Lilledahl to PSU

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Boom! I love it. Cael bringing in a large portion of the U17 world team that won gold in Rome. These are all kids with lofty goals and high end talent.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Lilledahl, Davis, Gibson, Nasdeo, and Wentzel. I’d say Cael is addressing the lightweights. Not sure how this all shakes out down the road, but I’d still like to see Nate Desmond in Blue and White.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
This is a verbal that certainly gets a fan's attention. As @El_Jefe has mentioned in prior posts (not this thread; prior posts about Lilledahl), Luke really has been pretty quiet about his recruitment. He could have gone pretty much anywhere he wanted, so all fans could do is sit back and see what he decided to do.

He wasn't a PSU verbal during his HS postseason, so I didn't track his results in the pinned posts about tracking verbals in their postseason. Here's how he did at National Preps:

R1 - bye
R2 - TFed Zac Glory (Gilman School), 17-2, @ 2:54
R3 - MAJored Charlie DeSena (Lake Highland Prep), 20-6
R4 (Quarters) - DEC over Sulayman Bah (Kiski School), 5-4
R5 (Semis) - FALL over Joseph Calvin (Father Ryan HS), @ 1:44
Finals - DEC over Leo DeLuca (Blair Academy), 5-2

In the entire championship, he did not give up a TD or a REV. All of the points scored against him were ESC, with the exception of a stall point in the Quarters, with 11 sec left in the match.

Last edited:

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
Bassett isn’t Class of 2024.
Think Bassett beat him in a real close match. Both Studs. Hope this has no barring on Bassett. Think he’s 133 or 141 after red shirt. Will see. Love wrestling recruiting.

Reactions: LB99

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Think Bassett beat him in a real close match. Both Studs. Hope this has no barring on Bassett. Think he’s 133 or 141 after red shirt. Will see. Love wrestling recruiting.
Yes, he did. He may have also lost to Knox at some point, but we are talking top level competition here. No shame in losing to those guys. The kid doesn’t shy away from any tournament. We will see what weight he wrestles next year. That will probably be a better indicator of what college weight we can predict him at. My guess is 125 is the goal for him from PSU’s perspective, but time will tell. I think these kids are looking at the big picture here. They are looking at International competition wrestling and want the best place to train for that. NLWC is the top option right now. Bassett is the Class of 2026. A lot can happen between now and then. I don’t think it affects his recruitment much. Plus, Bassett won’t be deterred from committing to a roster that has a lot of talent already.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Lilledahl is Class of 2024 (i.e., he's currently a junior in HS). Bassett is Class of 2026 (i.e., he's currently a freshman in HS).

It's not even worth the time and energy to worry about what impact a verbal by a Class of 2024 prospect will have on a Class of 2026 prospect. Nobody can tell you with any degree of accuracy or certainty what either of them will weigh in college.

Like Lilledahl, Bassett will be a take anywhere he wants to go.

Last edited:

Gronky

Nov 10, 2021
Now I know what it feels like to be an Alabama or Georgia football fan! An abundance of riches that often leave competing programs/fans wondering wtf?!?! Haha 🤣🤣

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
The 2024 class now appears to be one of the best ever. Question-who is next at heavyweight (285)? thanks

Reactions: KMAC41

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The 2024 class now appears to be one of the best ever.

Only time will tell.

Flo updated their 2024 recruiting class rankings on 4/13, and PSU's class does look pretty impressive on its own, and also in comparison to their main competitors. (Though in wrestling, it's not uncommon for schools to go in big in different years, depending on how their respective rosters are constructed.)

pabison

Dec 11, 2021
Only time will tell.

Flo updated their 2024 recruiting class rankings on 4/13, and PSU's class does look pretty impressive on its own, and also in comparison to their main competitors. (Though in wrestling, it's not uncommon for schools to go in big in different years, depending on how their respective rosters are constructed.)

Iowa isn’t even on the list. The gap continues to widen (or maybe they become transfer central???)

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
Iowa isn’t even on the list. The gap continues to widen (or maybe they become transfer central???)
Most elite’s see Iowa wrestlers don’t develop over time. Not even in the same conversation when comparing to PSU.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Most elite’s see Iowa wrestlers don’t develop over time. Not even in the same conversation when comparing to PSU.
I tend to agree here, even though they seem to still see themselves as the 1980s version of themselves. I don’t think they take a serious evaluation of themselves very often.

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
Lilledahl, Davis, Gibson, Nasdeo, and Wentzel. I’d say Cael is addressing the lightweights. Not sure how this all shakes out down the road, but I’d still like to see Nate Desmond in Blue and White.
Agree. Nate Desmond would be a huge pickup. Go get ‘em Coach Cael $$$$