It was 20 years ago today.....

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
1 of the 2 loudest times I have heard the Beav I was about 10 rows up on the 20 yard line... that game and the OSU game when Hali sacked Smith causing the fumble in the OSU game. That OSU game was literally like sitting right behind a jet engine. I was screaming at friends next to me and they literally couldn't hear me. My ears were ringing walking out of the stadium.

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I was at both games. This one and ‘05 Ohio St. This game was crazy loud, but that ‘05 OSU game was ludicrous. I was under the overhang of the upper deck in the north end zone and the entire upper deck was swaying. I was genuinely concerned that something bad was going to happen to the structure of the stadium. I remember after Joe passed away they interviewed the head grounds keeper at the Beav and he was referencing all the special games Joe had coached there. He said after that OSU game they had to go through the stadium structure and replace some bolts and tighten some things up. 😳 I was also screaming at the top of my lungs at my friend sitting right next to me and he didn’t even realize I was talking to him.

JWB389

Oct 7, 2021
I still say that the Beav after Gardner's int was the loudest I've ever heard it including OSU 05.
Still one of my top Beaver Stadium memories. There was an incredible amount of pent up energy for that game from the PSU fanbase after the miserable 2001 performance and the need for revenge from '94.

That Nebraska team turned out to be not so good though.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
I wonder if that guy who got his red Nebraska cowboy hat stolen and got it back....is still around and still has it.....
That also happened to a Nebraska fan in 1982, witnessed it at that classic game

Reactions: Zenophile

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
I’m pretty sure the Garner INT was the play that Richie Incognito got ejected for sucker punching a PSU player. He’s always been a thug.
I forgot about that! But I think you're right....

Chris92

Oct 14, 2021
I wonder if that guy who got his red Nebraska cowboy hat stolen and got it back....is still around and still has it.....
He might want to get rid of that hat; Nebraska hasn't won more than 10 games in a season since the hat was returned.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU87 and LionJim

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021

If I recall correctly he did get his hat back. I was there walking back from the stadium when the kid took it from him.

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
I was at both games. This one and ‘05 Ohio St. This game was crazy loud, but that ‘05 OSU game was ludicrous. I was under the overhang of the upper deck in the north end zone and the entire upper deck was swaying. I was genuinely concerned that something bad was going to happen to the structure of the stadium. I remember after Joe passed away they interviewed the head grounds keeper at the Beav and he was referencing all the special games Joe had coached there. He said after that OSU game they had to go through the stadium structure and replace some bolts and tighten some things up. 😳 I was also screaming at the top of my lungs at my friend sitting right next to me and he didn’t even realize I was talking to him.
This is not the first time I've heard statements like this. I've heard many people say they felt for their lives at that OSU game that night! 😳

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Also the '99 game vs #4 Arizona. The AZ players talked a lot of crap leading up to the game and received the same A$$ beating.

I was at that game as well. Probably the hottest game I have ever attended. They ran out of drinks and were throwing ice to people to eat/drink to hydrate and stay cool. Talk about opening a can of whoop azz on AZ.

PSU73

Oct 12, 2021
That was very enjoyable. Michael Robinson the b/u QB taking pitches, Robbie Gould...still playing in the NFL, Zach with that unique short armed pass, the Johnson's, and so much more.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I'd pay a thousand dollars right now to live that day again.
If you do end up going back in time to that day, can you wander down to the sideline and give the coaching staff a heads up about what is going to happen in the last 3 games of that season, so maybe, they can change something? Thanks from a still bitter fan/alumni who was at 2 of those excruciating losses.

Last edited:

PSU73

Oct 12, 2021
Also the '99 game vs #4 Arizona. The AZ players talked a lot of crap leading up to the game and received the same A$$ beating.
I was there to watch that 'really fast' wide receiver core and team just run fast all over us as fast as they could be fast.
A f'A$$'t beating.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Seargent Pepper taught the band to play......

and this also happened....

One of my favorite PSU games to attend....

I remember watching this arse whooping on the tele and saying wow that stadium is electric and wished we were there. Also, I think there were a couple things in play that lit the place up. 1)Night Game(which was rare back then), 2) We were ranked lower and there was belief that we could upset them, 3) Most of all is the pent up anger in the fan base from the 1994 season where Nebraska jumped over us and got awarded the National Championship when we actually deserved it. Feck dem Huskers!!!

Needless to say this is the main reason I made damn sure I was in the stadium for the '05 OSU game!!

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
If you do end up going back in time to that day, can you wander down to the sideline and give the coaching staff a heads up about what is going to happen in the last 3 games of that season, so maybe, they can change something? Thanks from a still bitter fan/alumni who was at 2 of those excruciating losses.
Steady, brother…

Reactions: LB99

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021

Since we have to go there now I remember being in the stands after that BS with MN. We were literally stunned. And my friend got so angry at the people around us talking about what keggers they were going to that night. We had a wake.

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Since we have to go there now I remember being in the stands after that BS with MN. We were literally stunned. And my friend got so angry at the people around us taking about what keggers they were going to that night. We had a wake.
Yup. I then tortured myself the following week by returning to watch the Michigan debacle.

CVLion

Oct 13, 2021
Since we have to go there now I remember being in the stands after that BS with MN. We were literally stunned. And my friend got so angry at the people around us talking about what keggers they were going to that night. We had a wake.
The stadium went so silent right after the game-winning FG by Minny. I never heard it so quiet… in contrast to ‘02 Nebraska and ‘05 OSU.

Nitts

Sep 20, 2021
We were right next to the guy when it happened, never knew he got it back. He was not happy.

What a game though, I’ve never heard that place louder up until that point after that Garnder pick. My ears were ringing for days. Good times.

JWB389

Oct 7, 2021
We were right next to the guy when it happened, never knew he got it back. He was not happy.

What a game though, I’ve never heard that place louder up until that point after that Garnder pick. My ears were ringing for days. Good times.
I'm pretty sure there was a successful group effort on either the Scout board or the old BWI board to help return the hat.

Reactions: 91Joe95

jshell

Feb 18, 2022
This is not the first time I've heard statements like this. I've heard many people say they felt for their lives at that OSU game that night! 😳
Same thing during and after the Michigan 4OT game. We were in the upper deck and you could feel it bouncing.

Reactions: ODShowtime

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
The stadium went so silent right after the game-winning FG by Minny. I never heard it so quiet… in contrast to ‘02 Nebraska and ‘05 OSU.

That was the high-water mark for PSU since I've been paying attention. 20 GD years ago. I had no idea how lofty our perch was or that we would basically never get back to that again.

The 2006 Orange Bowl win soothed that wound a little since I was in attendance and somehow didn't get arrested.

Reactions: CVLion

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
For Penn State: “This is Wide Receiver Johnson. No, the other one.”

If only nebby had scott frost as coach for that game...

…Penn State would have scored a hundred.