Kirby Smart gets it.

Blair10

Nov 14, 2021
There is nothing to get. Whining is useless.

The best available option is to eliminate non CFP bowls since they are just relics of the past and glorified scrimmages for developing returning players for the next season.

Time to move on.

Reactions: haveyoumethoward

BUFFALO LION

Oct 7, 2021
There is nothing to get. Whining is useless.

The best available option is to eliminate non CFP bowls since they are just relics of the past and glorified scrimmages for developing returning players for the next season.

Time to move on.

It’s “time to move on” WITHOUT non-CFP “Bowls”.. The legal system has destroyed them and will continue to destroy them. So there’s just no sense playing them anymore.

And don’t tell me they are rewards to the “players” for a good season. The “players” now are getting cold hard cash. It’s obvious that the guys that got a team to whatever meaningless Bowl they’re playing in are more concerned about the cash. Not their teammates. So why waste everyone’s time and safety? If the guys that got a team to some meaningless Bowl don’t give a ****, why should anyone else. Remember. “Player safety” 😂😂😂.

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
Yep the media and money have poisoned the greatness of the bowl season unless we all just think of it as the playoff for the 12 who make it, and the first spring game for those who don't.

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
It’s “time to move on” WITHOUT non-CFP “Bowls”.. The legal system has destroyed them and will continue to destroy them. So there’s just no sense playing them anymore.

And don’t tell me they are rewards to the “players” for a good season. The “players” now are getting cold hard cash. It’s obvious that the guys that got a team to whatever meaningless Bowl they’re playing in are more concerned about the cash. Not their teammates. So why waste everyone’s time and safety? If the guys that got a team to some meaningless Bowl don’t give a ****, why should anyone else. Remember. “Player safety” 😂😂😂.
Yeah I recently thought that but these bowls do offer fans glimpses of the younger kids, against somebody other than their teammates. Its just we have generations of memories when bowls mattered. Don't think for a moment that we watched bowls in the past where kids wished they could have opted out. We would have seen Shane Conlan earlier if some of the upper classman could have done so.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
It’s all about the money and as long as people attend the games and watch them, the non CFP games will continue. The networks need content, the hotels need occupancy, etc.

I have long said that the polls should be frozen for the teams not chosen for the CFP so that for this year, starting at 5 through 25, the final results were the results for the last in season poll. You rank 1-4 after the CFP games so that #1 and #2 are easy and the CFP committe’s sole task was ranking final 3-4 teams.

If people want to continue to attend the games and the networks to cover them, the non CFP games are scrimmages to give outgoing players who opt in a chance to showcase their skills and younger players a chance to start the next season in a competitive scrimmage. They become glorified Blue v.Whatever color games.

The toothpaste is out of the tube and what we’ve seen will only continue and accelerate. The next Saban will be the coach who best manages the portal and who best positions himself as the coach who best offers the 4 and 5 star players the opportunity to showcase their talents whether it be for 1,2, or 3 years. That coach will understand that the typical development over a 3-5 year process isn’t as desirable as a coach who utilizes and showcases player talent for the current season.

CFB is dead as it has existed. To me, the winds of change started with Justin Fields who transferred to OSU without penalty. This opened the system that morphed into the portal. NIL poured gasoline onto the fire and burned the house down.

Oct 12, 2021
It’s all about the money and as long as people attend the games and watch them, the non CFP games will continue. The networks need content, the hotels need occupancy, etc.

I have long said that the polls should be frozen for the teams not chosen for the CFP so that for this year, starting at 5 through 25, the final results were the results for the last in season poll. You rank 1-4 after the CFP games so that #1 and #2 are easy and the CFP committe’s sole task was ranking final 3-4 teams.

If people want to continue to attend the games and the networks to cover them, the non CFP games are scrimmages to give outgoing players who opt in a chance to showcase their skills and younger players a chance to start the next season in a competitive scrimmage. They become glorified Blue v.Whatever color games.

The toothpaste is out of the tube and what we’ve seen will only continue and accelerate. The next Saban will be the coach who best manages the portal and who best positions himself as the coach who best offers the 4 and 5 star players the opportunity to showcase their talents whether it be for 1,2, or 3 years. That coach will understand that the typical development over a 3-5 year process isn’t as desirable as a coach who utilizes and showcases player talent for the current season.

CFB is dead as it has existed. To me, the winds of change started with Justin Fields who transferred to OSU without penalty. This opened the system that morphed into the portal. NIL poured gasoline onto the fire and burned the house down.

^THIS^

Reactions: Classof09

Madsol

Oct 6, 2021

Hard to argue with much of what you write here. It may not be immediate, but interest in non-CFP games will have to wane if the current opt out trend continues. How long will people pay good money to travel to see their team when it's only a shell of the team they followed all year?

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
Kiffin picked up 25 portal players before this year, and has another 12 signed up for 2024. At a quick glance most of them appeared to be pretty good starters primarily on the D side of the ball. Franklin needs to be able to get more oomph from the portal. Hopefully Andy excites some players with his brand of ball. And don't forget to pony up your NIL dollars. Maybe Sheetz and Wawa can let you round up your purchase to the next dollar for the cause

Reactions: Charlie1978

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021

For sure. In 1983 Penn State went 7-4-1 in the regular season. We beat Washington in the Aloha Bowl (which no longer exists). I recall many people felt our record wasn't good enough to be bowl worthy. Back then a bowl really was considered to be a reward. Hawaii in December?? Not too bad. By my count, there were 18 bowl games back then, six of which have since folded. The current 40+ bowls simply don't convey the same sense of accomplishment. I'd bet many of the players on non-CFP teams would be happy to call it a season after Thanksgiving weekend.

Last edited:

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
ESPN, which basically purchased the bowl system so it could have live programming on weekdays in late December.
Yep, it saddens me to think of the damage the @$$hole farm has done to college football. Their pregame show is now unwatchable with the Meatchicken moron, the human corpso and that biker dude. True college fans are better off getting their wife drunk for real insight to the games.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Hard to argue with much of what you write here. It may not be immediate, but interest in non-CFP games will have to wane if the current opt out trend continues. How long will people pay good money to travel to see their team when it's only a shell of the team they followed all year?
💯. We are a strong and stubborn breed but at some point opinions will change. Here is a litmus test. Were you happy Ohio State lost? During the season if Ohio State loses, it’s like Christmas. Missouri beating them didn’t mean jack squat. That’s when you know something is different when the joy of Ohio St losing doesn’t register. That wasn’t the Buckeyes we love to hate on that field.

Madsol

Oct 6, 2021
💯. We are a strong and stubborn breed but at some point opinions will change. Here is a litmus test. Were you happy Ohio State lost? During the season if Ohio State loses, it’s like Christmas. Missouri beating them didn’t mean jack squat. That’s when you know something is different when the joy of Ohio St losing doesn’t register. That wasn’t the Buckeyes we love to hate on that field.
Oh my word, yes! I actually found myself rooting for OSU the other night. I almost feel dirty typing that but that wasn't a fair fight. It felt so weird but you nailed it here!

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021

From what I can see of stadiums on TV, many already don’t go. It’s TV money that keeps them going.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022

^THIS^
Since the CFP the polls don't matter at all after the top 4 (Top 12 next yr). Next year don't even rank 13-25. It should just be top 12 and others receiving consideration.

Last edited:

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
From what I can see of stadiums on TV, many already don’t go. It’s TV money that keeps them going.
And many of the bowls had no tv viewership either. Yet they keep churning them out.

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
Not sure what the answer is but when it all comes crashing down those who will suffer the most are the same people who advocated for these changes.

Trust me, it will come crashing down, it’s only a matter of time. Some say, the tipping point for Mike Krzyzewski decision to retire was when Jalen Johnson basically quit on him and the team to prepare for the NBA. How long before players sit out the final 3 or 4 games of a season, how long before players sit out of playoff games? What happens when a NC game has 2nd and 3rd string players starting?

Reactions: haveyoumethoward

ChandlerPearce

Jan 23, 2022
While i agree with you....problem is deposits and purchase of tickets and hotels is done before any opt-outs are announced. I do not feel all bowls outside CFP will die as many people will still want to cheer their school....but the costs hopefully reduce.

Reactions: Madsol

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

Since the CFP the polls don't matter at all after the top 4 (Top 12 next yr). Next year don't even rank 13-25. It should just be top 12 and others receiving consideration.
ESPN owns outright almost half of the bowls (17 at last count). They stage them, as another poster suggested, to provide content. They've done the math and, net-net, they make more from doing this than they do when the hours are devoted to talking heads.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Not sure what the answer is but when it all comes crashing down those who will suffer the most are the same people who advocated for these changes.

Trust me, it will come crashing down, it’s only a matter of time. Some say, the tipping point for Mike Krzyzewski decision to retire was when Jalen Johnson basically quit on him and the team to prepare for the NBA. How long before players sit out the final 3 or 4 games of a season, how long before players sit out of playoff games? What happens when a NC game has 2nd and 3rd string players starting?
To some extent, it has kind of already happened. Micah opted out of the COVID year, content that his draft slotting was already secured. He made the measured decision that the downside of not playing exceeded the upside of playing. I think the next big thing is if the NFL would change their rules on drafting. I don’t think it’s advisable for 18 year old kids to get hit by the equivalent of speeding cars but if given the right talent and physical maturity, I could see at least some kids being high picks before their class can be drafted. Someone like Hershel Walker could have gone earlier.

I am with you, no idea where this winds up but CFB as I knew it is over.

Last edited:

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021

Not sure what people think will happen when you give all the power to a bunch of 18-22 year old kids. There has to be rules to protect them from themselves.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
ESPN owns outright almost half of the bowls (17 at last count). They stage them, as another poster suggested, to provide content. They've done the math and, net-net, they make more from doing this than they do when the hours are devoted to talking heads.
plus all these extra games means more pre-game shows dedicated to promoting Michigan.

• Haha
Reactions: Waaaaaaaany

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021

Very spot on ,but I'll add Russell Wilson opened the door with his Grad Transfer , Fields made it a free for all.

You are right about the polls start 2024 where you finished in 2023, avoiding the ND # 7 to start the season or Syracuse # 12 with their weak schedule .

It's just chaos and mercenary bidding.

haveyoumethoward

Nov 16, 2021

My sentiments exactly. When the TV monies end or plummet then the non-playoff bowls will end too. Declining attendance and viewership will precipitate this when many players express no interest in the games. Don't know how soon this will happen but it seems inevitable to me. After the fiasco of opt-outs this year, I won't be tuning in next year. I mean, what's to prevent star players from demanding a huge bonus check to play in a playoff game? There are many twists and turns to come that could make college football uglier than sin. Frankly, I can do without those meaningless games.

Reactions: psu31trap

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Not sure what people think will happen when you give all the power to a bunch of 18-22 year old kids. There has to be rules to protect them from themselves.
I agree. There are very few that I would not have cringed at leaving before the end of year 3 - Hershel, Bo, and Marcus Dupree. Maurice Clarett was a different kind of situation.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
As long as they can sell commercial time to the beer companies they will continue to promote the bowl games.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
As long as they can sell commercial time to the beer companies they will continue to promote the bowl games.
would be interested in the opinion of anyone who works it the ad industry. they sell the ads to the broadcasters who want the "product" from say the BIG. how does this work? is the BIG product for all sports or just football?

how can the value keep escalating when consumer product is not growing like that?