If Kingston is fired, who is next?

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
I think it is all pointless now. I think the win yesterday cements us into the tournament and that will make it where Ray will keep Kingston. The only thing that may prevent Kingston from being retained is if any boosters are sick of it and put heat on Ray. I think Kingston coming back is a very difficult decision. Ray may want to keep him but there is almost a guarantee that next year will be greeted with large amounts of apathy until we see the team truly prove it is going to be good and be consistent. That is issue here, Kingston is so all over the place in his teams performance that none of us know what it will look like next year. If he is on genuine hot seat then we will be really good because those were his best seasons, when he was about to be fired. This year he felt safe and the team vastly underperformed. Next year will be hot seat and he will get most out of team. He coaches good enough to keep his job but poor enough to make the program irrelevant.

Reactions: 92Pony and will110

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think it is all pointless now. I think the win yesterday cements us into the tournament and that will make it where Ray will keep Kingston. The only thing that may prevent Kingston from being retained is if any boosters are sick of it and put heat on Ray. I think Kingston coming back is a very difficult decision. Ray may want to keep him but there is almost a guarantee that next year will be greeted with large amounts of apathy until we see the team truly prove it is going to be good and be consistent. That is issue here, Kingston is so all over the place in his teams performance that none of us know what it will look like next year. If he is on genuine hot seat then we will be really good because those were his best seasons, when he was about to be fired. This year he felt safe and the team vastly underperformed. Next year will be hot seat and he will get most out of team. He coaches good enough to keep his job but poor enough to make the program irrelevant.

It would be downright hilarious if we brought Kingston back.

Reactions: will110

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
It would be downright hilarious if we brought Kingston back.
This is the "problem" with going on a postseason run. Getting hot in May/June doesn't mean the program is in a good place. Look at Ole Miss...they went on a crazy run to win the national championship as the 64th team in the tournament, but they've mostly sucked since then.

A good week or two shouldn't erase the overall body of work, which is not where Carolina baseball should be.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This is the "problem" with going on a postseason run. Getting hot in May/June doesn't mean the program is in a good place. Look at Ole Miss...they went on a crazy run to win the national championship as the 64th team in the tournament, but they've mostly sucked since then.

A good week or two shouldn't erase the overall body of work, which is not where Carolina baseball should be.

Yes. I thought he should have been let go after last season, even after making the supers. But I guess you can't fire a coach who advances to the supers.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Kingston was almost let go two years ago but the Caslen/Martin fiasco prevented it. The next year he went to the SR. IMO and from all i heard at the beginning of the year, he needs to make the SR again.

Reactions: Sweetwatergolf

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Yes. I thought he should have been let go after last season, even after making the supers. But I guess you can't fire a coach who advances to the supers.
In my mind I'd replace him no matter what happens this year, but you can't do that either. Not a great look I don't guess.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Making the SR is not an unreasonable goal in order to hold his job. Hopefully this is true.
It's akin to making the expanded college football playoff or the Sweet Sixteen in basketball. Hard to fire someone who does that, especially twice in a row.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
The Long Beach State Men's Basketball coach was fired and he got them in the NCAA tournament. I was hoping they would go far just to see the Long Beach State Athletic Dept. have to eat crow...They did'nt go far, so you know the rest of the story.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
The Long Beach State Men's Basketball coach was fired and he got them in the NCAA tournament. I was hoping they would go far just to see the Long Beach State Athletic Dept. have to eat crow...They did'nt go far, so you know the rest of the story.
Yeah, they fired him before the Big West tournament which got them the automatic bid. His record was definitely not good.,,,mostly losing seasons.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Well he is gonna mess around and save his job at this rate in the SEC tournament

lol, it is going to be hilarious if we make some noise in the postseason to save Kingston's job.

It's why we're not a serious sports entity.

Latest posts