Kendall Rogers has us as the last host as of this morning

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Hopefully decisions are being made or have been made as Bama hangs on as a Q1 by a thread. I have to think they are not turning down a 16-14 q1 team. Thats so loud. I also cannot imagine they won’t get KPI for the first time and just ignore it. Wouldnt shock me if those were both key factors and we are the Auburn of this year at 12 or 13.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
Hopefully decisions are being made or have been made as Bama hangs on as a Q1 by a thread.

We should be a host.

ECU and Wake Forest are out.

Baseball America has us as a #2 at Dallas Baptist. They were 8-2 vs Q1 (beat Alabama, Oklahoma and Ok St). I have an issue with the #2 team in CUSA that has a SOS of 83 getting the nod over us. I guess we are La Tech fans today just to make sure.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Would also root for FSU today over Duke. Don’t be shocked if the Dookies host if they win the ACC tourney.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Hopefully decisions are being made or have been made as Bama hangs on as a Q1 by a thread. I have to think they are not turning down a 16-14 q1 team. Thats so loud. I also cannot imagine they won’t get KPI for the first time and just ignore it. Wouldnt shock me if those were both key factors and we are the Auburn of this year at 12 or 13.

Cahill wrote an article before the year in which he said about KPI... "specifically will not be a selection criterion for the tournament".

Later in the article regarding the new quadrant criteria he asks the question what does it all mean... "Frankly, very little".

The article is long and filled with words....

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
BA wrote an article before the year where it said about KPI... "specifically will not be a selection criterion for the tournament".

Later in the article regarding the new quadrant criteria they ask the question what does it all mean... "Frankly, very little".

The article is long and filled with words....

When I read that I didnunderstand what purpose KPI serves if it’s not a criterion. That makes no sense. As I joked before “here is some relevant data, but do not use it “

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
When I read that I didnunderstand what purpose KPI serves if it’s not a criterion. That makes no sense. As I joked before “here is some relevant data, but do not use it “
I believe the NCAA is being purposely vague so it can tout some regional diversity on bid day. They don't want to pin themselves down.

Reactions: aTotal360

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
We can get some more help today.
Besides Evansville winning the MVC yesterday, we have former OOC opponents Samford, Jackson State, and Georgia Southern/USM playing for conference titles.
I think we should also be pulling for La Tech over Dallas Baptist today, which could allow USM to become another Q1 win (if they beat GA Southern) for us without Bama falling out. Need someone who's been checking the points to confirm/deny that.

Side note: It's not an unselfish wish, but unless their program suddenly falls off in quality, we should home and home Samford every year like we did Memphis this time. That's the kind of OOC scheduling example that would help prevent the RPI pitfalls we ran into this season.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Besides Evansville winning the MVC yesterday, we have former OOC opponents Samford, Jackson State, and Georgia Southern/USM playing for conference titles.
I think we should also be pulling for La Tech over Dallas Baptist today, which could allow USM to become another Q1 win (if they beat GA Southern) for us without Bama falling out. Need someone who's been checking the points to confirm/deny that.

Side note: It's not an unselfish wish, but unless their program suddenly falls off in quality, we should home and home Samford every year like we did Memphis this time. That's the kind of OOC scheduling example that would help prevent the RPI pitfalls we ran into this season.
Definitely for La Tech bc BA has DB hosting.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If you give it to them, at some level, they will use it. I really think a committee member that wants to do a good job should mostly ignore both RPI & KPI. they’re both garbage.

Reactions: mcdawg22

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agree that we “should” host. But they will give 3-4 regionals to teams that shouldn’t host & we’ll be one of the ones going on the road. Hope I’m wrong.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Anybody got a link to this mystical KPI?

There is no explanation for the ranking. It values margin of victory. It values our win over Evansville as greater than some of our wins over OM and Auburn bc we won by so much. But he values a home win over UNA as better than a 1 run loss to TN. I guess you add up each game for a total KPI number that gets ranked.

Last edited:

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I hope he's right, but it would be a pretty big departure from recent history.

Jan 1, 2024

USM is already a quad 1 win. It was a neutral site game (1-40 RPI). According to Warren Nolan

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
IF the NCAA picks us to host, I don't think they also give us nearly as soft of a regional as that bracket:
  • Normally the weakest hosts get the strongest 2-seeds, and USM is not a particularly strong 2.
  • Nicholls is also a pretty weak 3. They have the profile of a 4, but I guess there are just 16 teams worse than them out there.
  • Yes, Tulane is a relatively strong 4, but it's the 4. If you're worried about the 4, you're not winning the Regional anyway.
  • No other power conference teams in our Regional. Teams who overperform their seeds are usually from power conferences.
  • No team in our regional won their conference regular season championship. Tulane and Nicholls are only going because they had a good weekend at the right time, not a good season all along.
There's no such thing as an "easy regional" but I wouldn't trade our set of 2-3-4 in that bracket for anyone else's. I don't think the selection committee will give such a regional to the #16 seed, especially not one that had an RPI of 24 and they really went out on a limb to give a hosting spot at all. If we host, I would bet on Duke or East Carolina as our 2, and potentially a power conference team as the 3 (especially if the 2 isn't from a power conference).

Or maybe I'm giving the committee too much credit, and they won't put as much thought into it as I am now. We'll see.

Reactions: patdog

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
IF the NCAA picks us to host, I don't think they also give us nearly as soft of a regional as that bracket:
  • Normally the weakest hosts get the strongest 2-seeds, and USM is not a particularly strong 2.
  • Nicholls is also a pretty weak 3. They have the profile of a 4, but I guess there are just 16 teams worse than them out there.
  • Yes, Tulane is a relatively strong 4, but it's the 4. If you're worried about the 4, you're not winning the Regional anyway.
  • No other power conference teams in our Regional. Teams who overperform their seeds are usually from power conferences.
  • No team in our regional won their conference regular season championship. Tulane and Nicholls are only going because they had a good weekend at the right time, not a good season all along.
There's no such thing as an "easy regional" but I wouldn't trade our set of 2-3-4 in that bracket for anyone else's. I don't think the selection committee will give such a regional to the #16 seed, especially not one that had an RPI of 24 and they really went out on a limb to give a hosting spot at all. If we host, I would bet on Duke or East Carolina as our 2, and potentially a power conference team as the 3 (especially if the 2 isn't from a power conference).

Or maybe I'm giving the committee too much credit, and they won't put as much thought into it as I am now. We'll see.
My dream of Chris Pollard or Cliff Godwin coaching at the Dude may finally come true.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

If the mustard buzzards are #2 and sent to the dude, it won't be easy for us. If usm is #2 and shipped to Terre haute, yes, they will roll over.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
If the mustard buzzards are #2 and sent to the dude, it won't be easy for us. If usm is #2 and shipped to Terre haute, yes, they will roll over.
I would give half of my left nut to be shipped to Terra Haute to play a team that we’ve already beaten in a weekend series this year. They’ll put us in Starkville (not ideal) or Tallahassee, which I wouldn’t mind, as I think we could win that regional.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Yeah. That regional would be like winning the lottery 3 times in a row. First to host, then a weak #2, then a weak #3.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
As bad as I dislike both of them, I think LSU run-ruling UT might move UT off the 1 line. But I have no idea who would replace them that is lined up behind them. So they could get run-rules and stay #1 in the current RPI metriculation calculation