Is historical lack of USC players at local pro level a coincidence or by design?

Conquestluvr

Aug 24, 2017
I have been a USC fan since 1968, and have also followed local pro sports since that time, but I am no fan of LA pro sports.

The main reason is that despite all the talent USC has provided in all three major sports over these 54 years, USC has been grossly under represented on local pro rosters.

Conversely, UCLA has been very well represented.

I can only recall two USC starters for the Rams in all these years. They were Bob Klein about 50 years ago, and Robert Woods more recently. This seems like a statistical anomaly. Is it coincidence or by design?

Today, neither the Rams, Chargers, Lakers, or Clippers have any Trojans.

Have local LA teams avoided USC players so as not to develop a USC identity? They have sure had no problem with bringing in Bruins over the years.

Even John Robinson's Rams had a bunch of Bruins and Domers, but only 3rd string Trojans.

Reactions: SFV Trojan

Socrates

Aug 29, 2021
I believe at one time years ago the NFL and NBA had territorial draft picks.
Maybe some older codger than myself recalls the specifics?
That could account for why there might have been more local college players on NBA and NFL rosters at one time.

trojanart

Apr 17, 2019
I have been a USC fan since 1968, and have also followed local pro sports since that time, but I am no fan of LA pro sports.

The main reason is that despite all the talent USC has provided in all three major sports over these 54 years, USC has been grossly under represented on local pro rosters.

I can only recall two USC starters for the Rams in all these years. They were Bob Klein about 50 years ago, and Robert Woods more recently. This seems like a statistical anomaly. Is it coincidence or by design?

Have local LA teams avoided USC players so as not to develop a USC identity? They have sure had no problem with bringing in Bruins over the years.

Even John Robinson's Rams had a bunch of Bruins and Domers, but only 3rd string Trojans.

Pat Haden was a Ram. Charles White led the NFL in rushing as a Ram, but that was when replacement players were being used during a strike or lockout season. John Robinson was the coach that year.

Conquestluvr

Aug 24, 2017
Pat Haden was a Ram. Charles White led the NFL in rushing as a Ram, but that was when replacement players were being used during a strike or lockout season. John Robinson was the coach that year.
I think Haden replaced Ferragamo who was injured . Ram fans did not like Haden, which is when I learned I could not identify with Ram fans.

Globe

Aug 24, 2017
I'd say this is 100% coincidence. NFL teams draft whoever they think will help them the most.

By the way I didn't like Haden when he was with the Rams because he wasn't a good pro QB.

CoronaTrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
In the NFL, isn't it just the case that if a well-known player from USC got drafted in the first round there was really only a 1 in 26 chance that that player would end up with the LA Rams?

Guys like OJ or Marcus Allen or Brad Budde or Charly Young or Anthony Munoz or Ryan Kalil or Junior Seau were top 10 draft picks and went to teams all over the country and had long careers there - so unless the Rams had an early pick in those years they simply would not have had a shot at those guys.

Reactions: sc69er

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
It was always the Raiders, owned by a former USC coach who had all the Trojan players. Just off the top of my head Rod Sherman, Willie Hall, Marcus Allen, Clarence Davis, John Vella, Bobby Chandler, Don Mosebar, Skip Thomas, Bob Svihus, Rikki Ellison, Mike Rae, Vince Evans, Rod Martin and I’m sure there are many more. Todd Marinovich.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I'd say this is 100% coincidence. NFL teams draft whoever they think will help them the most.

By the way I didn't like Haden when he was with the Rams because he wasn't a good pro QB.
It wasn’t always like that. It was done by proximity up until the early 60’s I believe. But I think that only applied to the early rounds. I think that is how the Rams ended up with Jon Arnett

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018

When choosing which pro games to watch, I always pick a game with USC players

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
It was always the Raiders, owned by a former USC coach who had all the Trojan players. Just off the top of my head Rod Sherman, Willie Hall, Marcus Allen, Clarence Davis, John Vella, Bobby Chandler, Don Mosebar, Skip Thomas, Bob Svihus, Rikki Ellison, Mike Rae, Vince Evans, Rod Martin and I’m sure there are many more. Todd Marinovich.
Didnt Ronnie Lott play for the Raiders later on in his career?

Conquestluvr

Aug 24, 2017
Didnt Ronnie Lott play for the Raiders later on in
I think you only missed Charles Phillips and a DL last name Russell. Rams also chose Cappeletti over Lynn Swann in 1974 draft

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Yeah, Darrell Russell, and I remembered CP but just forgot to type his name. I didn’t include Lott because the thread was more about drafting players

MdatrojaninE

Jan 16, 2022
Yeah, Darrell Russell, and I remembered CP but just forgot to type his name. I didn’t include Lott because the thread was more about drafting players
I thought that might've been the case regarding Lott...Blem if only CP had the talent around him that followed after his departure!

Latest posts