I switched from the Insiders Forum to this....what a disappointment

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
Why does that matter? I’m curious to understand where you’re coming from.
Priorities. If you are already paying $500 in annual subscriptions, maybe you don't want to add another $100 subscription you don't need. In response to, "why can't you afford a $99/year subscription?"

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
Priorities. If you are already paying $500 in annual subscriptions, maybe you don't want to add another $100 subscription you don't need. In response to, "why can't you afford a $99/year subscription?"
Well if you really want to know, I pay for several. I didn’t ask why can’t someone pay for a $100 subscription, I just stated if you think in terms of a daily payment, it’s very affordable.
Don’t say it’s too expensive, say I have chosen to prioritize other things, because it’s not expensive in terms of what it is in comparison with other similar media outlets.

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
I believe it also depends on how much someone values the timing of information being reported. When I decided not to renew, it was because I realized all of the big news I care about is public knowledge very soon after official moves have happened.

Speculating on coaching hires, commitments, and other things is enjoyable, but I would much rather just know the end result. That information becomes known by the general public as soon as it is here. Plus, it seems like any really big stuff that the staff does know in advance can't be shared for fear of betraying sources. That doesn't do the subscribers much good.

If you're one who likes to be able to say you knew something was possible before it happened because of a report, then it may be worth it to you. The bottom line is each person gas to figure if he or she is getting what they feel is a reasonable return on their investment.
You are spot on with this analysis. These are the reasons I did not renew the subscription. There are more in-depth discussions over there but also too much petty bickering at times. Just not a "reasonable return on my investment."

Reactions: Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
Why does that matter? I’m curious to understand where you’re coming from.
Not @bayrooster but I imagine other unrelated annual subscriptions could include The Athletic, the WSJ, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube TV (I realize most, if not all, of my examples are not technically "annual subscriptions" but ARE drains on a household budget.).

My reason for not subscribing to the premium site is I am content with learning info within the free board's timeframe.

Reactions: SSIGamecock

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
Not @bayrooster but I imagine other unrelated annual subscriptions could include The Athletic, the WSJ, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube TV (I realize most, if not all, of my examples are not technically "annual subscriptions" but ARE drains on a household budget.).

My reason for not subscribing to the premium site is I am content with learning info within the free board's timeframe.
fair enough. I never even said anything or shamed people for not purchasing, I just said it's very affordable. I think saying it's too expensive insinuates that they are charging too much. I think the price is right for what it is, it's just a matter if someone wants to pay for it.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Well if you really want to know, I pay for several. I didn’t ask why can’t someone pay for a $100 subscription, I just stated if you think in terms of a daily payment, it’s very affordable.
Don’t say it’s too expensive, say I have chosen to prioritize other things, because it’s not expensive in terms of what it is in comparison with other similar media outlets.
My card just got charged this morning for the $99, so I did decide to bite the bullet and keep the service after a year at the dollar rate.

However, I do think the cost of Gamecock Central compared to other sports media outlets is on the steep side. I subscribe to The Athletic for $60 a year. The Athletic has far more than Gamecock Central could ever hope to have, with national sports news, analysis, and reporting. Many top of the line sports writers cover every sport, from NASCAR to college football to the Premier League. However, GCC covers all things Carolina, which receives very little coverage from The Athletic, so there's not much overlap between the two services.

But if you weigh the value of what you receive from The Athletic against what you receive from GCC, then it's pretty clear which is the better deal.

BetaLiberalCock1

Oct 22, 2022
My card just got charged this morning for the $99, so I did decide to bite the bullet and keep the service after a year at the dollar rate.

However, I do think the cost of Gamecock Central compared to other sports media outlets is on the steep side. I subscribe to The Athletic for $60 a year. The Athletic has far more than Gamecock Central could ever hope to have, with national sports news, analysis, and reporting. Many top of the line sports writers cover every sport, from NASCAR to college football to the Premier League. However, GCC covers all things Carolina, which receives very little coverage from The Athletic, so there's not much overlap between the two services.

But if you weigh the value of what you receive from The Athletic against what you receive from GCC, then it's pretty clear which is the better deal.
Apples / oranges dude.

National Sports News = General Dr.
GCC = Specialized Neurologist - so of course you're going to pay more.

Reactions: SSIGamecock

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Apples / oranges dude.

National Sports News = General Dr.
GCC = Specialized Neurologist - so of course you're going to pay more.
It's not really apples/oranges, and I understand the difference between national sports news and Gamecock Central. The Athletic is both national and local. It's not ESPN where everything is the national view. They have an excellent beat writer for the Braves. They have a great beat writer for Georgia and other SEC programs, so if I were a fan of the dawgs I could pay that subscription and have everything I needed to know.

Unfortunately they don't cover Carolina closely, so Gamecock Central fills that hole in my sports fandom. I'm not denigrating GCC, there's a reason I'm paying for it. I was responding to the poster who said it wasn't expensive when compared to similar media outlets.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I believe it also depends on how much someone values the timing of information being reported. When I decided not to renew, it was because I realized all of the big news I care about is public knowledge very soon after official moves have happened.

Speculating on coaching hires, commitments, and other things is enjoyable, but I would much rather just know the end result. That information becomes known by the general public as soon as it is here. Plus, it seems like any really big stuff that the staff does know in advance can't be shared for fear of betraying sources. That doesn't do the subscribers much good.

If you're one who likes to be able to say you knew something was possible before it happened because of a report, then it may be worth it to you. The bottom line is each person gas to figure if he or she is getting what they feel is a reasonable return on their investment.
Your intelligence was thereby confirmed.

Reactions: Lurker123

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
If it's simply more traffic you guys want, we could quickly hit multiple page threads just by dangling the "Satterfield sucked" carrot out there for the typical drama filled response.

If its decent topics you want though, just wait till spring ball, or August. This is a dead period for a lot of fans.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Not sure how it is here, but my previous experience with insider/premium forums is that you're paying for content (articles, etc). I never found any inside info what wasn't already, or wasn't soon-to-be, public knowledge. Information moves too fast these days.

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
This place has really gone down hill

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I just glanced over at the Rivals site, If anyone thinks this site is slow, the Rivals site makes this site look like Grand Central Station.

It's too bad. First forum I ever started using was GoGamecocks, then transitioned to CockyTalk and then the Rivals site. There's been a robust free forum somewhere online for quite sometime. Until now. For whatever reason, the transition from the Rivals site to here absolutely gutted and killed the free forum. Maybe that was the goal? Which is fine, if it was. As I noted above, it's the owner's prerogative how they want to run the site and what they want to charge and if they want to offer a free forum or not. Looking around, none of the free forums have anymore traffic than we do here.

Last edited:

Bushmaster

Jan 31, 2022
My conscience won't let me pay for "inside" information.
I used to think the same, but now I look at it like I used to buy the newspaper strictly for the sports section, and now I don’t. So that money basically gets re-routed for Gamecocks info

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
My conscience won't let me pay for "inside" information.

Main reason I don't is that information travels so quickly these days. Inside info become public knowledge within hours in most cases.

From my brief foray into the Insiders Forum on the Rivals site, you're mostly paying for content...articles and such...which it's certainly appropriate for the site owners to charge for access to that. As far as info in the forum itself, though, I never came across any super top secret info or anything.

I don't begrudge the site owners for charging for anything...I'm just a freeloader here for the free forum. I just wish there was more traffic like in the old days on CockyTalk or earlier. Probably just a dying thing though.

Reactions: Forkcock

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Main reason I don't is that information travels so quickly these days. Inside info become public knowledge within hours in most cases.

From my brief foray into the Insiders Forum on the Rivals site, you're mostly paying for content...articles and such...which it's certainly appropriate for the site owners to charge for access to that. As far as info in the forum itself, though, I never came across any super top secret info or anything.

I don't begrudge the site owners for charging for anything...I'm just a freeloader here for the free forum. I just wish there was more traffic like in the old days on CockyTalk or earlier. Probably just a dying thing though.
You made this a "Free Insiders Forum" this morning and a happy bunch of freeloaders with the posting of Dylan Steward's commitment!
Kudos to you 👏

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I don't understand the disappointment. We've had posts about trips, underrated bands, baseball cards, auto repairs, etc.

It's been awhile since we've had meaningful sports news to talk about.

Once the season starts, we'll go back to firing coaches.

I can't wait till we get rid of Satterfield.

• Haha
Reactions: bayrooster

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Breaking news……former Oklahoma QB Spencer Rattler chooses SC out of the transfer portal

Surfcock

Jul 24, 2022
Not sure what you could be missing. Reading all the background on an 18yr kid waiting to make up their minds and a ton of names who never sign

I’ve found listening to the free YouTube updates are just as good. The guys filter out the noise and give out only what really matters. Uva’s Tuesday does the same.

Last year once the season started they did a daily show on the season goings on. I really haven’t missed anything. About the only thing would have liked to have read were the latest Lawing stories

Latest posts