I need to get a new car…..

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
…..and want a hybrid. I’d like something used for a year or two. Looking at Prius. Is there something better? Like a Corolla or Impala? Need good gas mileage and can seat 5 for a day trip. I’d like to spend no more than mid 20K if possible. Is this achievable?

ETA: No EVs. Need to get back to Starkville and the Sip from time to time, ain’t 17ing around with charging.

I really hate vehicles. Go down in value but you have to have the m17ers.

And I have an old truck that I plan to keep to haul shlt. So don’t come at me with all that.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Is it 5 adults or 2 and 3 kids? You aren't getting even 4 adults in a Prius, unless they are super short.

Maverick hybrid for commuter driving averages around 38. 2.0L which I have is averaging 30.5 mpg, I drive 20 miles highway and about 5 stop lights.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
If you can find a Ford Fusion Hybrid in good shape, get it. 40 mpg and Ford Sync is the best phone/radio software out there. IMO, its the best full-size hybrid sedan out there without getting into the luxury market.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Prius is a great car, if you don’t mind driving a small sedan with few frills. If you’re looking for a sedan hybrid, I’d highly recommend the Honda Accord. I love my Mazda 6 turbo gas guzzler, but if I totaled it tomorrow, I’d buy the Accord. Camry hybrid would also be good, but not as fun to drive as the Accord.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
2015 Camry Hybrid I use to tear up the roads on business. 38mpg roomy as hell 134k miles and hasn’t missed a beat

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Honda Accord Hybrid or Toyota Camry Hybrid. Both ride much better than a Prius.

My son has a 2013 Prius and it rides like a buckboard and 5 will be very tight if it's even possible.

I just bought a 2024 Honda Accord Hybrid Sport. I was surprised at the amount of interior room and am currently averaging a combined 40+ mpg without even trying.

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
Friend just took an 18 accord hybrid to Carl hogan in Columbus...if I didn't recently get a new one I would have bought it...very solid car

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
…..and want a hybrid. I’d like something used for a year or two. Looking at Prius. Is there something better? Like a Corolla or Impala? Need good gas mileage and can seat 5 for a day trip. I’d like to spend no more than mid 20K if possible. Is this achievable?

ETA: No EVs. Need to get back to Starkville and the Sip from time to time, ain’t 17ing around with charging.

And I have an old truck that I plan to keep to haul shlt. So don’t come at me with all that.
We rented a hybrid Toyota Corolla in Vegas, drove to the Grand Canyon and other places, it was great. Try a Toyota or Lexus. Great mileage.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Prius is a great car, if you don’t mind driving a small sedan with few frills. If you’re looking for a sedan hybrid, I’d highly recommend the Honda Accord. I love my Mazda 6 turbo gas guzzler, but if I totaled it tomorrow, I’d buy the Accord. Camry hybrid would also be good, but not as fun to drive as the Accord.
That Mazda 6 turbo was really good buy. It is fully loaded, everything you could want in a luxury car with good engine that will last and take a beating. Very reasonable price. The turbo gives the car a feel of a V6. My wife and I are thinking about getting the three seat SUV.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That Mazda 6 turbo was really good buy. It is fully loaded, everything you could want in a luxury car with good engine that will last and take a beating. Very reasonable price. The turbo gives the car a feel of a V6. My wife and I are thinking about getting the three seat SUV.
Mazda is super focused on their SUVs these days. Drove the CX-5 for a couple of days a few months ago. I’m not an SUV guy, but damn that was a nice drive. And comfortable.

Reactions: msstatelp1

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Mazda is super focused on their SUVs these days. Drove the CX-5 for a couple of days a few months ago. I’m not an SUV guy, but damn that was a nice drive. And comfortable.
I have owned five Mazda over the years. I still have a Miata we bought in 1996 new. It's in the garage with only 129K miles. Mazda are probably the least known and most underrated vehicles. I would recommend them to anyone.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Obviously Toyota or Honda, no American brand vehicles. The Ole Lady has a 2021 Hybrid Highlander and loves it. Low 30s on the highway and high 30s in town.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
cause Ford, Chevy and Dodge make unreliable vehicles!
truth here. Ive had 6 toyota 4runners in my life, and just gave my last one to my 17yo....it just turned 300K and it hasn't missed a beat....my last vehicle was F150 and current F150 suck balls....both constantly in the shop. my current f150 i got with 22 miles on it....ordered it brand new and as i type this, it needs to go back in the shop for the 4th time since last summer.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
cause Ford, Chevy and Dodge make unreliable vehicles!
Actually, they have pulled ahead in quality recently. The Japanese manufacturers were very good at making the same model for 12 years without any updates, but now that they have to keep adding "tech" to their models to keep up, the Japanese manufacturers are falling behind in quality.

When I was at State I spent a lot of time studying Lean Manufacturing and the "Toyota Way." We even went on a tour of the Toyota plant in Lexington, Kentucky. I remember my prof saying the Japanese are very good at refining existing processes and technologies, but not so great at creating new technology or processes. One of Toyota's strengths was the redesign a model and then let run virtually unchanged for 10-15 years.

So it would appear that if you are buying a 2016 model, go with Toyota or Honda, but now that they are trying to keep up with the Joneses with all the advanced tech, the Japanese manufacturers are not doing so great.

Jalopnik Article

From the article:

J.D. Power says that new features in cars, or more features, overall, are responsible for the decline in quality; the idea being that the more equipment there is in a given model, the more opportunity there exists for that equipment to be defective, or for it to fail to meet the expectations of new owners.

Vehicle quality has gotten so bad, in fact, that carmakers who once led in the rankings, like Toyota, have now slid down and ceded their places to Dodge, Ram and Alfa Romeo.

1000013242.jpg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Actually, they have pulled ahead in quality recently. The Japanese manufacturers were very good at making the same model for 12 years without any updates, but now that they have to keep adding "tech" to their models to keep up, the Japanese manufacturers are falling behind in quality.

When I was at State I spent a lot of time studying Lean Manufacturing and the "Toyota Way." We even went on a tour of the Toyota plant in Lexington, Kentucky. I remember my prof saying the Japanese are very good at refining existing processes and technologies, but not so great at creating new technology or processes. One of Toyota's strengths was the redesign a model and then let run virtually unchanged for 10-15 years.

So it would appear that if you are buying a 2016 model, go with Toyota or Honda, but now that they are trying to keep up with the Joneses with all the advanced tech, the Japanese manufacturers are not doing so great.

Jalopnik Article

From the article:

J.D. Power says that new features in cars, or more features, overall, are responsible for the decline in quality; the idea being that the more equipment there is in a given model, the more opportunity there exists for that equipment to be defective, or for it to fail to meet the expectations of new owners.

Vehicle quality has gotten so bad, in fact, that carmakers who once led in the rankings, like Toyota, have now slid down and ceded their places to Dodge, Ram and Alfa Romeo

View attachment 550939
JD Power reliability rankings are generally garbage.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car...who-makes-the-most-reliable-cars-a7824554938/

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Accord hybrid

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If you can find a Ford Fusion Hybrid in good shape, get it. 40 mpg and Ford Sync is the best phone/radio software out there. IMO, its the best full-size hybrid sedan out there without getting into the luxury market.
Interesting. My Ford Sync is the only thing I dislike about my truck, but it's mostly because it is not consistent in connecting like it should. By comparison my wife's Acura never misses a beat, and it will display driving directions from Apple Maps on the HUD.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
my last vehicle was F150 and current F150 suck balls....both constantly in the shop. my current f150 i got with 22 miles on it....ordered it brand new and as i type this, it needs to go back in the shop for the 4th time since last summer.
I got rid of an F150 last October w/ 311,000 miles that I bought w/ 73,000 on it. Replaced several cylinder coils , half a rear axle and a lot of brake pads till I put "lifetime" pads on it, but that's it. Just luck of the draw I guess

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Is it 5 adults or 2 and 3 kids? You aren't getting even 4 adults in a Prius, unless they are super short.

Maverick hybrid for commuter driving averages around 38. 2.0L which I have is averaging 30.5 mpg, I drive 20 miles highway and about 5 stop lights.
You can get 4 adults in a prius. Don't be crazy.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

I would look at the new Honda Accord Hybrid. It gets like 50 mpg and is around 28k I believe for a new one.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The JD power is "Initial Quality" so it's just focused on problems off the lot. The CR is much more of a long term look for sure. Lots of little nuisance issues right out of the factory vs a GM that might have the whole transmission fall out at mile 36,001.

Quality = Does the object perform its intended function? If so, how well does it perform its intended function?

Reliability = To what level has said object maintained this level of quality over time?

So I would guess it's much more of a from day one my Toyota Apple Car Play disconnects, but it does the same thing in year 4. Where with Dodge on day 1 my brakes work great but in year 4 the master cylinder shìts the bed and I go full Thelma and Louise off a cliff.

That said, 10 years ago Toyota and Lexus were both top 5 in the same ranking. Now they are way down the list.

1000013244.png
It's very much a case of USNWR academic rankings... It's not the end all be all, but it's a sign things are slipping.

ETA. Lexus and Toyota are #1&#2 are still in the JD Power long term reliability as well.

Last edited:

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
4 adults is fine in a Prius. I own one. But I think he needs something bigger. I would go with hybrid Camry or hybrid Accord. Just beware anything hybrid carries a premium (especially SUVs) in Biden's America.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The JD power is "Initial Quality" so it's just focused on problems off the lot. The CR is much more of a long term look for sure. Lots of little nuisance issues right out of the factory vs a GM that might have the whole transmission fall out at mile 36,001.

That said, 10 years ago Toyota and Lexus were both top 5 in the same ranking. Now they are way down the list.

View attachment 550959
It's very much a case of USNWR academic rankings... It's not the end all be all, but it's a sign things are slipping.

ETA. Lexus and Toyota are #1&#2 in the JD Power long term reliability as well.
That makes more sense. I'd argue the long-term reliability is the one that really counts though. One thing I will say about the American brands is they generally tend to do a much better job with their truck lines than their car lines. I do think they've made a major mistake in jumping too quickly into the EV market and are starting to really get burned (and burn through a lot of cash). The Japanese manufacturers are doing a much better job of transitioning to hybrids first and then more gradually into the fully electric market.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Jalopnik Article

From the article:

Vehicle quality has gotten so bad, in fact, that carmakers who once led in the rankings, like Toyota, have now slid down and ceded their places to Dodge, Ram and Alfa Romeo

View attachment 550939

I don't care about technology such as blowing cold air up my bunghole, I care about jumping in it turning the key and it starting trouble free for 15 years/300k miles. I think the OP is more in my camp. According to everyone i talk to, American made trucks are even less reliable today than my 80s F150 and 90s Silverado.

Dont Believe It GIF by Better Call Saul

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’d say Rav4 Hybrid might suit you. Close to 40 mpg city and highway. Plenty of room. Probably can find one 5ish years old in mid 20’s if I had to guess.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I don't care about technology such as blowing cold air up my bunghole, I care about jumping in it turning the key and it starting trouble free for 15 years/300k miles. I think the OP is more in my camp. According to everyone i talk to, American made trucks are even less reliable today than my 80s F150 and 90s Silverado.

Dont Believe It GIF by Better Call Saul
Tell me more about this blowing in the bunghole feature...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My two cents here:

If you’re looking at this purchase as something that you’ll use for only a year or two, don’t be wedded to any particular model or style.

My CR-V has significantly better city mileage than highway mileage and you’re talking about back to Mississippi and Starkville, which means you’re talking about using it to drive chunks of miles.

I recommend expanding your search and go with a gas vehicle with great mileage.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Quality = Does the object perform its intended function? If so, how well does it perform its intended function?

Reliability = To what level has said object maintained this level of quality over time?

So I would guess it's much more of a from day one my Toyota Apple Car Play disconnects, but it does the same thing in year 4. Where with Dodge on day 1 my brakes work great but in year 4 the master cylinder shìts the bed and I go full Thelma and Louise off a cliff.

View attachment 550959

ETA. Lexus and Toyota are #1&#2 are still in the JD Power long term reliability as well.
Toyota / Lexus ranking in JDP initial quality suffers almost only due to the infotainment system. Both are way behind the curve there. But in terms of the powertrain and other core functional components, you’re still not going to ever do better than those two.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Honest question. How do you "kick the tires" on a used hybrid ? I'm not opposed to buying one at all but what are the potential problems to be aware of ? My first inclination would to be to by one with a warranty from a reputable(Ha) dealer but what if you find one from an individual ?

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
Honest question. How do you "kick the tires" on a used hybrid ? I'm not opposed to buying one at all but what are the potential problems to be aware of ? My first inclination would to be to by one with a warranty from a reputable(Ha) dealer but what if you find one from an individual ?
Same as any other car. Hopefully the Carfax will show regular oil changes and no accidents. The hybrid battery has a 8yr - 100k warranty (I think they all have this).

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Toyota / Lexus ranking in JDP initial quality suffers almost only due to the infotainment system. Both are way behind the curve there. But in terms of the powertrain and other core functional components, you’re still not going to ever do better than those two.
We'll see. I hope they do keep it going and finally make a 3/4 ton truck so I can get one.

As you and @patdog mentioned, tech/rapid change is their weak spot. Now that they are venturing into touchscreens, turbo charged V6 vs V8, and eventually electric... I have a feeling the reliability is going to suffer, especially the first few years of a model.

The Toyota Tundra was so great because that 2nd generation was left virtually the same from 08'-21' when the current 3rd generation came out. Meanwhile, the Silverado created its 2nd generation in 07', 3rd in 14', and 4th in 19'. It was more advanced technology wise, but they never get good at actually fixing the current generation's flaws before they move on to something new to pump sales back up. If Toyota sticks to the old model of letting the current generation run for 10 or more years they'll be great I'm sure, but if they jump in the rat race with new generations every 5-6 years like the domestic makers, I think it will hurt reliability big time.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Same as any other car. Hopefully the Carfax will show regular oil changes and no accidents. The hybrid battery has a 8yr - 100k warranty (I think they all have this).
Thanks , I also found this. Might start looking myself.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We drive Mazdas, It would take a lot to get me to change brands.