Man, I'm Gonna Miss Not Having A Regional At The Dude (For The 2nd Consecutive Year)

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The best sporting event one can attend, short of Omaha. I searched but didn't find a list of schools that have hosted the most regionals, but I'd think we'd be up there (we're tied at 11th for most CWS appearances).

I don't know if keeping Lem is the right decision (history will prove that out), but hosting next year should be the standard for him returning in 2025.

I've read differing accounts of how much Skeens got at LSU ($200-500k), but had we signed him, we'd be hosting. Coaching is important, but the Jimmys and Joes win championships.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The best sporting event one can attend, short of Omaha. I searched but didn't find a list of schools that have hosted the most regionals, but I'd think we'd be up there (we're tied at 11th for most CWS appearances).

I don't know if keeping Lem is the right decision (history will prove that out), but hosting next year should be the standard for him returning in 2025.

I've read differing accounts of how much Skeens got at LSU ($200-500k), but had we signed him, we'd be hosting. Coaching is important, but the Jimmys and Joes win championships.
Skenes is unicorn and there isn’t gonna be one every year. He is possibly the best pitcher in the history of CBB all things considered. And if the plan is to go recruit the one great pitcher out of the portal that every other team wants then that’s a bad plan regardless of NIL.

The portal last year was not a magic pill for staffs after him. The next two best guys after him were Waldrep and Watts Brown. While they would have helped us they were not Friday guys. And again everyone wants them. We are going to have to rebuild this with Evals and development and culture.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Skenes is unicorn and there isn’t gonna be one every year. He is possibly the best pitcher in the history of CBB all things considered. And if the plan is to go recruit the one great pitcher out of the portal that every other team wants then that’s a bad plan regardless of NIL.

The portal last year was not a magic pill for staffs after him. The next two best guys after him were Waldrep and Watts Brown. While they would have helped us they were not Friday guys. And again everyone wants them. We are going to have to rebuild this with Evals and development and culture.
I agree, but he wanted $325k and we only offered $300k, that would sting (I have no idea of the actual numbers involved). Kind of like missing out on Cam.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023

Pin this response. 100% accurate. Skenes is a generational type hurler, ala Strasburg was. Waldrep obviously the next in line which would have been an amazing get for us too obviously(top 15 draft pick for him also). But thats probably a red herring situation for portal transfers most any year. And like he said, everyone wants those guys and can probably pony up more $$$ than we ever can. We can only hope to pilfer the next Bednar from the portal.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Pin this response. 100% accurate. Skenes is a generational type hurler, ala Strasburg was. Waldrep obviously the next in line which would have been an amazing get for us too obviously(top 15 draft pick for him also). But thats probably a red herring situation for portal transfers most any year. And like he said, everyone wants those guys and can probably pony up more $$$ than we ever can. We can only hope to pilfer the next Bednar from the portal.
Uh, that's why I specifically posted that we needed to get Skeens last year, everyone knew he was can't miss. He's the kind of talent you overpay for. He's the difference between not making the SEC tourney and hosting. I'm not advocating we go out and overpay for every free agent.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It really stung last night when realized we weren't in that playoff bracket in one of our usual spots while almost all the SEC is. It doesn't help knowing I won't see our name in there anytime soon.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
They lost 2 out of three to the second worst team in the SEC playing at home. Unless they fix what problem, they are having they will have a short post season.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Get used to it. It's probably going to be a few more years before we host again.