I like Franklin. He just isn't the guy.

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
Here's where I am at. During the sanction years, I was ok with 8-4, 7-5 records. Because the kids played hard at a disadvantage and I knew things would get better. But 7-5, 8-4 at this juncture of Franklin's tenure, I'm just not sure of our future with him as our HC. Does anyone else feel this way
I watched the shortened version of the WVU vs PSU game from 1991 the other day. Two major things jumped out at me right away. The team played with much more fire and intensity than PSU teams do now. The second was seeing the running backs hit the holes quickly with power and how much more ‘shifty’ they were compared to now. The current RBs just run into defenders and immediately go down.
Because coach Franklin is recruiting for a style of offense, not necessarily the best QB, RB or TE. This in my opinion is a flawed recruiting philosophy. His mindset for running the offense only revolves around the power-spread. So, he recruits for speed and quickness instead of explosive power and size. Here everything is predicated around execution, speed and a QB that is always in the shotgun position. It’s not working.

Joe Paterno’s Pro-set offense was not always exciting or fun to watch when compared to a successful power-spread but it was profoundly more effective and successful from a W-L perspective. JMHO

Last edited:

Lionshare

Oct 31, 2021
This. Every time our RB's are in a one-on-one situation, they are tackled. Every. Single. Time. On the flip side, our defensive guys rarely make a one-on-one tackle. The RB's always break away or at least gain another 3 yards before going down.
Man, no kidding!

NitneLiun

Aug 24, 2017
UNL just re-negotiated Scott Frost's contract. I think it's time PSU does the same with Franklin.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
He has a $28m buyout. There is a 0% chance he’s getting fired for on the field performance this year.
No other coaches have buy-outs? Yet coaches are fired all the time. Where there is a will there is a way. It is time.

nepalion

Oct 31, 2021
All starts up front. O line has been terrible since 2012. Until that improves, team will continue to struggle.
and this idiot of a coach we have has continued to stock up on wr's and db's as if the position of OL is being legislated out of the game next season

nepalion

Oct 31, 2021
He definitely doesn't suck, 3 11 win seasons in 6 yrs proves that, just don't know that he puts PSU over the hump.. My question continues to be, can they do better??? I don't know for a fact they can..
no, he definitely does suck

nepalion

Oct 31, 2021
Franklin’s coaching didn’t have a darn thing to do with today’s loss. The only decision that could be criticized was the fake FG in the first quarter. However Stout needed to run up the field after he caught the ball instead of thinking he was the second coming of Barry Sanders (I don’t know if he would have made it, but at least he would have pinned Michigan down deep instead of turning the ball over on the 3). This loss epitomizes why PSU continues to lose close games. Stout keeps missing FGs when they truly count and Pry’s defense plays well for 59 minutes but you know what’s the bed when the game is on the line. A 40 some yard game losing TD to a TE on a simple crossing pattern thrown 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage after the offense takes the lead. What game were you watching?
bvillebaron, i'm sorry, i mean, james, what are you doing on this board?

Mr. Nickels 11

Nov 1, 2021
I wish he'd just go to USC already. I'm so sick of losing these games where the talent is equal or PSU is better and the millionaires in windbreakers on the sidelines screw them. Someone above said coaching didn't lose that game today. Really?

--The fake FG. You BARELY got the fake punt to work -- Michigan saw it coming and the DB was a step slow. If you wanted to go for a TD, load it up from the 3 yard line and punch it in. Throwing it to the kicker. What a laugh.
--Not adjusting and leaving a damn TE on the line to help with those two DE's. This offensive line is total crap against any pass rush with a pulse. Keep 44, 84, or 86 in there to help out. The RBs obviously can't recognize a blitz nor who they should pick up.
--As a result, they can't go down the field and the plays they do call down the field take so long to develop that Clifford has no chance to get the ball out of there. Therefore, we have all of this side to side crap that needs a lot of help to gain any sort of chunk yardage.
--Turtling up in the redzone after the fumble. This was the time to take shots. But instead, Yurcich continues to insist on running that damn dive into the middle of the freakin line. You already have the FG in the bag (and if not, at least it's still tied), so get aggressive and go to the endzone.

All that said, I'm about done with Clifford. Maybe he's a product of this home run philosophy that Franklin beats into us year after year. But he had a number of singles and doubles that would have won the game but he's so damn inaccurate now. The pass to Lovett over the middle late 2nd quarter should have been a walk-in TD. Instead, he sails it over his head. Crossing patterns thrown behind receivers. Hitch patterns thrown low or wide to kill the momentum of the receiver. And of course, his total lack of awareness in the pocket which leads to more sacks than he should be taking. Thanks for your service here, Cliff, but I'm ready for what's next.
The joke is on you if you think Lovett would’ve caught that pass

Nov 1, 2021
No other coaches have buy-outs? Yet coaches are fired all the time. Where there is a will there is a way. It is time.
Other coaches have buyouts. I doubt very many have been fired that had a buyout of that magnitude, yes. You can’t seriously be arguing that a $5m hit is the same as $28m.

But regardless, I’m not Sandy Barbour. I’m just telling you that he isn’t getting fired regardless of what you or I want.

Lionpride90

Oct 12, 2021
This. Every time our RB's are in a one-on-one situation, they are tackled. Every. Single. Time. On the flip side, our defensive guys rarely make a one-on-one tackle. The RB's always break away or at least gain another 3 yards before going down.
This is a great point. And this seems to be something that could be addressed by coaches during practice. Additionally our offensive line seems to always be on their heels and surprised by whatever the defensive line or blitz is doing. Every game every time.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
We have very good recruited talent all over the field—Franklin is the chief architect of that. However, the areas of recruiting inconsistency which keep plaguing the program and keep holding us back are along the offensive line, depth in the interior line, and quarterback. The problem is that those are three of the most important areas of a college football team for success. On paper, if we go by recruiting rankings, PSU and UM have been neck-and-neck in terms of overall recruited talent over the last few years; but, which team does a more consistent job along the trenches? We see the answer.
yet Hairball's record is no better than Franklin's and he has no B1G trophies to Franklin's one

face it, there is tOSU and then there is everyone else- and PSU has given them more trouble

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
He definitely doesn't suck, 3 11 win seasons in 6 yrs proves that, just don't know that he puts PSU over the hump.. My question continues to be, can they do better??? I don't know for a fact they can..
I think the question is whether we will return to 11 win seasons or is regression to the mean our destiny . Next year doesn’t seem to be setting up for double digit wins .
if the promising recruiting class enrolls, it will be at least two years till we can evaluate their actual contribution.
Like an average satisfaction marriage , this dance will continue on with hopes for better days . Financial worries, and new mate uncertainties will perpetuate the status quo.

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
He doesn’t get fired. Whether he should or not is another matter.
But he’s kind of backed himself into a corner on offense. Keep MY? He probably should, but it’s not like he’s been effective. Understand if he’s not back. Fire him? Next year 5th OC in 6 years.
Plus, you’ll likely not get a replacement with Yurcich’s credentials.

Reactions: McCringleberry

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Other coaches have buyouts. I doubt very many have been fired that had a buyout of that magnitude, yes. You can’t seriously be arguing that a $5m hit is the same as $28m.

But regardless, I’m not Sandy Barbour. I’m just telling you that he isn’t getting fired regardless of what you or I want.
Again. Real leaders find a way to get things done.

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
I think the question is whether we will return to 11 win seasons or is regression to the mean our destiny . Next year doesn’t seem to be setting up for double digit wins .
if the promising recruiting class enrolls, it will be at least two years till we can evaluate their actual contribution.
Like an average satisfaction marriage , this dance will continue on with hopes for better days . Financial worries, and new mate uncertainties will perpetuate the status quo.
That's fair, but the sadly reality is PSU isn't Bama, they are not winning 10+ year in year out, fans need to adjust reality a bit. Luke Fickell is doing a nice job at the G% level, we saw what he did while at OSU, not sure he is the savior some beileve. I just don't see a sure fire upgrade out there.

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Let this sinks in

While not trying to defend PSU's performance under Franklin, that prior year comparison total is so low because PSU benefitted in '99 by playing Arizona and Miami as over ranked top 10 teams a the time.

In what was likely the most disappointing era of PSU football ('97-'99) as far as unfulfilled hopes/dreams/expectations, PSU went 0-6 against teams that finished the year ranked in the top 10. If you add in '95 and '96, you would get 0-9 vs. actual teams that were top 10 worthy, and that number sounds pretty familiar.