IHL approves two new healthcare schools for MSU-Meridian…

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's really a shame we can't get these health related programs to Starkville. Maybe one day....
I think it more just highlights the idea that Starkville was the wrong location, and for no real good reason at all. But yeah, now that it's all done, it's pretty maddening that it wasn't all in Starkville.

Reactions: CoastTrash

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I think it more just highlights the idea that Starkville was the wrong location, and for no real good reason at all. But yeah, now that it's all done, it's pretty maddening that it wasn't all in Starkville.
It's the IHL that required the Meridian campus setup. USM had the same issue with their new programs being required to be on the coast campus I believe. Meridian is a hell hole of a place. At least the Riley campus is better located than the other. It's great to have these programs for the school, but it doesn't benefit Starkville at all and we need it to.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
The healthcare programs were 95% financed by The Riley Foundation, which is why its in Meridian. Not IHL or a preference over Starkville. Riley Foundation exists to promote the well being of Meridian and Lauderdale County, and they saw the need to help support the healthcare infrastructure of Meridian with Baptist and Oschners both there, as well as East Central MS and the state as a whole.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The healthcare programs were 95% financed by The Riley Foundation, which is why its in Meridian. Not IHL or a preference over Starkville. Riley Foundation exists to promote the well being of Meridian and Lauderdale County, and they saw the need to help support the healthcare infrastructure of Meridian with Baptist and Oschners both there, as well as East Central MS and the state as a whole.
Well, it's still a hell hole and a damn shame we did it there then. Meridian is one of the three worst places in MS IMO. And it's not 3rd on that list.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Another setback for "The W", another nursing school 90 minutes from Columbus. They better get that name changed quick since that seems to be their only focus for growth lately

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Give it a rest. It's in Starkville and has been for over 100 years.
17 you, until we recognize mistakes, we can’t learn from them. I mean you still think the state can succeed without a viable capital city, simply because it doesn’t affect you.

But you’re right that Starkville is a done deal, so may as well make the best of it, which we obviously have. But I won’t sit by and watch the state keep making the relative same type mistakes, and not seeing the big picture. At this point, we just have to hope all these areas grow.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
17 you, until we recognize mistakes, we can’t learn from them. I mean you still think the state can succeed without a viable capital city, simply because it doesn’t affect you.

But you’re right that Starkville is a done deal, so may as well make the best of it, which we obviously have. But I won’t sit by and watch the state keep making the relative same type mistakes, and not seeing the big picture. At this point, we just have to hope all these areas grow.
Jackson is a lost cause till the local government changes, or the state completely takes local government away from them. I don't see either of those ever happening. Do you? It sucks but it is what it is. I lived in Jackson in the distant past. I hate to see what it has become. I was there at what has probably turned out to be the point of know (intentional spelling) return.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Jackson is a lost cause till the local government changes, or the state completely takes local government away from them. I don't see either of those ever happening. Do you? It sucks but it is what it is. I lived in Jackson in the distant past. I hate to see what it has become. I was there at what has probably turned out to be the point of know (intentional spelling) return.
Well then MS is a lost cause. We aren’t going to grow significantly without an urban growth area. Facts, deny if you want.

I hope all our out of state alumni are willing to make those NIL donations and send their kids back to MSU.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Well then MS is a lost cause. We aren’t going to grow significantly without an urban growth area. Facts, deny if you want.

I hope all our out of state alumni are willing to make those NIL donations and send their kids back to MSU.
You are wishing for something that we do not, and never have had. Mississippi is a RURAL state, and always will be. If you want to know why, look at ENERGY resources and what powered cities during the golden age of industrial/city growth in the US and the world. We had little to no water power and little to no usable coal at that time. We are still lacking there, except in the NE part of the state with TVA. If we are ever to progress beyond what we are the NE has to be the place. Both MSU and Ole Miss are basically barely in the region. That could turn out to be an advantage. That's just fact. We have to accept that, and do what we can with it. Back when I was in Jackson my take on it was, its amenities weren't that much more than Tupelo's, AT THE TIME. It was just a bigger version, and that itself hurt it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You are wishing for something that we do not, and never have had. Mississippi is a RURAL state, and always will be. If you want to know why, look at ENERGY resources and what powered cities during the golden age of industrial/city growth in the US and the world. We had little to no water power and little to no usable coal at that time. We are still lacking there, except in the NE part of the state with TVA. If we are ever to progress beyond what we are the NE has to be the place. Both MSU and Ole Miss are basically barely in the region. That could turn out to be an advantage. That's just fact. We have to accept that, and do what we can with it. Back when I was in Jackson my take on it was, its amenities weren't that much more than Tupelo's, AT THE TIME. It was just a bigger version, and that itself hurt it.
Who is we, got a mouse in your pocket?

And as far as NE MS….great. Wake me up when we have the economic engine there to compete with our peers. Makes me wonder if you’ve been outside the state’s borders in the last 25 years. Shlt we even split that up between the Golden Triangle and Tupelo.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Who is we, got a mouse in your pocket?

And as far as NE MS….great. Wake me up when we have the economic engine there to compete with our peers. Makes me wonder if you’ve been outside the state’s borders in the last 25 years. Shlt we even split that up between the Golden Triangle and Tupelo.
In the last 25 years? Let's see, Baja and Los Angles west and south. Alaska north and west. DUE North the Canadian Artic. East......St. Petersburg, Russia. I've probably spent more time overall in the UK than any political entity outside Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. You are talking about competition with our peers.....how do we stand vs West Virginia, that is the closest we have to a peer in the US. It sucks but that's the truth.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
In the last 25 years? Let's see, Baja and Los Angles west and south. Alaska north and west. DUE North the Canadian Artic. East......St. Petersburg, Russia. I've probably spent more time overall in the UK than any political entity outside Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. You are talking about competition with our peers.....how do we stand vs West Virginia, that is the closest we have to a peer in the US. It sucks but that's the truth.
As long as you don’t expect us to win in anything, fine.

At minimum, don’t bltch about our sports teams. Accept our role.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
As long as you don’t expect us to win in anything, fine.

At minimum, don’t bltch about our sports teams. Enjoy Lebby ball.
Baby steps count. In fact they are essential. We have done pretty well the last few years up here in the corner of the state that the rest of the state doesn't know exists, north of 82, east of 55. Now if we could just get more workers who can pass a drug test. THAT is killing us from what I understand.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Baby steps count. In fact they are essential. We have done pretty well the last few years up here in the corner of the state that the rest of the state doesn't know exists, north of 82, east of 55. Now if we could just get more workers who can pass a drug test. THAT is killing us from what I understand.
Yes, finding workers that can pass a drug test is a huge problem. I have been retired for 6 years now but I doubt that things have changed. When we wanted to add people to the plant we would bring in 10 to interview for every 1 that we wanted to add. First question was can you pass a drug test? Even the ones that said they could pass it mostly failed. Drugs, lack of education, lack of any basic skills, and a poor attitude creates a very weak work force. So sad, but that’s the world we live in.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Yes, finding workers that can pass a drug test is a huge problem. I have been retired for 6 years now but I doubt that things have changed. When we wanted to add people to the plant we would bring in 10 to interview for every 1 that we wanted to add. First question was can you pass a drug test? Even the ones that said they could pass it mostly failed. Drugs, lack of education, lack of any basic skills, and a poor attitude creates a very weak work force. So sad, but that’s the world we live in.
I had the exact same experience. We finally suspended pre employment drug testing for general employees. I was born and raised here but we are seriously considering leaving. Two towns in this county, one is a total loss. No industry, corruption throughout the city government, most of the businesses are closed, schools taken over by the state, and no tax base. The other town is still ok but I see similarities to where Town A was 25-30 years ago. It’s just a matter of time. It’s really sad.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
We need to quit f*cking with evolution and let natural selection do its job.

Reactions: Bobby Ricigliano

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Well, it's still a hell hole and a damn shame we did it there then. Meridian is one of the three worst places in MS IMO. And it's not 3rd on that list.

The healthcare programs were 95% financed by The Riley Foundation, which is why it’s in Meridian. Not IHL or a preference over Starkville. Riley Foundation exists to promote the well being of Meridian and Lauderdale County, and they saw the need to help support the healthcare infrastructure of Meridian with Baptist and Oschners both there, as well as East Central MS and the state as a whole.
That makes sense b/c it makes no sense for MSU to embrace Meridian as its healthcare university center. This is poor leadership on states part. A little research would have shown that pulling quality healthcare professors to Meridian is going to be a daunty task. You could easily attracted the professors and even stole some from UMMC if you placed it in Starkville.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I had the exact same experience. We finally suspended pre employment drug testing for general employees. I was born and raised here but we are seriously considering leaving. Two towns in this county, one is a total loss. No industry, corruption throughout the city government, most of the businesses are closed, schools taken over by the state, and no tax base. The other town is still ok but I see similarities to where Town A was 25-30 years ago. It’s just a matter of time. It’s really sad.
We have had the same thoughts. I was born here and lived here for my whole life. It was a great place to grow up with a safe, peaceful environment and we have watched it slowly and steadily change for the worse over the last 30 years. If I had known then what I know now, my wife and I would have moved somewhere out west when we were young and never looked back. The kids and grandkids are close here so I don’t see us leaving but I have encouraged my adult children to consider their options as life goes on and I have clearly stated that our grandchildren need to leave and make their life elsewhere when they grow up. If things continue on the current path, large portions of the Southeast will almost be uninhabitable in another 30 years. We have a great piece of hunting land that I always envisioned being passed down in the family from generation to generation. Sadly, about one more generation and that is going to need to come to an end and everyone get the heck out of here.

Reactions: Maroon13

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We have had the same thoughts. I was born here and lived here for my whole life. It was a great place to grow up with a safe, peaceful environment and we have watched it slowly and steadily change for the worse over the last 30 years. If I had known then what I know now, my wife and I would have moved somewhere out west when we were young and never looked back. The kids and grandkids are close here so I don’t see us leaving but I have encouraged my adult children to consider their options as life goes on and I have clearly stated that our grandchildren need to leave and make their life elsewhere when they grow up. If things continue on the current path, large portions of the Southeast will almost be uninhabitable in another 30 years. We have a great piece of hunting land that I always envisioned being passed down in the family from generation to generation. Sadly, about one more generation and that is going to need to come to an end and everyone get the heck out of here.
Uninhabitable? Good Lord boomer

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
What are tbe two towns? Do we need to protect their identity?