Let's talk St Louis

Anodyne

Senior
Mar 29, 2004
8,857
745
0
I live 90 minutes north of STL, so I'm in town at least once a month, seeking respite from the corn- and soy-encircled. pleated-khaki, unseasoned carb-heavy, capital of the Land of Lincoln. I'm slowly becoming familiar with STL and environs, beyond the casual visitor's level and the route to the airport and/or Trader Joe's. Mostly I seek off-the-beaten track food and beverage options.

Beer: in the city and county, been to Urban Chestnut-Grove (awesome), Civil Life (very good), Square One (meh), Side Project (great sours, weird space and clientele), Alpha (excellent, mostly); environs: Old Bakery in Alton (very good), Ferguson Brewing (OK). I plan to work my way down the list. Help me prioritize.

Food: tried two ramen places but seek better (one in Ballwin, but Midtown is the best so far, and enjoyable as long as I forget about comparing it to options in Chicago--which seems a good rule of thumb for appreciating STL)
-need a reliable taqueria
-Vietnamese: the one that all the whities like in Tower Grove is OK, Kim Ngan south of there was a notch above, but I still seek funky pho
-Chinese: especially dim sum, Lu Lu in Clayton was usable
-Bosnian: what's the best? I'm more of a Serbian cevap guy, but will go with the Bosnians in a pinch, and STL is one of the Bosnian capitals of the US
-Hipster farm-to-table, probably something with "&" in the name
-Coffee shop: require excellent beans, comfortable chairs at a normal table, reliable wifi, tolerable clientele--for days when I want to camp out and do some work. So far, 222 Bakery in Edwardsville wins but I need variety

Any tips to fill out my list?
 

Orange Jennyslipper

All-Conference
Jan 4, 2005
9,673
2,021
0
With wrestling Nationals returning to St. Louie, I'm all ears. Tournament schedule doesn't leave much time for experimentation or driving too far from west downtown. We always say, "We need to come back and spend a week with nothing to do but explore." Never happens.

We're always open to off-the-beaten track ethnic food, but can take or leave the beer.
 
O State Illustrated

Latest

  1. 01 O State Illustrated Football OSI Breakdown Week 4 | Cowboys vs. Mountaineers
  2. 02 On3 Football Big 12 names Football Players of the Week after Week 4
  3. 03 O State Illustrated Football Takeaways from Oklahoma State’s 41-24 win over West Virginia
  4. 04 O State Illustrated Football Oklahoma State rolls West Virginia 41-24, win third straight
  5. 05 O State Illustrated Football OSI Staff Picks: Cowboys at Mountaineers