John Smith retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
I wonder if Oklahoma State has an Elite 197 pounder? We need an Elite wrestler to replace Brooks.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
OKST poached Coleman Scott away from North Carolina last year to be coach in waiting. He'll get the job.

And you can forget an idea of OKST kids portaling out over this. Everybody expected Smith to retire this offseason -- otherwise why would they have hired Scott when they did?
Thanks El.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021
Not trying to take anything away from Smith, but I can't imagine what Cael's numbers will look like if he sticks around for 33 years.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021

Timeline seems weird. They interviewed four candidates before the trials and now Taylor two weeks after the trials. What were they doing during that time? Did negotiations with one of the others break down or did it take them that long to get Taylor’s number?

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Timeline seems weird. They interviewed four candidates before the trials and now Taylor two weeks after the trials. What were they doing during that time? Did negotiations with one of the others break down or did it take them that long to get Taylor’s number?
I don't think DT applied, so it could have taken that long to get in touch with him. It may have taken that long for the donar to let OSU know DT will be paid as needed.

Cael wasn't interviewed right away by PSU. He asked twice and donars had to get involved to "promote" him. Even the "no-brainers" are not always obvious to the decision makers.

Last edited:

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021
I have no information but was thinking that maybe Taylor wasn't interested because he was focused on the Olympics. Since he didn't make the team maybe he reached out, maybe they took a chance and reached out to him.

Reactions: SRATH

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
They were doing well in the portal so I assumed "next" was on staff. I am sure John Smith had regular talks with the AD about his plans.......he just seems like a straight up guy.

Taylor not making the Olympics would have me reach out if I was an AD replacing a legend and if I would be taking the call.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I have no information but was thinking that maybe Taylor wasn't interested because he was focused on the Olympics. Since he didn't make the team maybe he reached out, maybe they took a chance and reached out to him.
It’s been two weeks since the trials. If they were interested, why wait two weeks. If they were not interested why not interview other candidates or hire one of the four that they already interviewed?

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Our wrestling Donors who are big BETTER keep DT happy right outside State College at his farm. Very busy with farming, M2 which is very Elite now, and taking care of a family.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Our wrestling Donors who are big BETTER keep DT happy right outside State College at his farm. Very busy with farming, M2 which is very Elite now, and taking care of a family.

C’mon Spice, you forgot to mention his K2Roots juice empire which is either moving or opening a second location. Be Better.

Reactions: Spice67

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021

So far: OKST AD met with Taylor in State College on Thursday. He flew back home without Taylor. There have been no reports of either Taylor flying to Stillwater or receiving an offer.

Unless Askren has been told something privately that has not yet been made public, then he's telling us Taylor has accepted an offer that hasn't been made, within 3 days of his first interview and without a site visit.

gpsu88

Sep 1, 2022
So far: OKST AD met with Taylor in State College on Thursday. He flew back home without Taylor. There have been no reports of either Taylor flying to Stillwater or receiving an offer.

Unless Askren has been told something privately that has not yet been made public, then he's telling us Taylor has accepted an offer that hasn't been made, within 3 days of his first interview and without a site visit.
Do you really think he hasn’t been offered? They came to him, I don’t think it was to do anything other than try and put an offer on the table that they hoped was enough to get him to take the job. Now, is Askren guessing, actually has some info, or just stirring the pot I have no idea.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Do you really think he hasn’t been offered? They came to him, I don’t think it was to do anything other than try and put an offer on the table that they hoped was enough to get him to take the job. Now, is Askren guessing, actually has some info, or just stirring the pot I have no idea.
Not one person or entity has reported that OKST offered Taylor the job. Not Flo, not Willie, not Mineo, not the wrestling reporters in Oklahoma ... nobody.

What conclusion should we draw? Coleman Scott's offer last year was known before he took the job, so it's not like OKST is hermetically sealed.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
I’d be shocked if DT went anywhere, especially out of State. He and his family love Central Pa.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
More programs need to be tapping into the PSU room. They bring the formula with them. If DT bolts it’s for money and good for him and his family. It only means they catapult to #2… no one’s beating Cael for the next ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.