James Franklin comment re the transfer portal

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
JF comment re the transfer portal and how fast players are moving was striking. he said some guys are in there under 2 days and then gone to another school. His comment was that is almost impossible to move that fast, and contact pre-portal is illegal (I think he mean under NCAA regs).

I found this amazing......2 days is impossible if you are doing all the normal process to make this happen. Heck 2 days is tough even for first contact.

The one tweak would be to go back to force the players to sit a year. Leave the transfer portal process, but just don't let them play for a year. That takes the TP role as a way for teams to build via free agency with instant team. i think most of the coaches would favor that rule. The NCAA would have to punish the violators, and make sure their contract was solid with the schools, so there were no loopholes.

At the end of the day the TP is nothing but a website and database along with some workflow system. Without players being able to be instantly playing it loses some of the magic.

Reactions: FHSPSU67 and FTLPSU

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
I'd institute a time frame during which the portal is open and during which players can declare. For example, they can declare for the portal only after the final post season game is played. Then teams can only accept players from the portal after signing day. That allows for a month or so during which players and teams can determine what may be the best fit. The portal would close prior to the start of fall practice. Disgruntled players declaring for the portal mid-season isn't good for anyone.

EDIT: Alternatively, given there is now an early signing period during which the vast majority of prep players sign the NLI, players can only declare for the portal after their final regular season game. Then teams can only accept portal players after the early signing period ends. This would still allow for a period of evaluation by both parties as well as make it possible for the player to enroll for the spring semester and participate in spring drills at the new school.

The second option would make more sense.

Last edited:

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
JF comment re the transfer portal and how fast players are moving was striking. he said some guys are in there under 2 days and then gone to another school. His comment was that is almost impossible to move that fast, and contact pre-portal is illegal (I think he mean under NCAA regs).

I found this amazing......2 days is impossible if you are doing all the normal process to make this happen. Heck 2 days is tough even for first contact.

The one tweak would be to go back to force the players to sit a year. Leave the transfer portal process, but just don't let them play for a year. That takes the TP role as a way for teams to build via free agency with instant team. i think most of the coaches would favor that rule. The NCAA would have to punish the violators, and make sure their contract was solid with the schools, so there were no loopholes.

At the end of the day the TP is nothing but a website and database along with some workflow system. Without players being able to be instantly playing it loses some of the magic.
Get real and wake up to reality. If the NCAA did what you suggested they would open themselves up to a spate of Lawsuits. They would rather stick their heads in the sand and pretend there’s no problem then face that.

Anyway if someone really cared, the issue isn’t the portals effect on teams. The real societal problem is kids with inflated egos or more detrimentally those who received bad advice. Because of the portal there's hundreds of players who have relinquished scholarships and now find that no one requires their services. That’s the only reason to return to the wait one year before being eligible rule. But then again I’ve already explained why that isn’t happening.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Get real and wake up to reality. If the NCAA did what you suggested they would open themselves up to a spate of Lawsuits. They would rather stick their heads in the sand and pretend there’s no problem then face that.

Anyway if someone really cared, the issue isn’t the portals effect on teams. The real societal problem is kids with inflated egos or more detrimentally those who received bad advice. Because of the portal there's hundreds of players who have relinquished scholarships and now find that no one requires their services. That’s the only reason to return to the wait one year before being eligible rule. But then again I’ve already explained why that isn’t happening.
The NCAA did get a few lawsuits, but if you notice the did not fight them. If you think about it, the NCAA is an entity created by contract with the universities. As a contract, like a private company, they can create pretty much any term they want that any private entity could create. It requires for the NCAA legal team to not blink and fight the made up arguments of the lawyers like Tom Mars. Fields was free to transfer because someone made him uncomfortable at UGA. that does not automatically mean that he can play right away. The NCAA can offer a "free year" for a player who has a proven grievance reason to leave a team, other than competitive reason. It dose not follow that they get to play right away. Also, any team that was caught contacting a player on another team who was not in the portal, needs to be subject to serious sanctions (per JF).

Here is how far this has gone.......a player on Texas was entering the portal during this fall, and the ESPN crew were talking like he could show up on another team during the 2021 season!!! Are these guys nuts? No school that I am aware of can take a mid-term transfer academically. Plus how could you event maintain academic standards?

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021

To this end, since players are now pretty much professionals, have them put a little more skin in the game. As soon as you declare, your current scholarship - and all the perks that go with it - becomes null and void. Hell, maybe even incorporate a buy out clause for scholarships. Most of the kids obviously couldn’t pay them, but the receiving school sure could. So they better be damn sure their skills are appropriate to have their new home pay the bills. I’m not suggesting any of this to penalize student athletes…there are obvious situations when transferring is the best option for all parties. Just thinking that maybe a barrier to making it too easy for the wrong reasons might be put in place.

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
To this end, since players are now pretty much professionals, have them put a little more skin in the game. As soon as you declare, your current scholarship - and all the perks that go with it - becomes null and void. Hell, maybe even incorporate a buy out clause for scholarships. Most of the kids obviously couldn’t pay them, but the receiving school sure could. So they better be damn sure their skills are appropriate to have their new home pay the bills. I’m not suggesting any of this to penalize student athletes…there are obvious situations when transferring is the best option for all parties. Just thinking that maybe a barrier to making it too easy for the wrong reasons might be put in place.
Your “You want him, you pick up the tab” idea is intriguing. That would certainly diminish the current volume. The only down side I envision would be players actively covertly testing the transfer market while still on scholarship at their present school. But since it’s already probably more prevalent than we realize, it may not matter.

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
Your “You want him, you pick up the tab” idea is intriguing. That would certainly diminish the current volume. The only down side I envision would be players actively covertly testing the transfer market while still on scholarship at their present school. But since it’s already probably more prevalent than we realize, it may not matter.
You’re correct, and considering the original post stating kids are in the portal for 2 days, it seems they already are pre-testing those waters.

Reactions: Fortheglory612

psuro

Oct 12, 2021

If they made the kids sit for a year then what is the need for the TP?

Reactions: oldpsubear

JoeBot409

Oct 26, 2021
The portal goes both ways, you can lose some you can gain some. Players not seeing the field as much as they like are always going to entertain other offers. If you’re a coach and you are losing more than you are gaining, then you need to take a look in the mirror. You’re the problem.

Nits1989

Oct 29, 2021
I think Franklin is an ethical person and he should call this stuff out.
The portal goes both ways, you can lose some you can gain some. Players not seeing the field as much as they like are always going to entertain other offers. If you’re a coach and you are losing more than you are gaining, then you need to take a look in the mirror. You’re the problem.
By your laughing/crying emoji and your post, you don’t think Franklin is ethical and also think he is failing as a coach?

Last edited:

ps_1294

Oct 12, 2021
Correct me if I am wrong and some of this is speculation. Can not the ”student athlete” initiate contact anytime? Some on here have noted, a player like Randolph has been away from the team for several weeks. So, he or his ”advisors”, may already be in touch with coaches who recruited him hard a couple of years ago. When the athlete declares he’s transferring he has already done a lot of investigation of his final destination. So, in many cases, 2 days, makes sense. The after season transfers probably languish in the system longer.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021

Typical in this age we live. Actions don't seem to have consequences.

psu

Oct 17, 2021
He is a “me first” person first and foremost. That is what I think about him. I won’t bring up that Vandy rape incident.
So you won't bring up that Sandusky thing either, right? Get off your ******* high horse.

Reactions: Bison13

ManassasPSU

Oct 12, 2021
I applaud Franklin for pointing this out. We all know illegal contact in portal goes on just like recruiting. However I wonder if James is pointing this out to give himself another excuse that he is fighting a uneven playing field.