Is Marvin Lewis a possibility?

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Nobody knows for sure what Bohn is thinking. But this is the first time I’ve heard Lewis name mentioned in regards to this.

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
Defense, big name, won a super bowl as a dcoordinator….failed as a head coach.

Charismatic….sound familiar. There was another loser HC that was a solid DC. He came in and turned this program around.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Fair but out of all the coaches we are considering, who has a resume that says that?

None zilch zip nada
Do they need to say that, exactly? If he was worth an HC spot, then Lewis surely would have had one over the last two to three years. It's not like he did horrible things with the Bears. I don't have much of a gauge on him as a coach. He's just a special advisor at ASU, and was moved away from the co-coordinator spot. Very odd.

Reactions: Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
if is a horrible word….but if Carson doesnt get hurt that playoff game, you wonder what type of noise abd games they could have won….

The Bengals are a tough tough organization to win at. They are known to be missing alot of the support staff that other winners do have. There is an article where Carson speaks to that.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Available immediately. May want the job as opposed to others who might be flirting with it to get a bump in their current contract. Inexpensive compared to the big names.
Hasn't coached in three years, isn't in a position or coordinator spot, don't know his philosophy. Inexpensive and available doesn't mean success. Not much of a selling point.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Available immediately. May want the job as opposed to others who might be flirting with it to get a bump in their current contract. Inexpensive compared to the big names.

We need an HC who can restore USC football back among the elites of CFB and contending for NC’s. That is the only reason that matters.

If it looks like Lewis is the guy to do this, then let’s look seriously at him. But absolutely do not hire a guy just because he’s available, inexpensive, and may want the job. Those should be the furthest thing from Bohn’s mind at this point.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Willlson!

Aug 24, 2017
We need an HC who can restore USC football back among the elites of CFB and contending for NC’s. That is the only reason that matters.

If it looks like Lewis is the guy to do this, then let’s look seriously at him. But absolutely do not hire a guy just because he’s available, inexpensive, and may want the job. Those should be the furthest thing from Bohn’s mind at this point.
I totally agree, however, Bohn may have a slightly different criteria, namely "getting the best available coach in the US, who will also take XXX amount of dollars."

I want to see Fickell or Franklin, but I'm becoming more convinced we'll see an NFL retread on the sideline.

Willlson!

Aug 24, 2017
Hasn't coached in three years, isn't in a position or coordinator spot, don't know his philosophy. Inexpensive and available doesn't mean success. Not much of a selling point.
Another factor is how the candidate "clicks" with Bohn and Co. They could have so-so interviews with a couple of big name sure-thing candidates, then the guy with the spotty resume who they interviewed on zoom as a favor for a donor blows them away.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
I totally agree, however, Bohn may have a slightly different criteria, namely "getting the best available coach in the US, who will also take XXX amount of dollars."

I want to see Fickell or Franklin, but I'm becoming more convinced we'll see an NFL retread on the sideline.

None of us knows for sure, but I don’t think Bohn is in the mindset to settle on what he can get for certain amount of dollars. He knows that this is his big chance (possibly only chance) to hit a home run with the school’s flagship sport, and that everyone in the country is watching what he does with this hire.

I’m sure he has not budgeted an absurd amount like $20 mil per year, but if he’s not willing or able to pay going rate for for a top HC, we could really be screwed. $6 mil per year would be nearly doubling Fickell’s current salary, and performance incentives could push that much higher.

I suspect that he already has his targets in mind and has in some way gauged their interest. I also suspect that he has made his case to the powers that be, has gotten approval to make offers, and will be making those offers once the season ends.

I understand your point, but man, I hope Bohn doesn’t settle on whatever he can get for a relatively modest salary. And I’m pretty confident that he won’t do that.

I hope he pulls an Alabama, determines the coach he wants to hire, and does what it takes to lure him to USC.

I suspect that he is going to do that with Fickell.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
I like Marvin but what do I know. Put in a call to Rey and Carson and get their opinion. We have endless resources. Use them and make the right choice

Latest posts