MBB in the bubble discussion

Captain_Obvious

Feb 18, 2022
Sort of.
Article in USA Today has us at least listed in the discussion of tournament teams.
Their categories are:
Last 4 in
First four out
Next four out
Others considered for at large bids
and
On life support

South Carolina is listed in that last category. Lol

Great win last night with lots of potential ahead! Still a chance to not only make noise but make it into the post season. I’m hoping they can get some upsets in these last 3 and in the SEC Tourney.
Go Cocks!

Reactions: Horseshoe04

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
Have to obviously beat Missouri at home then win 1 of the road games in Alabama, then real discussions can happen. Will probably also need to advance to Saturday in the conference tournament.

Pretty tall mountain to climb for a pretty untalented team.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Have to obviously beat Missouri at home then win 1 of the road games in Alabama, then real discussions can happen. Will probably also need to advance to Saturday in the conference tournament.

Pretty tall mountain to climb for a pretty untalented team.
So you’re saying FM has done an excellent job getting an untalented team to 17-10, 5th place in SEC and into the discussion of the dance

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If it happens I guess we have to make peace with being in the tournament every 5th year or so, with 4 or so years of abysmal suck and frustration in between.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
So you’re saying FM has done an excellent job getting an untalented team to 17-10, 5th place in SEC and into the discussion of the dance
He's done a poor job of taking a talented team to 17-10. There is no question there is talent on this team. Why has it taken half the year to get K.B. and J.C. playing to their talent level? They have been in the system for 3+ years. Happens every year with his teams.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I think taking a team of 9 new players into a new system and mixing then with established players is a challenge. Bryant's disciplinary problems to start the season and Couisnard injuries/ personal issues had allowed for some of the new guys to take over. I think Martin definitely deserves his fair share of criticism but this season, I don't fault him for that. Considering the circumstances, this may be his best coaching job he's done since he's got here.

Geek

Feb 3, 2022
Win next two, reschedule SC State and win, win 1st game in tourney and lose close in 2nd I think we would still look pretty good. 21 wins would be a hell of year considering we were 13-10

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
I think taking a team of 9 new players into a new system and mixing then with established players is a challenge. Bryant's disciplinary problems to start the season and Couisnard injuries/ personal issues had allowed for some of the new guys to take over. I think Martin definitely deserves his fair share of criticism but this season, I don't fault him for that. Considering the circumstances, this may be his best coaching job he's done since he's got here.
Why does he have 9 new players? Why is he trying to blend a good many new players with only a few established players every year? This is one of my biggest criticisms of Frank.

We rarely hit the floor running when the season starts.

Begonenow

Joined Mar 23, 2009
Jan 25, 2022
He's done a poor job of taking a talented team to 17-10. There is no question there is talent on this team. Why has it taken half the year to get K.B. and J.C. playing to their talent level? They have been in the system for 3+ years. Happens every year with his teams.
JC’s mom has serious cancer. He lost a good friend. I believe he was out with Covid. KB was suspended early on. Never heard what it was about. Blame the chicken curse. Seems to happen in every sport

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Why does he have 9 new players? Why is he trying to blend a good many new players with only a few established players every year? This is one of my biggest criticisms of Frank.

We rarely hit the floor running when the season starts.
I said he deserve his fair share of criticism, especially how last season turned out. But how he responded to all the departures has been pretty good and even our non conference losses wasn't as bad as they usually were.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
I said he deserve his fair share of criticism, especially how last season turned out. But how he responded to all the departures has been pretty good and even our non conference losses wasn't as bad as they usually were.
I can agree that he deserves credit for pulling the team together the 2nd half of the season. I honestly thought we were going to roll over.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I can agree that he deserves credit for pulling the team together the 2nd half of the season. I honestly thought we were going to roll over.
You and me both that's why I'm impressed he's been competitive in arguably the best conference in college basketball this season. And unlike in other years we don't have any bad losses against any of the worst teams in the conference.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
No. I’m saying he’s arguably the worst recruiter in the power 5.
In your opinion has he recruited better than Horn? Odom? I think He has developed players better than Horn and Odom.
This is not a defend FM, Folger recruited well at times, particularly in state, but nobody has recruited well here. Is that coach? Program? Competition?

• Haha

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
In your opinion has he recruited better than Horn? Odom? I think He has developed players better than Horn and Odom.
This is not a defend FM, Folger recruited well at times, particularly in state, but nobody has recruited well here. Is that coach? Program? Competition?
Coach. We haven’t hired one of those sleezebag type coaches that’ll do anything to get a player. Need one of those for 10 seasons to get the program on top, then let the program recruit itself.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I think it's provisional. Could be; could turn out to be something less. The program should have been farther along. But if we Dance, there's nothing to do but give him his props. Don't extend him for at least another year, though

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I think it's provisional. Could be; could turn out to be something less. The program should have been farther along. But if we Dance, there's nothing to do but give him his props. Don't extend him for at least another year, though

This team isn't even a bubble team.
First 4 out (4 obviously), next 4 out (4 again) and there were 8 teams listed as "others considered". That's 16 teams that would need to be passed.

Then, this team is one of 17 teams listed as "on life support".

That means it has to pass anywhere from 16 to 32 teams to get to tourney by the end of the season. (Based on that article)

I would not be comfortable using that list to argue being in any serious consideration.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
This team isn't even a bubble team.
First 4 out (4 obviously), next 4 out (4 again) and there were 8 teams listed as "others considered". That's 16 teams that would need to be passed.

Then, this team is one of 17 teams listed as "on life support".

That means it has to pass anywhere from 16 to 32 teams to get to tourney by the end of the season. (Based on that article)

I would not be comfortable using that list to argue being in any serious consideration.
All the teams still have to play the games, though. I've seen some crazy things.

Horseshoe04

Joined Jan 5, 2014
Jan 21, 2022
We are officially on the NIT bubble which feels like we might be a game and a half ahead of pick one of the last seasons you want since Sin moved on. Remember that loss to Coastal

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
All the teams still have to play the games, though. I've seen some crazy things.

That is true.

And my response was clouded by a previous post praising FM for getting this team into the discussion for the dance. I just think that's a huge stretch.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
That is true.

And my response was clouded by a previous post praising FM for getting this team into the discussion for the dance. I just think that's a huge stretch.
Very problematic. Each win makes it less problematic, but the wiggle room now is negligible.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
We are officially on the NIT bubble which feels like we might be a game and a half ahead of pick one of the last seasons you want since Sin moved on. Remember that loss to Coastal
Kind of hard to forget it. It's amazing how much better 18-9 looks than 17-10. Get a win against Clemson or Princeton and 19-8 looks REALLY good right now. Barring a miracle finish to this season, the team dug a hole early on (again) that killed their tournament chances. Which is really shameful because we are probably better right now than a lot of tournament teams.

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
Kind of hard to forget it. It's amazing how much better 18-9 looks than 17-10. Get a win against Clemson or Princeton and 19-8 looks REALLY good right now. Barring a miracle finish to this season, the team dug a hole early on (again) that killed their tournament chances. Which is really shameful because we are probably better right now than a lot of tournament teams.
That whole Tillman covid debacle still gives me the red ***.

Ranks up there when Thornwell missed the game against them due to “ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT POLICY.”