Karl Shindledecker to PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So if I have it correct, he placed 3rd at States as a freshman, DNP as a sophomore, place 2nd at States as a junior, and placed 7th at States as a senior.

His junior year trek at States was interesting. (As a reminder, there were Super Regionals that year, due to COVID, to reduce the numbers at States.) He was wrestling 120 AAA. They started out in Qtrs, and he defeated Gunnar Myers (Wallenpaupack), 4-0. In the semis, he defeated Dante Frinzi (BECCA), 7-2. He faced Mac Church (Waynesburg Central) in the final, and lost a tough decision, 2-1, TB2.

As a senior, he was wrestling 126 AAA. He had a bye in R1. In R2 he MAJored Oliver Fairchild (Easton), 10-0. In the Qtrs., he lost to Maddox Shaw (Thomas Jefferson), 5-0. (Of note, if he had won that match, he would have faced PSU verbal Dalton Perry (Central Mountain) in the semis. Perry went on to place 1st at this weight class in the 2022 competition.) In the Consolation R3, he faced his opponent from the previous year, Gunnar Myers (Wallenpauack), and DEC him 7-0. In the Consolation Qtrs, he faced Braxton Appello-Fries (Nazareth), and lost 4-2 SV. That dropped him to the 7th/8th place match, where he DEC Seamus Mack (Hempfield), 7-0 to take 7th place. So the folks he lost to took home: 3rd place (Maddox Shaw), and 4th place (Braxton Appello-Fries. And his opponent from the 120 final in 2021, Mac Church, took 1st place @ 132 AAA.

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
So, a wrestler who while having lost a few ( already has that behind him ) can hang with the best in the state in his weight class. Lanky, apparently likes to score, and is going to be in the room at a weight where there always seems to be a need for another wrestler. Seems like a potentially solid under the radar pick up for the program.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
IMO if we view him as quality depth, we'll be happy.

He won an unusual number of shutouts, which means he's very good on top -- and possibly more comfortable on top than in trying to score from feet. That only gets you so far in college, but it's a good start.

In the meantime, we have a lot of 125s, and at 133 (after RBY finishes) Evans beat a national qualifier, Davis might end up there, and Cael is looking at other candidates.

Reactions: Tgar

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

He won an unusual number of shutouts, which means he's very good on top -- and possibly more comfortable on top than in trying to score from feet. That only gets you so far in college, but it's a good start.

In the meantime, we have a lot of 125s, and at 133 (after RBY finishes) Evans beat a national qualifier, Davis might end up there, and Cael is looking at other candidates.
Good. Get as many kids as possible at those two weights because, as we know, 125 has been a big issue for a few years.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

I've never seen him in person, and only recall watching a couple of videos of him. I did a good bit of reading about him over the weekend (newspaper articles about his HS matches). From the articles, I get the sense that his true strength is on his feet, that his length can be an advantage on top but that he's not an elite rider, and that he's OK but not exceptional on bottom. @dicemen99 -- have you seen him wrestle, and if so, how would you characterize his wrestling?

3rd, 2nd, and 7th in AAA at PA States is not something to gloss over. You've got to be pretty darn good to accomplish that. Granted, we've gotten a little greedy (so to speak), with so many multiple time PA champs, Cadet medalists, Junior medalists, etc. on the roster. Karl may not be quite at that level, but he looks to be a very good wrestler.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things shake out in future years at 125 and 133, as CS and crew are accumulating a number of strong options at those weights.

Reactions: Tgar

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
I've never seen him in person, and only recall watching a couple of videos of him. I did a good bit of reading about him over the weekend (newspaper articles about his HS matches). From the articles, I get the sense that his true strength is on his feet, that his length can be an advantage on top but that he's not an elite rider, and that he's OK but not exceptional on bottom. @dicemen99 -- have you seen him wrestle, and if so, how would you characterize his wrestling?

3rd, 2nd, and 7th in AAA at PA States is not something to gloss over. You've got to be pretty darn good to accomplish that. Granted, we've gotten a little greedy (so to speak), with so many multiple time PA champs, Cadet medalists, Junior medalists, etc. on the roster. Karl may not be quite at that level, but he looks to be a very good wrestler.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things shake out in future years at 125 and 133, as CS and crew are accumulating a number of strong options at those weights.
I can't tell you much more, he only competed in one out of the three possible years (we were canceled in 2021) he could have at ETR. And he didn't wrestle that well there in 2020. I don't recall seeing him in person.

He's got some pretty good wins over his career and doesn't really have any bad losses - he got knocked out one year in regionals losing to Betancourt and Christie in OT. Seems to wrestle a lot of close matches. Certainly didn't look overmatched against Church in the finals his JR year - he just lost that tactically.

There's probably a reason he's committing at the end of July after his SR year. It could be one of many.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Fencepost

Oct 23, 2021
I was really happy to see this "surprise" commitment (D3!). Some potential unrealized upside and a solid floor, at a minimum a solid training partner but could be an AA on his own. Let's get Desmond to help train Karl!

Latest posts