Kirby pulling out all the stops

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
It’s pretty bad for a grown man, and a head coach, to single out a player who obviously didn’t say anything bad or call anyone out. The name Georgia or anything related to Georgia literally didn’t come out of his mouth.

Just find it hard to believe that a grown man feels this kind of behavior is acceptable. He’s making a false accusation to his team by naming Tonka. Honestly, Kirby should apologize to Tonka for this. This is extremely childish.

Perhaps he didn’t think it through since it was in response to a question. But just odd.

Last edited:

Big JC

May 12, 2023
He uses everything for motivation. Last year Eric Ainge said Georgia wasn't a loud place to play before the UT game. After the game the UT fans said the noise caused their 5 or 6 false start penalties. Like him or not, Kirby never misses an opportunity to motivate the team or the crowd.

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
He uses everything for motivation. Last year Eric Ainge said Georgia wasn't a loud place to play before the UT game. After the game the UT fans said the noise caused their 5 or 6 false start penalties. Like him or not, Kirby never misses an opportunity to motivate the team or the crowd.

Truth be told I think their fans are too dumb to think for themselves and know this is a bunch of crap.

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Does that mean he’s a good coach?

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
I have been to both places multiple times and hate the vols more then dawgs but I agree with Tonka, Tenn is louder, just is.

I hope Kirby doesn't see this message and talk about it to fire up his fans.

• Haha
Reactions: 92Pony and Johncock

Stardust710

Jul 21, 2023
@Yard_Pimps another example.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
I have been to both places multiple times and hate the vols more then dawgs but I agree with Tonka, Tenn is louder, just is.

I hope Kirby doesn't see this message and talk about it to fire up his fans.
Also have to take into account the game. Every stadium in America has games where it is louder than other games. I’ve been to places where I didn’t think it was loud, only to return a few trips later and be blown away because it was a great game.

Reactions: Gradstudent

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
What a nothing burger. The Georgia players must have IQs of ants if that motivates them

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
What a nothing burger. The Georgia players must have IQs of ants if that motivates them

It seems dumb, but all coaches use the disrespect angle. Deion is using it to perfection at CU. A few years ago Dabo quipped something like "nobody thinks we can win it all" when literally everyone thought they could win it all. Spurrier regularly disrespected his own players to motivate them "Ahhh, we're not a very good team". This one by Kirby is a stretch, but most of the bulletin board material out there is.

Beehaver

Garnet Trust Supporter
Jul 8, 2023
Have never liked Kirby. Am glad he is not our coach. I dislike everything about him .

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Funny thing is, nobody in the media is pointing out the not-so-minor fact that nothing Tonka said was, in fact, a snub of UGA. All are just reporting "Smart responds to Gamecock 'calling out' UGA fans" so fans will read the headline and assume it's true.

Reactions: will110

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
This had to be a staged question. I mean, we all love Tonka. But who in the media was paying that much attention to what he was saying at SEC media days 2 months ago?? And as many have point out, he didn't say anything about UGA. He just didn't mention them. It was an otherwise very un-noteworthy comment. Zero chance an actual media person heard that and said "oooh, that's juicy. I'm gonna sit on this for 2 months then ask Kirbs about it". Ultimate beta move. Reminds me of the Dabo rant. Beamer should hit him with a "Smart people don't believe everything they read. I guess Kirby believed it."

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This had to be a staged question. I mean, we all love Tonka. But who in the media was paying that much attention to what he was saying at SEC media days 2 months ago?? And as many have point out, he didn't say anything about UGA. He just didn't mention them. It was an otherwise very un-noteworthy comment. Zero chance an actual media person heard that and said "oooh, that's juicy. I'm gonna sit on this for 2 months then ask Kirbs about it". Ultimate beta move. Reminds me of the Dabo rant. Beamer should hit him with a "Smart people don't believe everything they read. I guess Kirby believed it."

haha, true. I can't imagine media was buzzing around Tonka's presence at SEC Media Days. It's not like this was a game week question. Honestly, I could not have even told you which of our players went to SEC Media Days if you asked me. I knew at the time but have long since forgotten. People really only care about what the coaches say.

I dunno. I just chalk it up to everyone looking for an edge. Most of the time in sports, that comes from imagined disrespect. Athletes are able to psyche themselves into believing something that's 100% fabricated for the sake of getting mentally worked up for a game. No disrespect to our guys, but it's not like UGA needed an edge in this game.

That aside. every stadium can't be the loudest. A host of SEC teams claim their stadium is the loudest.

Reactions: vacock

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Yeah, I imagine Kirby went back and looked at the media days tape and found Tonka's comment about the loudest stadiums and figured he could spin it to him saying Athens wasn't a loud stadium. He took the opportunity to try and fire up the fans.

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Yeah, I imagine Kirby went back and looked at the media days tape and found Tonka's comment about the loudest stadiums and figured he could spin it to him saying Athens wasn't a loud stadium. He took the opportunity to try and fire up the fans.
In other words, he lied.

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
All the player and coach talk is certainly amusing. Hopefully, they won't start quoting the inebriated, obscene fans sitting in the stands.

Latest posts