Jaheim Bell in the Portal

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
I pull for all the Gamecocks in the NFL and coworkers that leave on good terms, but I can't pull for someone who leaves my family because he likes another one better.
Again it's just my two cents, doesn't mean I'm right.
In my opinion, Bell is leaving on good terms. He has bit his tounge and has been thankful for the opportunity. I'm sure his family put pressure in him to leave.

Feb 8, 2022
It is bad, but not unexpected. Remember after one game where he was hardly targeted, his family was tweeting about him in the portal.
If I recall correctly, he was NEVER targeted .... CSB is culpable with this (and I love having him as our HC) ... but after the game, CSB noted personnel packages that did not have Bell in them ... you have your top playmakers involved in virtually every package ... I understand CSB protecting Satterfield and I am certain conversations took place behind the scenes (and likely very direct conversations), but this was inexcusable ... I do not blame Bell at all .. this transfer portal has to be tamed ... I understand you have opened Pandora's box, but there has to be ways to stop the out and out free agency that is about ... poor planning and thought has brought this transfer portal to where it is also detrimental ...

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Bell knows what is about to happen. Very good chance we take a big step backwards on offense. He'd rather go somewhere else than deal with starting over on offense.
Why would we take a "big" step backwards on offense? The problem/stubborn OC who misused Bell and others is gone. It would be very difficult for things to be worse with the new OC based on our offensive production this year.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Yeah, this one hurts. Don’t blame him though. Either we didn’t develop him enough to be on the field every play or we completely misused him. When we finally got him in there, it was not at his best position. Hope he has success elsewhere. But losing two TEs today is a big blow.
Use a certain receiver, the TE gets pissed and leaves. Use a certain RB more, the other RB leaves. I guess now, the coaches only job is to make sure your team only features a few players to ensure they get big nfl contracts. Not to mention shopping for bigger NIL money.

Bell did not get enough touches early in year but that got remedied. Not to mention he got lots of attention from defenses and was not open as much. Plus, Satterfield is gone.

Oh well, I am happy when we get someone from the portal, but hate losing them. Kind of funny how bipolar we can be.

The plagiarism on these twitter posts are comical. They all talk about how appreciative they are and how much they love their teammates…..then say goodbye😀

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Use a certain receiver, the TE gets pissed and leaves. Use a certain RB more, the other RB leaves. I guess now, the coaches only job is to make sure your team only features a few players to ensure they get big nfl contracts. Not to mention shopping for bigger NIL money.

Bell did not get enough touches early in year but that got remedied. Not to mention he got lots of attention from defenses and was not open as much. Plus, Satterfield is gone.

Oh well, I am happy when we get someone from the portal, but hate losing them. Kind of funny how bipolar we can be.

The plagiarism on these twitter posts are comical. They all talk about how appreciative they are and how much they love their teammates…..then say goodbye😀
Yeah, at this point, the Twitter posts are ridiculous. At least Bell didn't throw in some token mention of God. I never knew God was such a college football fan until reading all of these transfer portal announcements.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
I find it hard to wish a player good luck when they decide to leave us for "greener pasture ".
If they didn't play and went to a smaller school to get playing time I understand, but this situation or one like it? No, I hope they don't do well.
Just feels like a betrayal. Just my two cents.
Great point…..I can see great talent not wanting to sit….but for featured players who start, leaving your team makes no sense. Rattler wasn’t starting….Wells was at JMU…..I guess I can’t have it both ways.

GoCocksFight2021

Jan 18, 2022
Why would we take a "big" step backwards on offense? The problem/stubborn OC who misused Bell and others is gone. It would be very difficult for things to be worse with the new OC based on our offensive production this year.

It would be very difficult?

This year's points per game was better than 9 of the 11 seasons with Spurrier.
This year's yards per game was better than 7 of the 11 seasons with Spurrier. Only 2 seasons over 400 yards per game.

Most of Spurrier's season were worse.

How long have you been a Gamecock fan?

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
It would be very difficult?

This year's points per game was better than 9 of the 11 seasons with Spurrier.
This year's yards per game was better than 7 of the 11 seasons with Spurrier. Only 2 seasons over 400 yards per game.

Most of Spurrier's season were worse.

How long have you been a Gamecock fan?
Longer than you've been alive I'm willing to bet.
Can't believe you are still defending Satterfield's offensive production.
Strip out the "phantom play caller" games and we are heavily reliant on special teams and defense for offensive production.

Cocky Hobbit

Joined Dec 15, 2014
Feb 1, 2022
Yeah, this one hurts. Don’t blame him though. Either we didn’t develop him enough to be on the field every play or we completely misused him. When we finally got him in there, it was not at his best position. Hope he has success elsewhere. But losing two TEs today is a big blow.

Cocky Hobbit

Joined Dec 15, 2014
Feb 1, 2022
If there is any truth that he’s going to Colorado then I think that’s a positive — it shows the level of talent that we have had on our roster. Coach Prime is only going go go after top level talent. Satterfield underutilized Bell snd Coach Beamer has to take the blame. He should have lit Marcus up by week 3 for not using him.

Reactions: Prestonyte

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
So in summation….good luck to Stogner and Bell. Thanks for your hard work. The fans liked you.

With that said….let’s move on to the Moneyball theory of how to replace 45 catches for 441 yards (37.75 yards per game average), along with a staggering 3 TDs (1.5 pts per game). I think we will be fine. I think Kenion is our most dangerous TE anyway. Adkins proved you can find a workhorse blocker who can also catch. We are going to be okay here.

PS- for those of you wanting to hop in and say what about Bell’s versatility as a RB, ( 3 TDs as an RB), my answer is he is not a RB, and we should have never put him in that position simply to try and get him the ball. I have no doubts we can find better RBs. Not dogging Bell here, he would be the first to tell you he’s not a RB.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrMickeySC

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
So in summation….good luck to Stogner and Bell. Thanks for your hard work. The fans liked you.

With that said….let’s move on to the Moneyball theory of how to replace 45 catches for 441 yards (37.75 yards per game average), along with a staggering 3 TDs (1.5 pts per game). I think we will be fine. I think Kenion is our most dangerous TE anyway. Adkins proved you can find a workhorse blocker who can also catch. We are going to be okay here.

PS- for those of you wanting to hop in and say what about Bell’s versatility as a RB, ( 3 TDs as an RB), my answer is he is not a RB, and we should have never put him in that position simply to try and get him the ball. I have no doubts we can find better RBs. Not dogging Bell here, he would be the first to tell you he’s not a RB.
I think that long-term you have the right perspective. Short-term, we have serious concerns.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
I think that long-term you have the right perspective. Short-term, we have serious concerns.
Well, you’re right there cause it doesn’t help our bowl game. Other than that not really a big deal. Would I love to have Bell/Stogner back…sure. But we have a long history of really good tight ends so we will be fine. ND is losing key players as well.

athenscock3

Feb 7, 2022
Truth of the matter is we don't know what he could have done if he had been used properly so listing what he did produce is simewhat misleading. Truth of the matter is for three fourths of the season we had no real playmaker. I think Bell could have been one but standing on the sidelines we'll never know. Fortunately, we had some playmakers finally emerge for one quarter of the season and we ended on a high note.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Welp, Beamer and Satt, week in and week out, made comments confirming that we needed to get Bell the ball. Then we'd come on Saturday and he'd get no targets. Then they'd say the same thing and he'd end up again with hardly any targets.

Then when we did incorporate him, we used him at RB, which was a puzzling choice. I'm sure he was frustrated. If he has NFL aspirations, it's not at RB for sure. I'd be surprised if Beamer didn't give him some assurances that with a new OC he'd be played to his skill set. Who knows? Onward an upward.

It's a disappointing loss, but not staggering.

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022

Oddly, though, Bell ran the ball well enough to be our leading rusher 5 games, including the last 4 of the season. I know Lloyd was injured some of that time. But do we only have one RB? Anyway, I think he performed admirably when called upon and I think he'll be missed. He was a big body that could fall forward for 3-4 yards.

Reactions: KingWard

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Well, you’re right there cause it doesn’t help our bowl game. Other than that not really a big deal. Would I love to have Bell/Stogner back…sure. But we have a long history of really good tight ends so we will be fine. ND is losing key players as well.
Bell's the kind of player who, if properly used, can break an opponent. I hope his absence in Jacksonville doesn't prove to be decisive. We'll know if it is.

Reactions: The Reel Ess

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Oddly, though, Bell ran the ball well enough to be our leading rusher 5 games, including the last 4 of the season. I know Lloyd was injured some of that time. But do we only have one RB? Anyway, I think he performed admirably when called upon and I think he'll be missed. He was a big body that could fall forward for 3-4 yards.
He will be missed. But what could have been is a tale as old as time. We will find better RBs and better TEs. I still say we have two RBs that should have played in place of Bell at that position after our injuries. I commend him for his handling of that duty.

Reactions: HillsToSea

Cock-n-Lateral

Oct 1, 2022
It’s a divorce. Let him go, hopefully to a 1-11 Colorado team. Good luck there!
It really is going to be interesting to see how the Coach Prime thing goes. We know he's going to get players, but running an organization, keeping everybody happy, etc is probably much harder at the div 1 level (or whatever they're calling it these days). First thing is, when all these talented players go it transfer there, they're all gonna want the ball and there's only one so we'll see how that goes. He already told his while team to go ahead and "jump in the portal". 😂

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It really is going to be interesting to see how the Coach Prime thing goes. We know he's going to get players, but running an organization, keeping everybody happy, etc is probably much harder at the div 1 level (or whatever they're calling it these days). First thing is, when all these talented players go it transfer there, they're all gonna want the ball and there's only one so we'll see how that goes. He already told his while team to go ahead and "jump in the portal". 😂
Yeah, I'm not yet sold on Deion as a college coach. Maybe he'll blow up, who knows, but it's gonna take a lot more substance to turn around Colorado State. They've been really, really bad for 5 straight seasons. He was able to recruit pretty well to JSU largely on the basis of the novelty of it all. P5 is a different beast altogether. CSU has had a losing record in 11 of the last 19 seasons. All it took for him to separate JSU from the SWAC pack was a couple big recruits. It's gonna take a lot more than that at CSU. Not saying he can't/won't do it, but there's an awful lot that goes into it at the P5 level as you point out.

Last edited:

Statelinecock

Feb 13, 2022
What team did Bell have 1 career game against? Oh it was that same team app. St dropped 40 in a quarter on. Bell , Klubnic etc... have had career games against unc defenses.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Yeah, I'm not yet sold on Deion as a college coach. Maybe he'll blow up, who knows, but it's gonna take a lot more substance to turn around Colorado State. They've been really, really bad for 5 straight seasons. He was able to recruit pretty well to JSU largely on the basis of the novelty of it all. P5 is a different beast altogether. CSU has had a losing record in 11 of the last 19 seasons. All it took for him to separate JSU from the SWAC pack was a couple big recruits. It's gonna take a lot more than that at CSU. Not saying he can't/won't do it, but there's an awful lot that goes into it at the P5 level as you point out.
Colorado.

Crazy Cock 89

Mar 19, 2022
How and Why do We Allow this to Happen?

The Blue Blood Programs Would Never Allow One of Their Biggest Play Makers to Transfer Out. Someone should have increased his NIL or Something.

How did NO One Know this Youngman and His Family Where Unhappy??

For Goodness Sakes 😳 it has been a Horrible Day.

Then I saw this on the News. I was thinking This Must Be An Reporting Error.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022

The Blue Blood Programs Would Never Allow One of Their Biggest Play Makers to Transfer Out. Someone should have increased his NIL or Something.

A bunch of teams had big playmakers leave.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

They knew. Everyone knew.

Surfcock

Jul 24, 2022
What I know, I'm indebted for to a friend I have to protect. Otherwise, his method of gaining information that I've found to be good since the Carlen era would melt away, and along with that, our friendship. It's not worth it.
Well Carlen has passed away. Can you give up those ghost stories? LoL

WingchunCock

Joined Dec 27, 2020
Jan 22, 2022

Then I saw this on the News. I was thinking This Must Be A Reporting Error.
Uh, Oklahoma lost Rattler and Caleb Williams….

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Well Carlen has passed away. Can you give up those ghost stories? LoL
[You know what. I actually wrote down something in this space that I got on very good authority - something that goes back even before Carlen. But then I realized I was talking about a dead man who still has family around. I don't want to be doing that.]

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
What exactly is devastating about him leaving? Until he caught the long TD in the Mayo Bowl I had never thought twice about him. His numbers this year didn't prove anything much and we still won 8 games. He was versatile player that maybe was a tad over average but he didn't move the needle that much for me. I was as impressed with Traevon Kenion as I was with Bell
No one demanded more attention as this thing evolved than he. No one had glittering numbers this year since we spent most of it sputtering systemically. As things are now - today - he is by far the most significant departure yet.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022

Blue Bloods (and every other team) are having their top players entering the portal, and it's not that uncommon. One only has to take a look at players (from all schools) entering the portal. It is the world we now live in.