Jay P's best column to date, IMO

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
He's making a lot of assumptions/predictions IMO and I don't agree with all of them. I do like how he conveniently ignores the 'golden' era of college football where the NCAA, universities, and coaches had all the power and money and any change to that model is an assault. Sorry Jay - you (the NCAA, universities, power hungry coaches - including Joe) - did this to yourselves. Enjoy it.
I'd take exception to including Joe in all of this. If I recall correctly he was in favor of giving college players at least some sort of stipend so that they could better participate in off the field college life. Nor do I blame him for his emphasis on academic performance and the importance of leaving school with a college degree.

Sorry EPC. Hadn't read your post before this. Well, we're on the same page. You can tell we go a little further back.

Last edited:

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Sorry, it's not the fans - it's the NCAA who died on their hill of 'amateur' athletics when everyone was making money but the players, and dipsh*t coaches like Dabo who said he'd find another job before he coached paid players. We know the reason for that now - Clemson can't compete in a pay for play landscape and he knew it. Fans on this board are happy with 10 win seasons (which as far as I know, do not get you a trophy of any kind) and pack the stadium to watch it. Fans contributed to very little here IMO....
I see far more fans unhappy with 10 win seasons. And it’s not just at PSU I’m talking about….look at the revolving door that is college football coaching….do you think the fans aren’t the ones driving the bulk of that? The fans getting upset about coaches’ salaries and unrealistic expectations due to those salaries is a huge cause of all the problems.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I'd take exception to including Joe in all of this. If I recall correctly he was in favor of giving college players at least some sort of stipend so that they could better participate in off the field college life. Nor do I blame him for his emphasis on academic performance and the importance of leaving school with a college degree.

Sorry EPC. Hadn't read your post before this. Well, we're on the same page. You can tell we go a little further back.

You don’t coach 40+ years without making some enemies, which we saw first hand.

Reactions: step.eng69