Interesting Draft Information

athenscock3

Feb 7, 2022
According to an article in today's AJC 23 former Georgia high school kids were drafted. Of the 23 only 6 were in the top 257 rated coming out of hs. 4 were unranked. Rankings did not mean that much. A couple of the top ranked were not drafted. Georgia was third in the country with the number drafted in the recent draft.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This article is a little outdated, but it's one of the better breakdowns I've seen. I'd imagine the numbers hold about true today, but maybe not.

Basically, yeah, you have lot more 3* and lower drafted because there are a heck of a lot more of them. For the 2018 draft, though, a former 5* had a 57.6% chance of getting drafted while a 3* had a 6.9% chance. Your chance of getting drafted decreases with star rating.

Of course, the article was written by 247 in defense of recruiting rankings, but the numbers are the numbers.

Reactions: USClight

Big JC

May 12, 2023
This is the kind of statistic that makes college teams that don't recruit well feel better. In college football, the teams that sign the highest rated players and the most of them generally are the teams that are contending for championships.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This is the kind of statistic that makes college teams that don't recruit well feel better. In college football, the teams that sign the highest rated players and the most of them generally are the teams that are contending for championships.

The never ending debate of whether stars matter.

All I know is, the teams that have higher ranked classes perform better.

You can't find a team that has won a national title in the last 15-20 years who didn't have a top 10 ranked recruiting class in the 4 years leading up to the title. It gets a little more jumbled outside the top 10 because you're looking at classes that are mostly comprised of 3* recruits where there is so much variability.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
The never ending debate of whether stars matter.

All I know is, the teams that have higher ranked classes perform better.

You can't find a team that has won a national title in the last 15-20 years who didn't have a top 10 ranked recruiting class in the 4 years leading up to the title. It gets a little more jumbled outside the top 10 because you're looking at classes that are mostly comprised of 3* recruits where there is so much variability.
Many national championship teams also have a generational talent player at qb or rb or wr. Take Deshaun and that Lawrence girl away from Clemson and they don't win any national championships after the cheating years of Danny Ford. The same can be said of Auburn and $cam.

Latest posts