Mater Dei HC fired

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Mater Dei has been a state powerhouse for decades.

"For 34 seasons the program was led by Bruce Rollinson, who established himself as one of the top coaches in high school football.

Frank McManus was an assistant under Rollinson and was elevated to the head coaching role after Rollinson announced that he was stepping away.

In just one season leading the program, McManus led the Monarchs to the CIF Southern Section Division I title and CIF State Open Division title, going 13-1 on the year.

Their lone loss came against fellow powerhouse St. John Bosco. Mater Dei avenged that loss by beating Bosco in the CIF Southern Section title game.

But a 13-win season and adding hardware to the trophy case wasn't enough to get a second season.

After one standout season, even by the high standards set at Mater Dei, the school has made the controversial decision to dismiss McManus."

Any locals or Mater Dei alums care to address? This doesn't seem to make sense.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Mater Dei has been a state powerhouse for decades.

"For 34 seasons the program was led by Bruce Rollinson, who established himself as one of the top coaches in high school football.

Frank McManus was an assistant under Rollinson and was elevated to the head coaching role after Rollinson announced that he was stepping away.

In just one season leading the program, McManus led the Monarchs to the CIF Southern Section Division I title and CIF State Open Division title, going 13-1 on the year.

Their lone loss came against fellow powerhouse St. John Bosco. Mater Dei avenged that loss by beating Bosco in the CIF Southern Section title game.

But a 13-win season and adding hardware to the trophy case wasn't enough to get a second season.

After one standout season, even by the high standards set at Mater Dei, the school has made the controversial decision to dismiss McManus."

Any locals or Mater Dei alums care to address? This doesn't seem to make sense.
I’m gonna wait till the dust clears..

I’m hearing a former Trojan/MDHS player may be next in line.. but I’m not an insider, so?

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Holy Toledo. Dang, must be something pretty bad? C.McManus was a long time (16 yrs) as defense AC. He was part of some of the nation's best D and many of his players went on to D-1 schools.

Thanxs Veebs for da post. Veebs and Pudly, please post any social media updates & juicy news.

Oh Pudly, who is gonna be MD's QB1 for da 2024 FB season? I do not think there were any top QB's behind E.Brown last year, no? I think MD must get a high profile and top QB via transfer?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Merlin4SC

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Must be something that has not been made public.
The performance of the team certainly is not the reason.
I'm seeing dumb things like he dressed too casually compared to Rollinson, he criticized the players too much, and oh, he cussed at some young players. That's all nonsense. There has to be something more. He won the freaking state championship, lost only 1 game all season.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I'm seeing dumb things like he dressed too casually compared to Rollinson, he criticized the players too much, and oh, he cussed at some young players. That's all nonsense. There has to be something more. He won the freaking state championship, lost only 1 game all season.
Technically, his contract wasn’t renewed. Either by his choice or the school’s, someone decided to move on.

Reactions: Canyon.usc

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Veebs, just read something. MD's new president and AD put forth an investigation due to hazing problems under HC.Rollo. Maybe the findings pins some of the blame on C.McManus? I'm thinking for them to fire C.McManus must be pretty serious stuff...

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Bruddah Pudly, who is gonna be MD's QB1 for da 2024 FB season? I do not think there were any top QB's behind E.Brown last year, no? I think MD must get a high profile and top QB via transfer?

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
They were outclassed that first SJB game. But there’s more.
Bruddah gotta defend dat 1st game loss 0-28. For what eva da reasons MD's players came out flat as heck. In their rematch & SS CIF championship finals game, MD came out fired up, Eye of da Tiger and busted up SJB, 35-7. Heck, dat lone SJB TD = miracle catch in da end zone, otherwise it would have been 35-0.

Then in da State Championship game, MD crushed Serra-San Jose 35-0, even getting 16 flags = 150 yds penalties. And yet, Serra could not score on MD. In my mind, Mater Dei without question was Calif best and top team. It would have been ideal if MD played Bishop Gorman two weeks after the State Championship. Dat would have been da top game of 2023...

Last edited:

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Bruddah gotta defend dat 1st game loss 0-28. For what eva da reasons MD's players came out flat as heck. In da CIF finals, MD came out fired up with full of emotion and busted up SJB, 35-7. Heck, dat lone SJB came under dat miracle catch in da end zone, otherwise it would have been 35-0.

Then, in da State Championship, crushed Serra-San Jose 35-0, even getting 16 flags = 150 yds penalties. And yet Serra could not score on MD.
He definitely did not get let go because of the play on the field.
They were dominant and best team in the country.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Technically, his contract wasn’t renewed. Either by his choice or the school’s, someone decided to move on.
The wording can be construed either way.....

According to Sondehimer, who has covered the Monarch's meteoric rise over the years, McManus was taking heat because of "not playing backups enough in games."

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
The wording can be construed either way.....

According to Sondehimer, who has covered the Monarch's meteoric rise over the years, McManus was taking heat because of "not playing backups enough in games."

Wtf. Is MD pop Warner? That does not sound like a legit reason.
And something easily addressed the next season.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
He definitely did not get let go because of the play on the field.
They were dominant and best team in the country.
Bruddah SouthbayTrojan, No, Bishop Gorman was a Monster in 2023. BG went undefeated & played 4 high ranked national teams. BG ended up #1 in da final rankings. But, they were in a very weak league and in the Nevada playoffs had little competition. BG played 12 games, 4 top 15 teams but 8 weak to average teams.

Geeze, nothing like what the SS CIF D-1 playoff teams consisted of, plus the Trinity league is no doubt the tuffest and top league in da nation. Shoot, MD played 14 games (2 more than BG), had to go thru top ranked teams every week to win the SS CIF D-1 & State titles. On da other hand, BG had a cake walk in their State playoff tournament.

It would have been great if Mater Dei and Bishop Gorman played in one final game to determine who was da true #1 team in nation. BG had the best O and MD had da best D, now with dat it would have been one kick arss game for da ages...

Note: I did not see BG play, but after viewing their game results/stats dis is how I saw both teams. In my personal ratings 1-10 with 10 being best.

Bishop Gorman: offense 10+, defense 7. Yeah, da other top teams scored on BG's D.
Mater Dei: offense 8, defense 10+. Yeah, MD's O struggled in several games, but da D dominated & demolished opponents.

Final thought, both teams were so dam good and pretty much even. Da team dat came out fired up, in da best condition, played very physical, no turnovers & little penalties would have pulled out da win...

Last edited:

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Bruddah Pudly, who is gonna be MD's QB1 for da 2024 FB season? I do not think there were any top QB's behind E.Brown last year, no? I think MD must get a high profile and top QB to transfer in?
was a 3 yr starter at Chaparral HS.. did well at elite11

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
was a 3 yr starter at Chaparral HS.. did well at elite11

Thanxs Bruddah Pudly. Like his name, very catchy. Very good and Shaka🤙 MD got a very good QB for da 2024 season. Yeah, they needed one from the TP department. MD did not have any decent reserves to speak of. Chaparral HS, Temecula, Ca has had very good teams in da past. The 2023 season = 7-4 record, da 4 losses were to top ranked teams.

Hopefully, Dash Beierly is an A+ field general and poised QB cause the type of competition he's gonna face at MD is nothing like any of the teams Chaparral has faced. Looks like DB had pretty good stats at Chaparral HS. Hope he has a kick arss season and run da O like a well oiled machine. OK, can't wait to see MD 1st game in August, I will focus on him. Hele On!

Important note: Man, he had better not get injured, I do not think MD has any decent backup QB's?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pudly76

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017

Dang dat's low cussing out 8th graders. But, I do not think it's enough to get fired, unless he had warnings and was reprimanded before. Hell, he is a long time, experienced coach, so there's no excuse for him losing his temper like dat.

I remember watching legendary C.Harry Welch, Canyon Country coach his teams at practice and at games. I never eva saw him cussed out his players. He was always under self control. He would clap his hands and say "Come on we can do better, pick it up". When a player made a mistake, he would softly tap their helmet and gave them encouragement. C.Welch was a tuff minded coach but he coached his players thru encouragment, calmness & self control. His players loved and respected him. Even though C.Welch was a gentle person, his practices were brutal and hard. He believed FB conditioning was paramount. C.Welch pushed his teams very hard physically and mentally. It's no wonder Canyon Country HS won so many CIF and State championships.

The great C.Bob Ladouceur, De La Salle HS, Concord coached da same way as C.Welch. C.Ladouceur never cuss out any of his players. C.Ladouceur believed FB coditioning was key to FB as well. Both C.Ladouceur and C.Welch are two of Calif greatest FB coaches. And, both are devout Catholics.

Other HC dat were calm and collected on da sidelines: C.Bruce Rollinson-Mater Dei, Matt Logan-Centennial, Jon Ellinghouse-Sierra Canyon. Jason Negro-SJB is 1/2 & 1/2, seen him get hot and emotional at times.

Last edited:

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Dang dat's low cussing out 8th graders. But, I do not think it's enough to get fired, unless he had warnings and was reprimanded before. Hell, he is a long time. experienced coach, so there's no excuse for him losing his temper like dat.

I remember watching legendary C.Harry Welch, Canyon Country coach his teams at practice and at games. I never eva saw him cussed out his players. He was always under control. He would clap his hands and say "Come on we can do better, pick it up". Many times if a player made a mistake, he would softly tap their helmet and give them encouragement. C.Welch was a tuff minded coach but he did things to encourage and always under self control. His players love and respected him. It's no wonder Canyon Country HS won so many CIF and State championships. His practices were brutal and hard. He believed conditioning was paramount.

The great C.Bob Ladouceur, De La Salle HS, Concord coached da same way as C.Welch. C.Ladouceur never cuss out any of his players.
I’m not sure it happened, even the poster said he wasn’t sure.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Dang dat's low cussing out 8th graders. But, I do not think it's enough to get fired, unless he had warnings and was reprimanded before. Hell, he is a long time. experienced coach, so there's no excuse for him losing his temper like dat.

I remember watching legendary C.Harry Welch, Canyon Country coach his teams at practice and at games. I never eva saw him cussed out his players. He was always under control. He would clap his hands and say "Come on we can do better, pick it up". Many times if a player made a mistake, he would softly tap their helmet and give them encouragement. C.Welch was a tuff minded coach but he did things to encourage and always under self control. His players love and respected him. It's no wonder Canyon Country HS won so many CIF and State championships. His practices were brutal and hard. He believed conditioning was paramount.

The great C.Bob Ladouceur, De La Salle HS, Concord coached da same way as C.Welch. C.Ladouceur never cuss out any of his players.
I will always remember what Bill Walton said about Coach Wooden.
“ Coach never, ever swore. He hardly ever even raised his voice, but if you did something that made him say “ Goodness, gracious, sakes alive” that meant you were on your last legs as a basketball player.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Veebs, just read something. MD's new president and AD put forth an investigation due to hazing problems under C.Rolli. Maybe the findings pins some of the blame on C.McManus? I'm thinking for them to fire C.McManus must be pretty serious stuff...
I suppose it could be something else, but it makes perfect sense that he’s been implicated in the hazing culture that was percolating under Rollo.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
I will always remember what Bill Walton said about Coach Wooden.
“ Coach never, ever swore. He hardly ever even raised his voice, but if you did something that made him say “ Goodness, gracious, sakes alive” that meant you were on your last legs as a basketball player.
C.Wooden was an amazing coach, person and Christian. Yep, during UCLA TV games never saw him yelling or cussing, he was always under self control. It's nice to play for dat type of coaches. I thought C.PC, C.McKay, C.Sark, C.Enfield were da calm types.

My HS FB and basketball coaches were da yellers and hot temper types. They did not bother me, but some of my teammates were affected by their loudness. My baseball and track coaches were da calm type. I prefer the calm type...

Last edited:

4thamp1

Aug 24, 2017
Anger, if used to motivate or correct too often, is like a barking Yorkie.
It becomes annoying and players just tune them out after awhile.
It also crushes team morale.

Anger, when used sparingly, with perfect timing, matter, and intensity, has shock value but will not replace teaching good fundamentals.

You want to send a message to a player?
Take them out of the game and sit them down without even a look.
Not playing sends the biggest message, provided the fundamentals were coached first.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Anger, if used to motivate or correct too often, is like a barking Yorkie.
It becomes annoying and players just tune them out after awhile.
It also crushes team morale.

Anger, when used sparingly, with perfect timing, matter, and intensity, has shock value but will not replace teaching good fundamentals.

You want to send a message to a player?
Take them out of the game and sit them down without even a look.
Not playing sends the biggest message, provided the fundamentals were coached first.
Different strokes I suspect.

Nick Saban, GOAT college football coach.....not a very even tempered sort of guy. Good players know how to ignore the delivery and focus on the message.

Kirby's locker room speeches are pretty epic. Doesn't seem to have caused an impediment to success.

Football is not for pu****s. If a coach is yelling or cussing, get used to it.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Different strokes I suspect.

Nick Saban, GOAT college football coach.....not a very even tempered sort of guy. Good players know how to ignore the delivery and focus on the message.

Kirby's locker room speeches are pretty epic. Doesn't seem to have caused an impediment to success.

Football is not for pu****s. If a coach is yelling or cussing, get used to it.
Billy Martin and Earl Weaver were a couple guys who’d get into players jerseys too.

dblwall

Aug 24, 2017
Billy Martin and Earl Weaver were a couple guys who’d get into players jerseys too.
Best man in my wedding played for Billy in New York Said he absolutely loved rookies, they would listen and didn't have the God complex. And he despised Reggie and everything about his attitude.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
So did Phil Knight. I do think physical contact is not okay. Over-the-top tantrums do tend to be a hallmark in baseball, lol. Very few could hold a candle to Billy or Tommy.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Best man in my wedding played for Billy in New York Said he absolutely loved rookies, they would listen and didn't have the God complex. And he despised Reggie and everything about his attitude.
I admire both those guys. I miss the color they brought to the game, like Weaver turning his hat backwards so he could get nose to nose with an umpire..

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
So did Phil Knight. I do think physical contact is not okay. Over-the-top tantrums do tend to be a hallmark in baseball, lol. Very few could hold a candle to Billy or Tommy.
Yeah, there’s a difference between getting someone’s attention to make your point and making contact like Woody Hayes