; but, which team does a more consistent job along the trenches? We see the answer.

Reactions: PSUJam

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
If his coaching ability even came close to matching his recruiting levels, he’d have at least played for a NC by now. His kids balled out for him today, and let them all down.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I'll go on record as hating Franklin. To PSU's gradual demise, he's unfortunately staying because he's effectively un-fireable.

Reactions: WestSideLion
Nov 1, 2021
Yeah, his body of work is big enough now to know that Franklin, for whatever reason, just doesn't have "it." I guess you have to give him a shot with Allar, but no more than that.

I mean his teams has stolen defeat from the jaws of victory more often than the other way around. His record against top 20 teams, etc., etc.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
So Franklin si the one missing blocks on blitzes, dropping passes, missing tackles, taking wrong angles on defensive plays.

Got it.

I am not sticking up for CJF, he is what he is at this point, but we overrated our talent. We always do.
Ah, every college football fan does with the guys on their team..... We're no different--or any worse.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Maybe there isn't as much talent as we think..
That’s a 2 edged sword as his main ‘claim to fame’ is being a ‘great recruiter’. If we’re now saying that’s not really true and there really isn’t that much talent on this team in year 8 of the Franklin era………..

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
the argument of blaming the talent is ridiculous. On one hand the fan boys point out what a great recruiter he is, then on the other they talk about how the team has no talent. How can both be true? Face it fan boys, Franklin is an average at best coach.
Franklin’s coaching didn’t have a darn thing to do with today’s loss. The only decision that could be criticized was the fake FG in the first quarter. However Stout needed to run up the field after he caught the ball instead of thinking he was the second coming of Barry Sanders (I don’t know if he would have made it, but at least he would have pinned Michigan down deep instead of turning the ball over on the 3). This loss epitomizes why PSU continues to lose close games. Stout keeps missing FGs when they truly count and Pry’s defense plays well for 59 minutes but you know what’s the bed when the game is on the line. A 40 some yard game losing TD to a TE on a simple crossing pattern thrown 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage after the offense takes the lead. What game were you watching?

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
Franklin’s coaching didn’t have a darn thing to do with today’s loss. The only decision that could be criticized was the fake FG in the first quarter. However Stout needed to run up the field after he caught the ball instead of thinking he was the second coming of Barry Sanders (I don’t know if he would have made it, but at least he would have pinned Michigan down deep instead of turning the ball over on the 3). This loss epitomizes why PSU continues to lose close games. Stout keeps missing FGs when they truly count and Pry’s defense plays well for 59 minutes but you know what’s the bed when the game is on the line. A 40 some yard game losing TD to a TE on a simple crossing pattern thrown 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage after the offense takes the lead. What game were you watching?
Not fair to question two tries to CSB on the last series?
Not fair to question why the run game continues to underwhelm?
Disagree.

Reactions: Omar81 and Psu00

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
I wish he'd just go to USC already. I'm so sick of losing these games where the talent is equal or PSU is better and the millionaires in windbreakers on the sidelines screw them. Someone above said coaching didn't lose that game today. Really?

--The fake FG. You BARELY got the fake punt to work -- Michigan saw it coming and the DB was a step slow. If you wanted to go for a TD, load it up from the 3 yard line and punch it in. Throwing it to the kicker. What a laugh.
--Not adjusting and leaving a damn TE on the line to help with those two DE's. This offensive line is total crap against any pass rush with a pulse. Keep 44, 84, or 86 in there to help out. The RBs obviously can't recognize a blitz nor who they should pick up.
--As a result, they can't go down the field and the plays they do call down the field take so long to develop that Clifford has no chance to get the ball out of there. Therefore, we have all of this side to side crap that needs a lot of help to gain any sort of chunk yardage.
--Turtling up in the redzone after the fumble. This was the time to take shots. But instead, Yurcich continues to insist on running that damn dive into the middle of the freakin line. You already have the FG in the bag (and if not, at least it's still tied), so get aggressive and go to the endzone.

All that said, I'm about done with Clifford. Maybe he's a product of this home run philosophy that Franklin beats into us year after year. But he had a number of singles and doubles that would have won the game but he's so damn inaccurate now. The pass to Lovett over the middle late 2nd quarter should have been a walk-in TD. Instead, he sails it over his head. Crossing patterns thrown behind receivers. Hitch patterns thrown low or wide to kill the momentum of the receiver. And of course, his total lack of awareness in the pocket which leads to more sacks than he should be taking. Thanks for your service here, Cliff, but I'm ready for what's next.

Oct 13, 2021

I respectfully disagree. Play calling is one thing, but the offense executes poorly at times leading to inconsistency. 14 got hammered today. That absolutely has to do with coaching. Instead of finishing the run, the RB's stop and usually get tackled. That absolutely has to do with coaching.

Reactions: LindLion

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Agree. After we scored to tie and got the strip sack our first offensive play was some kind of fake toss with a run in between the tackles with Clifford. That didn't work all game so why do it then? That was the most important possession of the game and we only came away with 3. That was the time to get aggressive and put it away. Franklin said after the game, "it's 2021 you need to score touchdowns". He should have taken that advice when playing conservative in the red zone and kicking a field goal to try to let the defense win the game.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and 84lion