Is this the long-term goal of expansion?

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Part of what is going to give is fan interest.
I partially agree with this.

When Carolina plays Texas or Oklahoma, I'm going to be really excited. Same thing is true for Michigan fans welcoming Southern Cal to the Big House, and all the other interesting matchups realignment has created. But the excluded fan bases are screwed.

The next 5 years will be really interesting to see play out.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
UPC was top-tier in the 70s. Although they only won the one national championship, they went to nice bowls throughout that time and beat some name programs. The only mitigator is that, during the 1970s, Fla. State and Georgia were also good and UPC played one or the other - or both - almost every year. I'm just saying is that Dabo is not he first person to have them among the elite.
I get that, but to an entire generation they were nothing but an average football program until 2015. Nothing they did in 70s is relatable to the 2010s.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I partially agree with this.

When Carolina plays Texas or Oklahoma, I'm going to be really excited. Same thing is true for Michigan fans welcoming Southern Cal to the Big House, and all the other interesting matchups realignment has created. But the excluded fan bases are screwed.

The next 5 years will be really interesting to see play out.
But UT and OU coming to the SEC will, over time, take away the very aspect that makes it a fun matchup.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I get that, but to an entire generation they were nothing but an average football program until 2015. Nothing they did in 70s is relatable to the 2010s.
It is, because their heritage is the source of their leverage when it becomes possible for the SEC to move on them. All of their heritage. It works that way with all the schools that have ever won big and are still striving to. Notre Dame is the king of this, no national championship since 1988.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
But UT and OU coming to the SEC will, over time, take away the very aspect that makes it a fun matchup.
I would disagree there, I think. Texas and Oklahoma are two of the marquee brands of college football. A game against them will always be a big deal, in the way a game against Alabama, Auburn, or LSU is a big deal.

Tennessee is a game we only played 8 times prior to joining the SEC, but it's turned into a fun matchup the last decade and a half. It's not minimized by playing every year. I wouldn't want to play UT or OU every year, but every couple years will be special. Or at least that's how I view it now. Perhaps that changes in a decade.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I would disagree there, I think. Texas and Oklahoma are two of the marquee brands of college football. A game against them will always be a big deal, in the way a game against Alabama, Auburn, or LSU is a big deal.

Tennessee is a game we only played 8 times prior to joining the SEC, but it's turned into a fun matchup the last decade and a half. It's not minimized by playing every year. I wouldn't want to play UT or OU every year, but every couple years will be special. Or at least that's how I view it now. Perhaps that changes in a decade.
I'm inclined to agree.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
It is, because their heritage is the source of their leverage when it becomes possible for the SEC to move on them. All of their heritage. It works that way with all the schools that have ever won big and are still striving to. Notre Dame is the king of this, no national championship since 1988.
Their being attractive to the SEC was not the point of my post. The point of my post was that nothing they did in the 70s, nor the 81 title, has any relevance to the success they built in the 2010s. They are a smaller school, smaller alumni base, 1.5 hours away in the same state. They were not a program that established themselves as a national blue blood. And if they can do it, I’m not going to say we can never do it.

Backyard Archer

Joined Aug 15, 2017
Jan 18, 2022
The administrator's quote is what I've been thinking lately too. The money difference is huge, so logistics or wins and losses haven't been considered. But give it a few years, and something will have to give. The thousand mile flights for weeknight volleyball matches don't make sense.
Non-football sports all take charter buses to and from games so it'll be interesting to see what happens. Schools suddenly having to increase their travel budgets at least tenfold to include these cross country flights instead of regional bus trips would cost millions, taking a good chunk out of their extra money from joining new leagues. I think we'll end up seeing the football teams branch off and Olympic sports staying in regional conferences like what Chip Kelly said above.

Reactions: will110

IOPGCock

Jan 30, 2022
The administrator's quote is what I've been thinking lately too. The money difference is huge, so logistics or wins and losses haven't been considered. But give it a few years, and something will have to give. The thousand mile flights for weeknight volleyball matches don't make sense.
What’s going to give is football. Someone-private equity, Apple, Amazon- with real cash will try and create a super league. Football will break from NCAA and then the schools can clean up the mess they made with the other sports.

But I guarantee anyone inside the Big or SEC 5-10 years from now ain’t going back anywhere voluntarily. To much $$$

Reactions: will110

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Their being attractive to the SEC was not the point of my post. The point of my post was that nothing they did in the 70s, nor the 81 title, has any relevance to the success they built in the 2010s. They are a smaller school, smaller alumni base, 1.5 hours away in the same state. They were not a program that established themselves as a national blue blood. And if they can do it, I’m not going to say we can never do it.
I am. Their culture is better than our culture and their administration (the philosophy is what I'm speaking of more than the individuals) is better than our administration. As for UPC, they were stouter during the 80s than the were during all but the very end of the 70s. I put too much emphasis on the 70s.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I am. Their culture is better than our culture and their administration (the philosophy is what I'm speaking of more than the individuals) is better than our administration. As for UPC, they were stouter during the 80s than the were during all but the very end of the 70s. I put too much emphasis on the 70s.
They got very, very luck with the Dabo hire. Hopefully we did the same with Beamer. But if their culture and admin was so great they wouldn't have wallered in mediocrity for 30 years. That program was in a bad place at then of TBs tenure. And TDP, on his way out the door, threw a hail mary on a budget hire due to TBs buyout. Presto...their admin all of a sudden looks like geniuses and the culture has flipped around.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
They got very, very luck with the Dabo hire. Hopefully we did the same with Beamer. But if their culture and admin was so great they wouldn't have wallered in mediocrity for 30 years. That program was in a bad place at then of TBs tenure. And TDP, on his way out the door, threw a hail mary on a budget hire due to TBs buyout. Presto...their admin all of a sudden looks like geniuses and the culture has flipped around.

To be fair, all hires are luck...either good or bad. Unless you're hiring Urban Meyer. He's the one guy you could pretty much bank on winning big at any program he went to because he's done it.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
To be fair, all hires are luck...either good or bad. Unless you're hiring Urban Meyer. He's the one guy you could pretty much bank on winning big at any program he went to because he's done it.
While true, promoting your WR coach (who had only been in coaching for a few years) to HC is a YUGE risk. It happened to work out, and they all look like geniuses. But if you recall, the outcry from the clemsux faithful after his 2nd year when they went 6-7 was tremendous. At that point, it seemed like a disaster and everyone around the program looked like idiots. Nobody was happy. Winning makes everything look like Candyland.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Their culture drove their resurgence and their administration responded to it. Otherwise, they never would have come back to prominence. I would remind you that Bama changed coaches multiple times between Bryant and Stallings, and again between Stallings and Nick Saban. And look at Notre Dame between Leahy and Parseghian. Those schools had a sense of "place". While maybe not as warranted, UPC has that same quality. I suspect they will always have it.