I love Dak to death but is he talking out of both sides...

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I don’t play for money. Never have never cared for it, to be honest with you, yeah. Would give it up just to play this game. So, I allow that to the business people to say what it’s worth, what they’re supposed to give a quarterback of my play, a person of my play, a leader of my play. For me, it’s about, as I said, control what I can control and handle that part and the rest will take care of itself.
What did he say that is talking out of both sides? I only saw the one quote ^

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I agree he is, but virtually nobody says "yep, this is 100% about the money". Even if he did, it would be dumb for both him and the Cowboys.

I do agree he has a ton of leverage, but the team has some leverage with him - I'm not sure Dak is getting $55M or more in the open free market. The Falcons gave Cousins 180 over 4 years and I suspect Dak would slot somewhere marginally higher than that.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
What did he say that is talking out of both sides? I only saw the one quote ^
That one quote is talking out of both sides. His point is good but I wouldn't have even answered it with saying I don't care about $$$. Because if you don't care about $$ - you play for $20 million and let them build around you with that extra cash.

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I agree he is, but virtually nobody says "yep, this is 100% about the money". Even if he did, it would be dumb for both him and the Cowboys.

I do agree he has a ton of leverage, but the team has some leverage with him - I'm not sure Dak is getting $55M or more in the open free market. The Falcons gave Cousins 180 over 4 years and I suspect Dak would slot somewhere marginally higher than that.
I think he expects top dollar while he's still in his prime. He may go the Brady route and play for less when he's in decline.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
That one quote is talking out of both sides. His point is good but I wouldn't have even answered it with saying I don't care about $$$.
I suspect he was trying to say his concern is football, and he let's his agent/business handle the money. We all know this is BS, but if he No Comments, the headline is "Why isn't Dak Talking about his contract?!"

Reactions: Eleven Bravo

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

“Marginally” more than Cousins????

Dak is 5 years younger than Cousins, isn’t coming off an Achilles injury, is coming off a career best season, and has been better than Cousins across the board for the time they’ve both been in the league together. He’d get a lot more than Cousins.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He’s put money over winning this entire time.

not saying he’s right or wrong for that, but his entire contract situation has hamstrung the cowboys and will continue too…. Dallas should let him walk

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Why would players come play with Dak in his decline if he has no super bowls? He’s closer to Kirk Cousins than Mahomes or Brady
Agree. He’s not someone that can carry a team to a Super Bowl. He’s proven this. He’s solid but wants to be paid like he’s more than that.

he need a solid team around him to be successful… and his contract and his contract situation isn’t allowing that. Brady and others have taken less to make sure they’ve had talent around them… dak hasn’t shown willing to do this

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
“Marginally” more than Cousins????

Dak is 5 years younger than Cousins, isn’t coming off an Achilles injury, is coming off a career best season, and has been better than Cousins across the board for the time they’ve both been in the league together. He’d get a lot more than Cousins.
Honestly when I read your post, my first thought was "ok maybe marginally wasn't the right word". Looking at the stats, it is shocking just how small the differences are. "Barely marginally better" may have been more accurate.

Kirk cousins career Passer rating: 98.2
Kirk Cousins career completion %: 66.9
Kirk cousins career playoff record: 1-4

Dak career passer rating: 99.0
Dak career completion %: 67
Dak career playoff record: 2-5

The only reason to give Dak substantially more money than Kirk Cousins is if you believe at age 30, after 8 NFL seasons, that Dak will take a major step forward in performance. I don't see that happening but who knows, maybe there's an NFL team who disagrees. Again, my sense is Dak is worth more to the Cowboys than any other team. He's a really good fit there.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
That one quote is talking out of both sides. His point is good but I wouldn't have even answered it with saying I don't care about $$$. Because if you don't care about $$ - you play for $20 million and let them build around you with that extra cash.
I guess my interpretation is that he is focused on football and lets other people handle the contract stuff (which every player should do). I don't think that means his agent should be bad at his job and not get Dak the best possible deal for Dak.

Maybe he shouldn't have said he doesn't play for money as someone who has already been paid 9-figures, but two things can be true at once:
  1. He isn't motivated by money (especially now that he has plenty of money).
  2. He employs people to do their jobs, which includes getting the best possible deal for him.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
He’s put money over winning this entire time.

not saying he’s right or wrong for that, but his entire contract situation has hamstrung the cowboys and will continue too…. Dallas should let him walk
I think Dak has prioritized money because the Cowboys went cheap on him early and he's made them pay for that. Going forward will tell the tale.

But I agree with DS here....don't talk about how you don't play for money. Dude's banked nine figures and hasn't won jack squat.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Honestly when I read your post, my first thought was "ok maybe marginally wasn't the right word". Looking at the stats, it is shocking just how small the differences are. "Barely marginally better" may have been more accurate.

Kirk cousins career Passer rating: 98.2
Kirk Cousins career completion %: 66.9
Kirk cousins career playoff record: 1-4

Dak career passer rating: 99.0
Dak career completion %: 67
Dak career playoff record: 2-5

The only reason to give Dak substantially more money than Kirk Cousins is if you believe at age 30, after 8 NFL seasons, that Dak will take a major step forward in performance. I don't see that happening but who knows, maybe there's an NFL team who disagrees. Again, my sense is Dak is worth more to the Cowboys than any other team. He's a really good fit there.
They are virtually the same but people on this board don’t get it. Also until the last cousins got to Minnesota… he also did this with much less offensive talent

and I agree. There is no one else is the league that dak will get a record breaking deal with… and the cowboys know this.

2/3rds of the league if not more… are set at quarterback for the next 2-3 years

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Ask yourself this. Are the cowboys better off keeping all their talent and adding more. And having a guy like baker mayfield be their QB

or are they better off giving dak a record breaking deal, lose talent around them because of salary cap reasons… and hoping in year 10-15 he develops the ability to lead a team to success in the post season?

I know what I’d do if I’m Dallas

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Agree. He’s not someone that can carry a team to a Super Bowl. He’s proven this. He’s solid but wants to be paid like he’s more than that.

he need a solid team around him to be successful… and his contract and his contract situation isn’t allowing that. Brady and others have taken less to make sure they’ve had talent around them… dak hasn’t shown willing to do this
Every QB needs a solid team around them to win a Super Bowl. The Cowboys organization has shown no ability to build a solid roster regardless of what the QB makes.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Every QB needs a solid team around them to win a Super Bowl. The Cowboys organization has shown no ability to build a solid roster regardless of what the QB makes.
And this is comical.

they had the number 1 defense in the league one year

they had 3 members of the oline make pro bowl years after year.

they had one time had 2 of the best wideouts in the league and a top running back in the league… before they had to start letting them go due to contract issues.

Their successs in the regular season shows they’ve put together a talented roster. Daks subpar performance in the playoffs is why they have yet to be successful there

Reactions: dorndawg

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Their successs in the regular season shows they’ve put together a talented roster. Daks subpar performance in the playoffs is why they have yet to be successful there

Yeah, I forgot that Dak was the one playing middle linebacker as Aaron Jones was running wild up the gut in that playoff game. Thanks for the reminder.**

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Why would players come play with Dak in his decline if he has no super bowls? He’s closer to Kirk Cousins than Mahomes or Brady
One of the best to ever play QB (Dan Marino) played in 1 Super Bowl, when he was 23. Warren Moon, Phillip Rivers, Dan Fouts, Tony Romo, Randall Cunningham, NEVER played in one.....

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
One of the best to ever play QB (Dan Marino) played in 1 Super Bowl, when he was 23. Warren Moon, Phillip Rivers, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts, Tony Romo, Randall Cunningham, NEVER played in one.....
And none of those are even named when bringing up top tier QBs

minus Marino who basically rewrote the record books

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Yeah, I forgot that Dak was the one playing middle linebacker as Aaron Jones was running wild up the gut in that playoff game. Thanks for the reminder.**
Go look up the playoff numbers. They are hard to ignore.

the two interceptions dak threw killed any chance the cowboys had of winning of that game. Being down 14-0 early bc of a pick 6 is hard to over come. Getting a chance to get back into the game and score before half when getting the ball after half… the throw another pick 6…. Ended the game.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
NFLPA would not send him a Christmas card if he played for $20M.

Dak is involved in a huge game of chess with lots of interested parties.

Reactions: grandprairiedog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
NFLPA would not send him a Christmas card if he played for $20M.

Dak is involved in a huge game of chess with lots of interested parties.
This isn’t as true as you think. QBs have been getting paid and will continue to get paid. A QB taking a slight discount isn’t a big deal. Happens and will continue to happen.

they don’t want to see other positions taking pay cuts and such. The stars at the other positions need to max out potential to help others below them get a bigger piece of the pie. This just isn’t the case with quarterbacks

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think Dak has prioritized money because the Cowboys went cheap on him early and he's made them pay for that. Going forward will tell the tale.
I think this right here is the key. Carson Wentz and Jared Goff came in making 8 figures. Dak was making 6, which he was a late 4th round draft pick, so that tracks, but they could have extended him sooner than they did.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

bulldawgs231

Oct 2, 2023
One of the best to ever play QB (Dan Marino) played in 1 Super Bowl, when he was 23. Warren Moon, Phillip Rivers, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts, Tony Romo, Randall Cunningham, NEVER played in one.....
Yeah but those guys aren’t comparable because the salary cap situation was different. Dak doesn’t elevate the players around him like the elite guys do. If he ever wants to win, he’s going to have to have a more team friendly deal. He already has good weapons and it’s not doing much.

Reactions: HuntDawg

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Well, the NFLPA didn't have a problem with Brady restructuring his deal year after year.
Maybe.. though I’ve wondered before what other players thought about Brady taking less than market value.

Regardless, the rule in pro sports… and every business, I guess… has always been make as much as you can for as long as you can.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
And this is comical.

they had the number 1 defense in the league one year

they had 3 members of the oline make pro bowl years after year.

they had one time had 2 of the best wideouts in the league and a top running back in the league… before they had to start letting them go due to contract issues.

Are you claiming that replacing Dak with another QB would have gotten them a SB win? Because the Cowboys haven't sniffed a championship since Troy Aikman walked the sidelines, and it's all Dak's fault, I guess.

What I see is that any time they play a defense with a pulse, that 'awesome' o-line gets shredded, their all-pro wideouts disappear, and their top running back can't get anything going either.

Or if they DO score points, you can absolutely rely on their defense to get shredded en route to another disappointing loss.

Maybe it's all Dak's fault that his o-line and wideouts disappear in big games. Maybe it's his fault that their defense sucked too. I suppose it was Tony Romo's fault that they couldn't get anything going either, but now he's like their best QB ever. I don't know. Cowboys fans are pretty schizo when it comes to blaming people for the front office's failures. You know, the one constant in the last 30 years of futility.

Reactions: blacklistedbully

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Are you claiming that replacing Dak with another QB would have gotten them a SB win? Because the Cowboys haven't sniffed a championship since Troy Aikman walked the sidelines, and it's all Dak's fault, I guess.

What I see is that any time they play a defense with a pulse, that 'awesome' o-line gets shredded, their all-pro wideouts disappear, and their top running back can't get anything going either.

Or if they DO score points, you can absolutely rely on their defense to get shredded en route to another disappointing loss.

Maybe it's all Dak's fault that his o-line and wideouts disappear in big games. Maybe it's his fault that their defense sucked too. I suppose it was Tony Romo's fault that they couldn't get anything going either, but now he's like their best QB ever. I don't know. Cowboys fans are pretty schizo when it comes to blaming people for the front office's failures. You know, the one constant in the last 30 years of futility.
I think a lot of things can be true at the same time.

The Cowboys are a train wreck and will always be a train wreck as long as Jerruh and his boy are running the show. At the same time, we all get offended when Dak is criticized because he's "ours," but it's objectively fair to acknowledge that he has underperformed at times.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I agree with your statement but I disagree with “in his decline”. He has another 3-4 years of prime football. NFL qb’s that take care of themselves typically don’t see a decline until their mid 30s in modern day football.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

I’m saying dak has had nine years and has won 2 playoffs games in Dallas. He doesn’t deserve a big contract. If he hasn’t been able to win with wha the cowboys have given him over the last 9 years I wouldn’t unload a dumptruck worth of cash at his feet to think it’s going to change now.

there are others in this league that have done more with less

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
This season is his hometown discount to the Cowboys. He's gone if they don't do well or if Dallas tries to jerk him around. If winning matters, he can find a better situation next season.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I’m saying dak has had nine years and has won 2 playoffs games in Dallas. He doesn’t deserve a big contract. If he hasn’t been able to win with wha the cowboys have given him over the last 9 years I wouldn’t unload a dumptruck worth of cash at his feet to think it’s going to change now.

there are others in this league that have done more with less
IMG_7132.jpeg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Have you look at what his offense has scored in a few of those losses

Dak has performed below par in the playoffs. And his teams haven’t won

the difference bt dak and that list… everyone on that list has won a Super Bowl

had dak won a Super Bowl or he’ll even gotten to one, my opinion would change. But as of now he’s proven he can’t take a team to a superbowl so I’m not going to pay him like someone that can or has.. as someone else stated… he a lot more Kirk cousins than pat mahomes.

Reactions: aTotal360

bulldawgs231

Oct 2, 2023
I agree with your statement but I disagree with “in his decline”. He has another 3-4 years of prime football. NFL qb’s that take care of themselves typically don’t see a decline until their mid 30s in modern day football.
I’m saying when he’s in his decline, there will be no reason to take a team friendly deal because players aren’t going to sign up to play with a guy like Dak who has no winning track record. His time to get a SB is now. To do that (if he wants), he needs to take a team friendly deal.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

I was chatting with some casual fans and they both said they should drop Dak. I said, “name one QB that Jerry could reasonably get that would be even as good, if not better?” The only answer was “there’s tons of them.” Just stupid, but not out of line with the average Cowboy fan.

The guy just had an MVP season with one WR and no running game. Tons of QBs do that on the reg.*****