I like Franklin. He just isn't the guy.

Lmdm

Nov 2, 2021
the argument of blaming the talent is ridiculous. On one hand the fan boys point out what a great recruiter he is, then on the other they talk about how the team has no talent. How can both be true? Face it fan boys, Franklin is an average at best coach.
How can both be true? Exactly

psupride1997

Oct 25, 2021
Agree. After we scored to tie and got the strip sack our first offensive play was some kind of fake toss with a run in between the tackles with Clifford. That didn't work all game so why do it then? That was the most important possession of the game and we only came away with 3. That was the time to get aggressive and put it away. Franklin said after the game, "it's 2021 you need to score touchdowns". He should have taken that advice when playing conservative in the red zone and kicking a field goal to try to let the defense win the game.
Agree, that was by far the most important possession of the game and the season, and PSU totally turtled up.

Nov 1, 2021
Franklin’s coaching didn’t have a darn thing to do with today’s loss. The only decision that could be criticized was the fake FG in the first quarter. However Stout needed to run up the field after he caught the ball instead of thinking he was the second coming of Barry Sanders (I don’t know if he would have made it, but at least he would have pinned Michigan down deep instead of turning the ball over on the 3). This loss epitomizes why PSU continues to lose close games. Stout keeps missing FGs when they truly count and Pry’s defense plays well for 59 minutes but you know what’s the bed when the game is on the line. A 40 some yard game losing TD to a TE on a simple crossing pattern thrown 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage after the offense takes the lead. What game were you watching?
so it’s the kicker’s fault for not barreling over a guy on the goal line and for missing a kick in a game where he was 3/4 including a 51-yarder, but not the $7m coach who left an easy 3 points on field, oversaw head scratching play calls, insists on cycling in Lovett over a far superior running back in Lee, and has a substandard offensive line for the 8th year in a row?

I’ve supported Franklin a long time and it’s not realistic to fire him, but if you’re still reflexively defending him at this point, I don’t know what to tell you. The same issues have been plaguing this team every year. His seat needs to be hot next year.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
-Not adjusting and leaving a damn TE on the line to help with those two DE's. This offensive line is total crap against any pass rush with a pulse. Keep 44, 84, or 86 in there to help out.
At one point during the Illinois game down near their goal line, we went jumbo with 44 and 86 I believe and we manhandled them for a play or 3 then MY never used it again, not even during OT. Head scratching at best.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
so it’s the kicker’s fault for not barreling over a guy on the goal line and for missing a kick in a game where he was 3/4 including a 51-yarder, but not the $7m coach who left an easy 3 points on field, oversaw head scratching play calls, insists on cycling in Lovett over a far superior running back in Lee, and has a substandard offensive line for the 8th year in a row?

I’ve supported Franklin a long time and it’s not realistic to fire him, but if you’re still reflexively defending him at this point, I don’t know what to tell you. The same issues have been plaguing this team every year. His seat needs to be hot next year.
Huh??? A glitch with this board? That was not my post this guy is quoting and having an argument with. So weird.

PSUForever

Nov 6, 2021
At this point the program/Franklin/the players do not know how to win close games. We just find ways to lose. Not all Franklin's fault but he is the CEO so he needs to take responsibility.

Why do we on countless times come up short at winning time?

-Chance to go up 2 scores early on these clowns and just let them off the hook with a bonehead fake FG.

-3rd and 13 with a chance to get off the field and keep momentum and our 5 star LB can't make a simple tackle.

-Lousy series after recovering fumble and settle for FG.

-Give up HUGE and game losing TD on simple TE crossing route. Really, now that's hard to do.

Bottom line is we are really good at NOT making the clutch play.

And it is a theme..just this year, yes 2nd string QB but again a horrendous defensive breakdown when it mattered most.

Can't score a 2 point play if their life depended on it against Illinois.

U$C Rose Bowl, O$U '17 and '18 and this year. MSU '17 and '18, Minny '19. On and on and freaking on.

FJ

Oct 8, 2021
I respectfully disagree. Play calling is one thing, but the offense executes poorly at times leading to inconsistency. 14 got hammered today. That absolutely has to do with coaching. Instead of finishing the run, the RB's stop and usually get tackled. That absolutely has to do with coaching.
I agree on the RBs stopping. I just don't understand what's going on in the running back room.

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
I agree on the RBs stopping. I just don't understand what's going on in the running back room.
This. Every time our RB's are in a one-on-one situation, they are tackled. Every. Single. Time. On the flip side, our defensive guys rarely make a one-on-one tackle. The RB's always break away or at least gain another 3 yards before going down.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Here's where I am at. During the sanction years, I was ok with 8-4, 7-5 records. Because the kids played hard at a disadvantage and I knew things would get better. But 7-5, 8-4 at this juncture of Franklin's tenure, I'm just not sure of our future with him as our HC. Does anyone else feel this way?

Last edited:

PSUForever

Nov 6, 2021
This. Every time our RB's are in a one-on-one situation, they are tackled. Every. Single. Time. On the flip side, our defensive guys rarely make a one-on-one tackle. The RB's always break away or at least gain another 3 yards before going down.
I think the last time they made a good move against a defender was Cain in the Wisky game. Such a huge disappointment all season.

Oct 31, 2021
Franklin is a great recruiter and a great representative of the university. I like him for all that but what he is is a great salesman. He sells Penn State to recruits and the public at large. However, his coaching leaves something to be desired and has been discussed at length, clock management, inability to make adjustments during the game, etc.

So Franklin is a great salesman but he is not a great coach.

Reactions: The real m.knox

PSUForever

Nov 6, 2021
Here's where I am at. During the sanction years, I was ok with 8-4, 7-5 records. Because I the kids played hard at a disadvantage and I knew things would get better. But 7-5, 8-4 at this juncture of Franklin's tenure, I'm just not sure of our future with him as our HC. Does anyone else feel this way?
Yep. I think his ceiling is 2 losses a season. You can book either an O$U loss and/or scUM loss every season plus at least another one. And that is a "good" year. Other years we are looking at 4 or 5 losses like this year. Can you say "Program headed in wrong direction". At this point his defenders point to a B10 championship and two straight NY6 bowls. Of course we collapse in one of them. That is his ceiling, we have seen it, ain't getting better.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
All starts up front. O line has been terrible since 2012. Until that improves, team will continue to struggle.O line has not been good for a much longer time than since 2012.
O line hasn’t been much of a strength since the calendar year began starting with a 2. I’m not sure what the answer is or why it has persisted through three different head coaches but it’s pretty undeniable.
Here is my overall issue with Franklin. I think he coaches like he’s coaching at Maryland or Rutgers. Seems to not have any confidence that his team can just win the game. He makes over-coaching calls that show a lack of trust in the players to just win the game. I’m never a “fire the coach” guy, but he’s got to develop a different approach.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Ram20

JVP_Yahweh

Oct 25, 2021
He was so close in 2016. Take out the Pitt loss and he's in the CFP no doubt and has a puncher's chance against Clemson or Bama

Reactions: 91Joe95

Phlebitis

Oct 25, 2021
It is hard to understand how Franklin can posses the abilities to lead an organization as complex as Penn State football yet continue to make boneheaded game day decisions with no signs of improvement. I won’t even pretend I could run the Penn State football program, but on 4th down in my own territory with a pretty good defense I punt. That is the fundamentally sound decision in nearly every circumstance. I’ve known that since I was a 10 year old. He is clearly one of very few people with the capabilities to do this job at a high level which makes these seemingly easy to correct mistakes exasperating. It just makes so little sense.

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
I stand corrected…my bad.
Your point still works and is accurate to the situation.

Guy I teach with was a manager at OSU from 97-2001. Said by the end of the 2000 season the entire buckeye section at the Outback bowl were booing Cooper on entry. Had enough. Everyone in the program knew he was toast.
JF probably get another year extension after this debacle. Different expectations unfortunately.

Reactions: WestSideLion

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
I know but it was right there for him to win and he was way ahead of schedule in 2016. Can't figure out what happened in the last 4 years?
The QB graduated, the running back was a unicorn, and he had a plethora of talented assistants that got plucked away.

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
I know but it was right there for him to win and he was way ahead of schedule in 2016. Can't figure out what happened in the last 4 years?
It was there in ‘17 and they blew it twice in back to back weeks on basically their last chances to lose.

In ‘16 they were essentially eliminated in Sept with loss #2 to Michigan. They only got back into the discussion because the rest of cfb showed its ineptitude, but with Washington making it as they did, PSU was done after Michigan.

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
Unfortunately the way Coach Franklin’s contract is written I doubt the Administration can make a move. If his contract guarantees him 4 or 5 years salary there’s no way he’s going anywhere.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Too much talent on the team for the results. He just is what he is, not the guy we need despite being a Ron Zook 2.0 recruiter but with way more talent. He's just not the right guy, I don't know who is. He isn't it, ******* idiot with that fake field goal.
I agree, that one play probably cost us the game. James needs to be patient in tough, close games.
SO, who do you realistically have in mind to replace James? Remember, you may be dealing with a BOT that is not interest in promoting football at this time.

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
I agree, that one play probably cost us the game. James needs to be patient in tough, close games.
SO, who do you realistically have in mind to replace James? Remember, you may be dealing with a BOT that is not interest in promoting football at this time.
The BoT vowed to de emphasize football.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
the argument of blaming the talent is ridiculous. On one hand the fan boys point out what a great recruiter he is, then on the other they talk about how the team has no talent. How can both be true? Face it fan boys, Franklin is an average at best coach.
This team has lost the identity and brand of Penn State football. We are now like a soft Big12 team. Sad.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021

It’s plenty realistic. Are we the only school that can not make coaching changes? First get rid of the AD and then the Head Football Coach. Please. Enough excuses.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Here's where I am at. During the sanction years, I was ok with 8-4, 7-5 records. Because the kids played hard at a disadvantage and I knew things would get better. But 7-5, 8-4 at this juncture of Franklin's tenure, I'm just not sure of our future with him as our HC. Does anyone else feel this way?
Every week for the past 2-3 seasons. His best season was a 3-loss B1G title year in 2016. He wasted some generational talent in 2017 and things have steadily headed downhill since. He’s a fantastic persona, but his approach has run its course at Penn State.

Nov 1, 2021
It’s plenty realistic. Are we the only school that can not make coaching changes? First get rid of the AD and then the Head Football Coach. Please. Enough excuses.
He has a $28m buyout. There is a 0% chance he’s getting fired for on the field performance this year.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
I watched the shortened version of the WVU vs PSU game from 1991 the other day. Two major things jumped out at me right away. The team played with much more fire and intensity than PSU teams do now. The second was seeing the running backs hit the holes quickly with power and how much more ‘shifty’ they were compared to now. The current RBs just run into defenders and immediately go down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grass