IF Mike Bohn gets the brushoff from all the dudes most of us highly covet as big names with great HC records, how's about we roll the dice

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
and go after the best DC in the world, the highest paid DC in college football, namely Brent Venables, roll the dice and hope like hell Venables could handle big time head coaching duties and that way sort of hope like hell we can in some remote way reduplicate the Pete Carroll miracle, when PC told Mike Garret he wanted to bring in the best OC in the world, namely Norm Chow, and that way cause it to be doubly unlikely that we might fail by virtue of hiring a super duper, legendary DC, highest paid DC in all the land, which Venables is at Clemson, in the sense that enemy teams would then be forced to face a Venables coached Trojan D IN TANDEM with the hottest OC Venables himself could lure to Troy to coach along side himself.

I am guessing Venables has a massive rolodex and personally knows all the best college OC's out there, or maybe even the best OC's the NFL now can possibly offer. I get it that this might be a VERY unpopular choice on all USC message boards, but let Bohn have a shot at interviewing Venables, let Bohn ask Venables WHOM he would hire as his OC, or at least a list of his own top ten OC candidates, and see if Venables can come up with a back channel Pete Carroll like Norm Chow level choice. With Venables acting, like King Pete, as his OWN D.C. and with a potent OC as his sidekick drilling all enemy teams with a raging O, well the PC experiment paid such immense dividends SO LONG AS CHOW REMAINED HIS ACE IN THE HOLE OC, and we might just catch lightening in a bottle again because it would be TWICE AS HARD TO FAIL, since both Venables and his elite OC partner would BOTH need to fail, and I would like our chances with the bad guys needing to vanquish both Venebles and the super duper OC he himself hires. Anyway, I like this sort of template for a winning combo that would recruit like freaking hell, and get monstrous immediate, game changing help through transfer portal, many of these big time D linemen, big time Linebackers, big time Corners and Safeties, many following Venables from Clemson itself to Troy, all immediate big time impact players from the gitgo next fall in 2022.

Hell, we might just bring in instantly oodles of top Nose Tackles under Venables, elite linebackers and elite secondary dudes. THIS WOULD BE AN UNPRECEDENTED GAMBIT. Hey, just sayin' Cuz all this is just an exotic thought experiment thus far, and I open myself to getting slammed from anyone who has fun slamming everybody for bringing up out-of-the-box lucubrations. Meanwhile go YOU TUBE BRENT VENABLES and see if you like the way he conducts himself both on the practice field and in pressers. Again, just sayin'

Last edited:

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Yeah, I'd be good with Aranda, too, providing he can lure in to USC next to him the kind of top drawer OC that the somewhat more famous Venables could. The explosive result would, I am certain, be similar. I LOVE the notion of a D minded head coach after three soggy, wussy O lifers who have no notion about the immense value of hitting hard all practice, every practice, and making all games seem EASY by comparison.

If I were Aranda, I would walk into Mike Bohn's office with a long list of top OC's he can guarantee would come aboard with him to USC. THAT would be colossally impressive, methinks. But what Aranda lacks, of course, compared with Venables, is a potential daisy chain of his own D players at Clemson that would wish to IMMEDIATELY follow Venables wheresoever he might go from Clemson, not to mention the big time D athletes Venables is working to recruit to Clemson right freaking now. What a freaking coup Venables might turn out to be. I am shocked that nobody else has beaten us to this punch before.

So IF Venables -- OR Aranda -- does this, and does provide Mike Bohn with a check list of top OC's he would, for sure, bring with him, well then how hard would it be for Bohn, through back channels, to scope out the viability of such a promise? Not very hard at all I dare say. Bohn seems to me a careful dude. And yet ALSO very practical and reasonable and open to suggestions that are out of the box. Carol Folt? All she knows is what she detests -- titans such as Urban Meyer with his purported "baggage" She knows diddley squat about dudes like aranda or Venables, and probably would hate it that such D giants slipped by her venemous basilisk-like stare and turned USC into an instant power house again, which is not now, evidently, to her miserable, woke liking. And Rick Caruso? Let his wretched yacht sink, for all I care, along with all of his reported 4 billion dollars net worth of hollier-than-thou arseholishness. Another genius.

Last edited:

FightOn81.usc

Aug 29, 2017
I’m not sure you could get him as long as his son is at Clemson. I could be wrong and honestly not even 100% sure his son his still there but I think he is.

Reactions: Pudly76

Trojan Forever

Sep 7, 2017
Yeah, I'd be good with Aranda, too, providing he can lure in to USC next to him the kind of top drawer OC that the somewhat more famous Venables could. The explosive result would, I am certain, be similar. I LOVE the notion of a D minded head coach after three soggy, wussy O lifers who have no notion about the immense value of hitting hard all practice, every practice, and making all games seem EASY by comparison.

If I were Aranda, I would walk into Mike Bohn's office with a long list of top OC's he can guarantee would come aboard with him to USC. THAT would be colossally impressive, methinks. But what Aranda lacks, of course, compared with Venables, is a potential daisy chain of his own D players at Clemson that would wish to IMMEDIATELY follow Venables wheresoever he might go from Clemson, not to mention the big time D athletes Venables is working to recruit to Clemson right freaking now. What a freaking coup Venables might turn out to be. I am shocked that nobody else has beaten us to this punch before.

So IF Venables -- OR Aranda -- does this, and does provide Mike Bohn with a check list of top OC's he would, for sure, bring with him, well then how hard would it be for Bohn, through back channels, to scope out the viability of such a promise? Not very hard at all I dare say. Bohn seems to me a careful dude. And yet ALSO very practical and reasonable and open to suggestions that are out of the box. Carol Folt? All she knows is what she detests -- titans such as Urban Meyer with his purported "baggage" She knows diddley squat about dudes like aranda or Venables, and probably would hate it that such D giants slipped by her venemous basilisk-like stare and turned USC into an instant success again, which is not now, evidently, to her miserable, woke liking. And Rick Caruso? Let his wretched yacht sink, for all I care, along with all of his reported 4 billion dollars net worth of hollier-than-thou arseholishness. Another genius.
We currently have the best OC in college football;)

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
and go after the best DC in the world, the highest paid DC in college football, namely Brent Venables, roll the dice and hope like hell Venables could handle big time head coaching duties and that way sort of hope like hell we can in some remote way reduplicate the Pete Carroll miracle, when PC told Mike Garret he wanted to bring in the best OC in the world, namely Norm Chow, and that way cause it to be doubly unlikely that we might fail by virtue of hiring a super duper, legendary DC, highest paid DC in all the land, which Venables is at Clemson, in the sense that enemy teams would then be forced to face a Venables coached Trojan D IN TANDEM with the hottest OC Venables himself could lure to Troy to coach along side himself.

I am guessing Venables has a massive rolodex and personally knows all the best college OC's out there, or maybe even the best OC's the NFL now can possibly offer. I get it that this might be a VERY unpopular choice on all USC message boards, but let Bohn have a shot at interviewing Venables, let Bohn ask Venables WHOM he would hire as his OC, or at least a list of his own top ten OC candidates, and see if Venables can come up with a back channel Pete Carroll like Norm Chow level choice. With Venables acting, like King Pete, as his OWN D.C. and with a potent OC as his sidekick drilling all enemy teams with a raging O, well the PC experiment paid such immense dividends SO LONG AS CHOW REMAINED HIS ACE IN THE HOLE OC, and we might just catch lightening in a bottle again because it would be TWICE AS HARD TO FAIL, since both Venables and his elite OC partner would BOTH need to fail, and I would like our chances with the bad guys needing to vanquish both Venebles and the super duper OC he himself hires. Anyway, I like this sort of template for a winning combo that would recruit like freaking hell, and get monstrous immediate, game changing help through transfer portal, many of these big time D linemen, big time Linebackers, big time Corners and Safeties, many following Venables from Clemson itself to Troy, all immediate big time impact players from the gitgo next fall in 2022.

Hell, we might just bring in instantly oodles of top Nose Tackles under Venables, elite linebackers and elite secondary dudes. THIS WOULD BE AN UNPRECEDENTED GAMBIT. Hey, just sayin' Cuz all this is just an exotic thought experiment thus far, and I open myself to getting slammed from anyone who has fun slamming everybody for bringing up out-of-the-box lucubrations. Meanwhile go YOU TUBE BRENT VENABLES and see if you like the way he conducts himself both on the practice field and in pressers. Again, just sayin'
At a certain point you gotta wonder why Venables, whose name has been kicked around as a highly touted HC candidate for ... geez, probably almost fifteen years... hasn't pulled down a gig yet...

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
At a certain point you gotta wonder why Venables, whose name has been kicked around as a highly touted HC candidate for ... geez, probably almost fifteen years... hasn't pulled down a gig yet...
He has flatly refused to even look at offers while his kids played. It has been a long planned family experience that both he and his sons have looked forward to.

Reactions: HRPickenstuff

usc88

Aug 24, 2017
Right now it would be hard to get a big name coach.
There will be a lot of pressure on the coach to do well.
So big name coach in a good position will not come here even for big bucks.

Just make sure the coach knows football.
And has some good HC experience.
And a good motivator.

Matt Campbell is in a good position at IS.
But he just make take a big time position at USC if we
give him some guarantees and a good salary.

Even the coaches at Oregon State or Fresno state.
If they can coach well with 3 stars can you imagine what they will do
with the 4 and 5 stars at USC?

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
Why is there this assumption that the USC football job is not desirable? Because USC hasn’t been relevant for 12-13 years and no big-name coach will want the challenge? I don’t buy it. Much less pressure than taking over a Top 5 team. Would a coach rather have this challenge or follow Saban? Coaches have turned around lesser programs in a short span. The key is how Bohn has set up the infrastructure of the program and how much he will budget for assistants and recruiting. Money is key.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018

Reactions: wes4usc and Pudly76

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
Why is there this assumption that the USC football job is not desirable? Because USC hasn’t been relevant for 12-13 years and no big-name coach will want the challenge? I don’t buy it. Much less pressure than taking over a Top 5 team. Would a coach rather have this challenge or follow Saban? Coaches have turned around lesser programs in a short span. The key is how Bohn has set up the infrastructure of the program and how much he will budget for assistants and recruiting. Money is key.
Correct! It is a bRuin-generated talking-point that is complete BS. When Carroll came in 2001 we didn't have the Galen Center, The Rams, The Chargers and downtown LA was a dump. No one wanted to come to this dying city. It's different now. LA is a glamorous, shiny new town and USC is one of the best universities in the country. For every bad thing you can say about LA there are 10 good things. The worst thing you can say about LA is that you really need a lot of money to get the most out of it. So our next coach will have to have some money. However, if you can make it here you will be a national celebrity. John McKay got his own NFL team and Pete Carroll was the best thing to happen to Seattle since the umbrella. So let the SC-haters say what they want and celebrate the hardships of our current team but don't believe it for a second. I mean, seriously, if you just found out you had to relocate to Cincinnati, Ohio, would you be doing cartwheels?

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
OMG I hate this statement. It's just not an effective nor accurate method for determining a coach's success. Otherwise, we would see these types of coaches actually be successful when they move to a top-tier program - yet that is not how reality plays out.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Because we cannot even have appearance requirements for Song Girls anymore. I blame it all on that.

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
I would be okay with Dan Quinn -- he LOOKS and behaves like a beastly and tough SOB. But since I've tuned out the pros, I am really not all that knowledgeable with its standout personalities and charisma, and Quinn has more macho charisma than most others do, and he IS a rare pro coach I would sign onto. Also Aranda, and most of the other names given in this particular thread such as Kyle Winningham, who I believe would make USC relevant again in no time flat. Only I wish Bohn could close this deal sooner rather than later because of the early signing day in December.

jbreezy7

Jun 9, 2020
If we’re taking chances which is the last thing I want to do just for clarity, I’d probably go Chip Kelly while keeping Donte as a recruiter that he desperately needs and grabbing a legit D Coordinator. Trust me, this pains me to say!

At the end of the day only PC will solve all our problems. Message boards will feast on whoever we get next guaranteed!

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Something is wrong headed about King Pete, something very subtle, but I am almost dead certain he will never return to Troy.

EugeneTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Hopefully Bohn reads this board and laughs. 90% of the posters want small college nobodies or third tier power 5 guys who have won their first three games. Aim higher Bohn, please!!!!!

Reactions: Cherokee55

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Oh, Bohn will aim higher, but what about all those oodles of ballwashers that have their own pet favorites and darlings such as the abominable Goat Boy, AKA Kiffin, never mind that these pet favorites would get blown to smithereens when live bullets start flying. Don't worry about Bohn. I think he knows what he wants, and I very much doubt he's ever heard of this board or any other boards on any other sites, either.

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
Fack NO!

Aranda, yes. Venables, hard pass.

After watching the Cowboys last night, we could do worse than Dan Quinn.
Why would a career NFL guy be interested in a college job? Maybe to right the ship and see where that takes him?

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
Right now it would be hard to get a big name coach.
There will be a lot of pressure on the coach to do well.
So big name coach in a good position will not come here even for big bucks.

Just make sure the coach knows football.
And has some good HC experience.
And a good motivator.

Matt Campbell is in a good position at IS.
But he just make take a big time position at USC if we
give him some guarantees and a good salary.

Wow, you made a few silly statements that need to be addressed.

"There will be a lot of pressure on the coach to do well." Of course, if they are a coach worth going after, they have handled pressure in the past and won't be afraid of coaching at SC. Do you think pressure would bother Urban, etc.? "Just make sure the coach knows football." That's incredibly vague. There is a lot to know about football and the details are what count. I think Clay knows football, but not how to put together a winning program. "If they can coach well with 3 stars can you imagine what they will do?" I call this the Larry Smith premise. Arizona did very well with Smith as coach and he did it with 3 stars. He came to SC and in a few short years we had a losing record with 4 and 5* recruits. Winning at a lower level is not a guarantee of success at a higher one.

We need to have a high bar and for any candidate that does not meet that high bar, they better be reviewed carefully and have great reasons to offer that candidate a job.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
what about all those oodles of ballwashers that have their own pet favorites and darlings such as the abominable Goat Boy, AKA Kiffin, never mind that these pet favorites would get blown to smithereens when live bullets start flying.
What does this even mean? That only you and your buddies know football? That Kiff, who gave saban the game of the season, scoring almost at will against maybe the best defense in the country. Are those the live bullets? Or are they those opinions that you agree with that will blow them to smithereens?

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
KIFFIN booster. AKA GOAT BOY, who cost us our three-pete championship game vs Texas with that abominably foolish Lendale dive while Reggie rode the pines. One year before a real o.c. named Norm Chow handed Stoops a real shredding, but directly after shredding the Sooners why lil goat girl slithered wining to his precious godfather, Pete Carroll, and begged him to kick poor Chow down the stairs and instead appoint HIM, the little imbecile O.C. instead of ole Norm. Gee what a mighty big help lil goat girl was with the traditions of USC, and it has taken till two weeks ago -- in all, taking 12 horrid years of the P.C. nepotism/cronyism tree -- Goat Boy to Cutty Sark to Gomer the terrible to exorcize all those contemptable swine and their vicious, parasitic grip upon the neck of Dear Old Troy. AND NOW YOU WANT GOAT BOY BACK so that we can start this atrocious cycle to begin anew. Why, we might as well havve kept Gomer or even stolen Cutty Sark from Texas. Let the dead bury their dead, please.

Reactions: Cherokee55

denali15

Aug 28, 2017
OMG I hate this statement. It's just not an effective nor accurate method for determining a coach's success. Otherwise, we would see these types of coaches actually be successful when they move to a top-tier program - yet that is not how reality plays out.

Often it's the opposite. You see that a lot in Basketball: a good coach who gets extra effort out of 2 stars can't handle 5 stars. A different animal.

Reactions: Jcgarcia925

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
KIFFIN booster. AKA GOAT BOY, who cost us our three-pete championship game vs Texas with that abominably foolish Lendale dive while Reggie rode the pines. One year before a real o.c. named Norm Chow handed Stoops a real shredding, but directly after shredding the Sooners why lil goat girl slithered wining to his precious godfather, Pete Carroll, and begged him to kick poor Chow down the stairs and instead appoint HIM, the little imbecile O.C. instead of ole Norm. Gee what a mighty big help lil goat girl was with the traditions of USC, and it has taken till two weeks ago -- in all, taking 12 horrid years of the P.C. nepotism/cronyism tree -- Goat Boy to Cutty Sark to Gomer the terrible to exorcize all those contemptable swine and their vicious, parasitic grip upon the neck of Dear Old Troy. AND NOW YOU WANT GOAT BOY BACK so that we can start this atrocious cycle to begin anew. Why, we might as well havve kept Gomer or even stolen Cutty Sark from Texas. Let the dead bury their dead, please.
Revisionist history and honestly childish fodder. While you try waxing poetic on your opinions, take a moment and read or listen to those who’ve been around him recently. Know nothings like saban. But of course it would mean learning something new and that doesn’t fit. Much like Kelly Bundy, once the knoggin is full, any time a new thought comes in, you must lose a previous one.

you could only hope and wish you end your career (if you haven’t already) near as success as this kid already is.

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
You write like a ruin troll, which I suppose you probably are, nostolgic for all those classes in humongous Royce Hall where you and your fellow degenerates cluttered up the joint staring vacantly into nothingess -- inert, unlistening, wind whistling between your ears. Oh, but why do I waste my time bandying words with a moron dumber than a post?

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
You write like a ruin troll, which I suppose you probably are, nostolgic for all those classes in humongous Royce Hall where you and your fellow degenerates cluttered up the joint staring vacantly into nothingess -- inert, unlistening, wind whistling between your ears. Oh, but why do I waste my time bandying words with a moron dumber than a post?
Okay Kelly, whatever you say. You quote and mention wolf, but you don’t know me? And you call me a sow troll?

Pathetic

Reactions: Jcgarcia925

Latest posts