Miami likely to be searching for a new coach

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I consider the freeing up of piles of money to be a clear indicator of intended direction.

Most people and institutions don't throw lots of money at improving things they're not serious about improving.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
What piles of money are being freed up? Last I checked USC is still selling off assets to counter the Tyndall lawsuit tsunami. If your theory is correct....USC has no intention of improving the lies and cover up that happened.

Reactions: AMLTrojan

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Years ago, USC wasn't Harvard and most students, alums, and players didn't care. It was still a pretty good school that produced well-rounded graduates who generally went out and were successful in the world. And, USC played some damn good football.

First Sample, then Nikias. USC has changed. Where the football program used to get the lion's share of attention and donations, the University is the focus. Application numbers are through the roof. Getting through all the scandals, the BoT clearly wants to continue to establish USC as a top academic destination. It's only a second-hand interest if football does well.

Pete made USC the star of Southern California sports. He got too big, too popular....and Pat clipped him in the shorts. Why was it so important for PC to have "total control" over what job he wanted? Because he had it at one time at USC, but then lost it. Things changed from that point on. Besides the sanctions, USC has turned away from football prominence to pursue a different direction. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Max is the one who dropped the dime on Reggie's parents. Did anyone check CBS's phone records?

It seems to me that a regularly successful football program needs to have the full support of the university. There aren't any top 20 academic schools in the country who also have a perennial top 10 football program. Stanford? Nope. They will likely continue to regress as the school has basically said they are moving away from supporting athletics in the same way. Northwestern? Nope. Notre Dame? Probably the closest. But even they have fallen off from their "glory years".

That dynamic changes a bit if you consider only public universities. Schools that seem to have found more of a balance are Michigan, Florida, Texas, Georgia, Ohio State, and Florida State sorta'. But USC is private. That "LA thing" that people think only represents sunshine, beaches, and entertainment, is also now the center of political and social "do right". USC is the single largest employer in LA. The University has gained a lot of influence in the entertainment area, the city council, and even the DA's office. USC is itself, a sanctuary campus. Folt is all about the green and I don't mean money.

I haven't seen one private university find a way to have both a top 20 academic school and a regular top 10 football program. With the current focus of USC, although I would never say never, I don't know how that can happen.

Last edited:

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
Florida is a better place to live than California right now and that could make a difference in a coach’s decision
How so?

Absolute hell hole for like 4-6 months due to the humidity, then has hurricane galore....

Ive got family there, used to visit a lot, until sister and father both moved back here....

Reactions: ScottSchrader

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
The man has built a playoff quality football program in a state that produces almost zero in state high quality football players.
He would absolutely kill it at USC.
I have no thoughts one way or the other about Cristobal as the HC at USC. However, in support of this point.....

Going on 6 years now, California has seen declining participation, by the thousands, of kids playing football. Lots of reasons like CTE, cost, interest in other sports like baseball, soccer, and lacrosse. More specifically, I think most can agree that both sides of the line are keys to success. Skill players are easier to find in CA. Linemen not so much. Looking only at last year's draft, there were 46 offensive linemen drafted. Only 4 of those were from CA and only 1 played at USC. There were a total of 53 defensive linemen drafted and just 2 came from CA, although one did come to USC so you could say USC got 50% of the options, lol.

Point being, whomever is the coach has to be able to recruit well outside their state, not just in-state and local.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
How so?

Absolute hell hole for like 4-6 months due to the humidity, then has hurricane galore....

Ive got family there, used to visit a lot, until sister and father both moved back here....
And yet, strangely, there are plenty of coaches who were born, raised, played, and now coach in those areas. I think they are okay with the weather, even if they don't love it. Didn't USC's former Tweedles both leave for humid climates and are still there? If all USC has to offer in one-upmanship is "weather", the interested candidate list won't be as long. It all sounds good until you actually live in socal and come to understand why it's not all that for everybody.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
between us and Miami …. We may be going after the same candidates…

hearing Miami wants Mario.

Miami is also a sleeping giant. Not to mention FSU who may also pull the trigger but not likely
Mario is from Miami. Interesting? 🤔

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Florida is a better place to live than California right now and that could make a difference in a coach’s decision
Exactly only an idiot brags about a state where 50% of the entire nations homeless people live in one state California. There are 50 states and half of the homeless people live in one? That tells you that the leadership has ignored the issue. Fake News won’t mentions this.

It’s also number #1 in welfare spending by a lot. 4991077A-A106-440B-944E-80D5FC3C5CB2.jpeg

Last edited:

trojan raul

Aug 24, 2017
Miami is hot as balls 8 months out of the year. Nasty humidity and always the threat of hurricanes. It's the LA of the east but with lots of sticky.

denali15

Aug 28, 2017
This kind of thinking is partly responsible for why USC is in the position it now is.

The “ He gets USC” thing. It’s BS. Pete Carroll “ got“ USC probably as much or more than any Coach we’ve ever had. And his only tie to USC is his daughter was on the Volleyball team.

Mario Cristobal played at Miami. Yes, but how many coaches can you think of that were successful as players AND as coaches at their respective schools? it’s a short damn list.

What does him being Cuban have to do with him being successful at Miami?

Go ahead and give me a list of all the great Cuban players that have played there. The only thing about the U Football program that can be linked to Cuba is that stupid asz turnover chain.

I probably know as much about The U and how it operates as anyone on this board. There have been very few Cuban American players to play there. What made The U great in its heyday was getting fast and tough Black Kids from Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties and White QB’s from Out of State.They’ve probably had more QBs from California than from South Florida. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head were George Mira in the 60’s, Steve Walsh in the 80’s and Jacory Harris in the 2000’s. Derek Crudup I guess, but he made almost zero impact there. Came in for one play vs Ohio St when Californian Ken Dorsey had to leave the game.

I can almost guarantee you, that if Mario Cristobal is looking to leave Oregon, he would more likely choose USC over Miami, all offers being equal.

The man has built a playoff quality football program in a state that produces almost zero in state high quality football players.
He would absolutely kill it at USC.

Aren't you forgetting such successful Cuban coaches at the U as Jimmy Johnson, Howard Schnellenberger (Sp?)...

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Blem,

I have no problem with you disagreeing with me ... ever. It makes for better "discussion" and besides, most peeps eventually do.

I also appreciate that you have as good an insight into Miami as anyone I've ever seen post on the USC boards, and so I'm comfortable that you can speak with an usually high level of authority on the Canes.

Maybe where we first part on MC is where you're assuming Cristobal would still want Donte at his side. Given that DW recently bolted on him, I'm not ready to make that assumption. Actually, I was thinking that hiring MC might be one sure way to guaranty Donte would bail, or be jettisoned ... which is, in turn, one reason not to hire Cristobal.

That said, I'm personally against Cristobal because I don't like the idea of poaching another P12 coach to jump ship for USC by our encouragement. Maybe I'd feel different if Mario made the initial contact-of-interest to Bohn, but I don't see that happening. I which case, he'd be looking at it as mostly a money-opportunity thrown at him by USC in near desperation and, I think, Uncle Phil would outbid even USC to keep Mario. In truth, I think UO would do just about anything to keep him.

I also don't believe Cristobal would leave Oregon for another P12 school, even USC. He would leave, however, for a quality team in the South with tradition, a pro (vs. con) football culture and bouquet-piles of money, especially such a school in the state of Flodido ... since that's home for him, not LA. I know you know he played and started his coaching career at Miami. All thing's being equal, don't you think Mario to Miami is a much more likely move than Mario to Los Angeles? It'd be a grand thing, IMO, for him to return in triumph to Miami and complete the full circle in his coaching career.

Yes, I agree he's a very good coach and I recognize Oregon's current success is much the result of Mario Cristobal, but I don't think he's the best candidate for USC by a long shot. He'd be another lazy hire. The last head coach we poached from a P12 school came in with all the promise of success but didn't turn out so swell (Cutty Sark).

If we do in fact conduct a full, broad and thoughtful professional search for our new HC, then I'll agree MC's name should probably be somewhere on the master list, 'cuz "if you don't ask, you don't get." And if all the nuts have been shaken from the tree and he's the best we can find then I'd support him, but with one-eye-open and on him all the time for the NFL to come calling and lure him away. (Personally, I think Mario's next move is to take a stab at the NFL, not any other D1 college program that's not Miami, FSU or the Gators - and the Gators aren't looking right now.

Finally, as USC fans we see USC as head and shoulders above Oregon in all regards, but the Duck program is his baby, his creation. I think he'd be loath to give it up for what he may very likely see as pretty-much only a lateral move.

None of those may be fair or accurate, but it's how I see things with him. Even if I were wrong on all accounts, I still think we should aim higher.

USC need lots off things in a new coach that not Clay, Sark or the Lane Train ever offered but, among those things, I'd consider the stability of a sincere long-term commitment to USC an extremely important consideration. After the constant hire-n-fire revolving door at USC ever since Pete left, we desperately need someone qualified, capable and committed to stick with USC all the way back to the pinnacle. I don't think Cristobal would provide that.

And stop being a racist.

View attachment 153983

Good post. I believe Cristobal is recruiting and doing well for the Duckies all because of Knight's money, support and backing. Without Knight, Cristobal would be pretty much average. I do not view Cristobal as an Elite type coach. I'm on your boat, I do not want Cristobal as our next HC. Let's focus on the other top coaches, pay them and have them repair this broken football program.

The only coaches the new HC should keep: Donte Williams, maybe DC.Orlando. Everyone must go! Clean house. Right now USC brand of FB is one of the worst in history, it's horrible. We're all fed up to the max, just look at all the negative post on this board. No on a hot, potential AC or Coordinators, no more experiment. Find & get an experienced, knowledgeable HC with a Defensive background, a winning record, strong recruiting history, strong minded, no nonsense personality to fix USC football...

Last edited:

denali15

Aug 28, 2017
I consider the freeing up of piles of money to be a clear indicator of intended direction.

Most people and institutions don't throw lots of money at improving things they're not serious about improving.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

How much money did they really "free up?" Haven't they just played catch-up after years of underinvestment? Would Clemson consider what we spend to be serious money?

Reactions: uscvball

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
USC is recommitted to that? Or just the athletic department? I see no convincing acts or commitments on the part of the BoT or the current President to regaining national prominence on the football field.

If that's what you are waiting to hear....you'll likely be waiting a long time. USC is not going to take a step back in that direction. They have made a firm commitment to all things "California" that have nothing to do with "glamorous locale". The BoT and paper tiger Folt as the tip of the spear, care about USC being top ranked academically. The money that comes with that is obvious. They aren't going to give that up to become known again as running back U.

If you consider strictly base pay, yes. However, a university president such as folt, makes just as much if not more money, when you look at her entire compensation package. She also gets incentivized for how much money in donations she brings in. Football revenue doesn't touch endowment money.

In April, "Folt said, “We are very fortunate at USC that our financial picture is positive. The value of our endowment reached an all-time high of $6.9 billion.”

Without the lawsuits, USC is swimming in money. Folt showed Helton more patience than Rip Van Winkle sleeping through his 20 years.
By that token, HC's have various other revenue streams such as advertising/sponsorships, merchandising, camps etc. HC's have all sorts of other opportunities, if they pursue them and are a big enough name to warrant it.

Saban seems to welcome the Aflac or whatever stuff. Dabo never seemed to be interested in that stuff. There's only one Saban, but I've heard HC's can make bank on the various other oppty's besides what the schools pay them.

Petey Rob

Aug 24, 2017
How much money did they really "free up?" Haven't they just played catch-up after years of underinvestment? Would Clemson consider what we spend to be serious money?
If none of them cared at all, why even spend what it takes to play catch up?

This is the same theme as blaming Bohn for Helton's first contract and baffling extension. He cannot undo what's been done. All he can do is make improvements on what he inherited and he's done that for at least 18 months now.

Some of you are determined to complain no matter what changes are made. Why not just check out, until SC makes the playoff?

Reactions: Pudly76

scairde

Aug 24, 2017
Manny Diaz at UM - cautionary example of promoting from within and giving the HC job to someone that's never been a HC.
Oh you mean like John McKay and John Robinson. Both were never head coaches when hired by SC. Not saying we should go with Donte, but shouldn’t write him off just because.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
By that token, HC's have various other revenue streams such as advertising/sponsorships, merchandising, camps etc. HC's have all sorts of other opportunities, if they pursue them and are a big enough name to warrant it.

Saban seems to welcome the Aflac or whatever stuff. Dabo never seemed to be interested in that stuff. There's only one Saban, but I've heard HC's can make bank on the various other oppty's besides what the schools pay them.
Yes they do. Most cases puts both jobs roughly similar. The point being, a HC isn't more important to a school WRT to revenue, particularly when it comes to a private university that relies on research $$. Big enough name is key. Top 5%.

Saban welcomed AFLAC because the company said they were looking for the best recruiter. 9 out of 12 years of classes ranked #1, or something like that, makes Saban the obvious choice. When they came knocking at the throne room door, Nick answered, with all of his NC rings. What better way to recruit nationally?

denali15

Aug 28, 2017

I'm pretty sure CPC was invited into deals he wouldn't have seen if he hadn't been...well, Pete Carroll. Saban has a string of car dealerships, I believe. I have no idea if he got a better deal on those than you or I would, but wouldn't you love having Saban as a business partner in Alabama, even if he didn't put up 50% of the price?

denali15

Aug 28, 2017
If none of them cared at all, why even spend what it takes to play catch up?

This is the same theme as blaming Bohn for Helton's first contract and baffling extension. He cannot undo what's been done. All he can do is make improvements on what he inherited and he's done that for at least 18 months now.

Some of you are determined to complain no matter what changes are made. Why not just check out, until SC makes the playoff?

I don't know what your post has to do with anything I said. The poster commented on how USC was suddenly spending "serious money." I was questioning how "serious" that money actually was compared with most big powers. So far USC hasn't "spent what it takes to play catchup," by keeping Helton so long to save money, e.g. He's spent a bit of money around the edges, but nothing particularly extraordinary.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
TA&M says hold my beer.

Petey Rob

Aug 24, 2017
I don't know what your post has to do with anything I said. The poster commented on how USC was suddenly spending "serious money." I was questioning how "serious" that money actually was compared with most big powers. So far USC hasn't "spent what it takes to play catchup," by keeping Helton so long to save money, e.g. He's spent a bit of money around the edges, but nothing particularly extraordinary.
It has everything to do with what you said.

You're so focused on measuring dicks against Clemson, that you don't see how improving things on the "edges" has value beyond dollars. It makes this job 1000x more attractive and effective for the next hire. It's stuff that you don't have to address during negotiations and needed to be done at some point anyway.

When you don't have the option to make the big move immediately, you make all of the "small" moves at your disposal. They add up, they matter and now it doesn't have to be done after the new guy rolls into town. He can just focus on coaching his players.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
There are 129 college teams in D-1. Many P-5 teams are looking for the next Super Elite Coach. And so, the hunt & search are ever lasting; hire the next hot AC or Coordinator and within 4 yrs with an unsatisfactory record, they are fired, let go.

Shoot, there are only maybe 20 top HC's in the country. Out of the top 20, only 8 Elite HC (N.Saban, D.Swinney, L.Riley, R.Day. K.Smart, J.Fisher, D.Mullen & U.Meyer (NFL) but they are entrenched with heavy contracts and loyal to their schools.

It's tough for all these colleges, the supply and demand for HC's is imbalance and out of whack. There are simply not enough top HC's in college FB to make everyone happy...
i think we have a differing opinion on what an elite coach is.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
And as usual, the Pac12 is behind the 8-ball when it comes to making decisions that have positive outcomes for student athletes. After the Alston case essentially punted the decisions to each conference, the SEC announced....

"The SEC on announced on Thursday, that each of its 14 member institutions will be permitted to provide specific education-related benefits and academic-based rewards to its student-athletes, after it was voted into effect by presidents and chancellors.

The introduction of the new rule came on the heels of the Alston v. NCAA decision, a case in which the court ruled 9-0 that schools could not bar educational-related benefits to players. The NCAA argued that these benefits were impermissible, would be labeled as “pay-for-play” transactions and would deem student-athletes as ineligible, as they’d forfeit amateurism status. After the NCAA lost its case, the SEC took steps in the opposite direction to provide for student-athletes in the classroom.

“The Alston decision granted universities the opportunity to provide student-athletes with additional education-related benefits such as computers, science equipment and musical instruments, along with direct financial support in the form of academic achievement awards, up to the legally established maximum of $5,980 per year,” the SEC press release reads.

Following unanimous approval by the SEC athletic directors, the new proposal was taken to the university presidents for confirmation. The presidents also unanimously voted in favor of the new rule."

Meanwhile, Pac12 AD's and Presidents can't seem to agree on anything, have no clear leadership, and continue to be followers. Football is either a priority or it isn't.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
TA&M says hold my beer.
Don't follow TAMU too closely, but I'd have to question...what have they gotten for the dumptruck of cash backed into Jimbo's garage? I question how competitive they'd have been in the B12, let alone the SEC. They've started the year in a somewhat lackluster fashion and will be heading into the conf schedule.

If they can't end up ahead of FL/Auburn/Ole Miss and Ark by the end of the season, I'd say it's wasted money. Jimbo's a trickster from way back, but I don't see Saban/Smart giving up much room to Jimbo. I guess LSU's descent helps TAMU, one less team above them. Now...if Tenn can ever get their shizz together.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Aren't you forgetting such successful Cuban coaches at the U as Jimmy Johnson, Howard Schnellenberger (Sp?)...
I stand corrected, ha ha.
I think they only Spanish words Jimmy knows are Cerveza and Ceviche, but he grew up in Port Arthur Texas so that may not be true. High school classmate of Janis joplin

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Don't follow TAMU too closely, but I'd have to question...what have they gotten for the dumptruck of cash backed into Jimbo's garage? I question how competitive they'd have been in the B12, let alone the SEC. They've started the year in a somewhat lackluster fashion and will be heading into the conf schedule.

If they can't end up ahead of FL/Auburn/Ole Miss and Ark by the end of the season, I'd say it's wasted money. Jimbo's a trickster from way back, but I don't see Saban/Smart giving up much room to Jimbo. I guess LSU's descent helps TAMU, one less team above them. Now...if Tenn can ever get their shizz together.
Don't disagree with any of that. Was speaking specifically about money spent. TA&M has outspent everyone in Texas and most all programs nationwide. The money keeps coming in even though I don't think they'll ever get to the holy grail, but the big boosters certainly do.....just like USC faithful do.

UGA hasn't exactly been shy with the capital investments where football is concerned. Shiny new buildings and training facilities look pretty darn good. Some of that bleed-over money is going to benefit Coach Caryl Smith Gilbert. Yes, I made a pivot there.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
And as usual, the Pac12 is behind the 8-ball when it comes to making decisions that have positive outcomes for student athletes. After the Alston case essentially punted the decisions to each conference, the SEC announced....

"The SEC on announced on Thursday, that each of its 14 member institutions will be permitted to provide specific education-related benefits and academic-based rewards to its student-athletes, after it was voted into effect by presidents and chancellors.

The introduction of the new rule came on the heels of the Alston v. NCAA decision, a case in which the court ruled 9-0 that schools could not bar educational-related benefits to players. The NCAA argued that these benefits were impermissible, would be labeled as “pay-for-play” transactions and would deem student-athletes as ineligible, as they’d forfeit amateurism status. After the NCAA lost its case, the SEC took steps in the opposite direction to provide for student-athletes in the classroom.

“The Alston decision granted universities the opportunity to provide student-athletes with additional education-related benefits such as computers, science equipment and musical instruments, along with direct financial support in the form of academic achievement awards, up to the legally established maximum of $5,980 per year,” the SEC press release reads.

Following unanimous approval by the SEC athletic directors, the new proposal was taken to the university presidents for confirmation. The presidents also unanimously voted in favor of the new rule."

Meanwhile, Pac12 AD's and Presidents can't seem to agree on anything, have no clear leadership, and continue to be followers. Football is either a priority or it isn't.
I perceive there's more afoot w/ the SEC than meets the eye. I sense a power-play where essentially, the SEC is muscling the NCAA and taking over matters that used to be in the NCAA's domain. A sort of mob-boss takeover. And I don't blame them, it's the smart move. The PAC is weak, the B12 is dissolving, tOSU which props up the B10 is in a bit of a tailspin and ND is an independent. The ACC between pretenders Miami/UNC and an uncharacteristically vulnerable Clemson (not to mention a 1-week trending VTech that came back down to earth) and the dumpster-fire FSU...if it weren't for Clemson's past and current ranking, I'd argue they're in a bigger mess than the PAC.

But, who wants to see a juggernaut SEC get stronger, a Bama team consolidate power even more and the rest of the conf's essentially following? Something has to give...the collective remaining teams won't just want to cede power that easily. What's the response, is there one? Will Saban stay forever? If he leaves, can the SEC stay on top?

History tells us every empire eventually falls, Bama is doing a great job of proving that history false.

ScottSchrader

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 21, 2021
How so?

I spend as much or more time in Texas and Florida than most posting on this board, the residents of those states the exception.

I wish more Californians would move there is all I have to say.

I’m a native with no intention of ever leaving. Don’t like the politics, gas prices, taxes etc. anymore than anyone else, but I love the Golden State nevertheless.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
I spend as much or more time in Texas and Florida than most posting on this board, the residents of those states the exception.

I wish more Californians would move there is all I have to say.

I’m a native with no intention of ever leaving. Don’t like the politics, gas prices, taxes etc. anymore than anyone else, but I love the Golden State nevertheless.
The whole "which state is 'better'" thing is such a subjective and nebulous topic...usually tossed around by those w/ an agenda/bias/axe to grind. Politics and demographics are changing so quickly that not much is static outside of Mississippi.

For tax purposes, sure, some states are "friendlier" than others to the affluent. If that's your #1 goal, you should move there.

After having recently returned from Austin...yeah, I'm good. They can have that. UT games should get cheaper and less crowded here soon, there is that.

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
How many ties did he have to Oregon before he took that job?
Great point! This "ties" thing is way overblown. The problem with Cristobal, as I see it, is that we're betting that we will be able to pay him more than Oregon is (currently $4M/year) but often times all that does is give a coach fuel to negotiate a better deal for himself where he already is. It isn't like Oregon is broke and can't pay more money. Historically, we are the best in the business at getting coaches raises at their present place of employment. He has to want to be here for something besides money. What is that something? He's already kind of the king of the hill at Oregon so it isn't that.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Great point! This "ties" thing is way overblown. The problem with Cristobal, as I see it, is that we're betting that we will be able to pay him more than Oregon is (currently $4M/year) but often times all that does is give a coach fuel to negotiate a better deal for himself where he already is. It isn't like Oregon is broke and can't pay more money. Historically, we are the best in the business at getting coaches raises at their present place of employment. He has to want to be here for something besides money. What is that something? He's already kind of the king of the hill at Oregon so it isn't that.
It can also backfire in recruiting and perception. If Cristobal gets offered by SC and it leaks (as it always does), Crsitobal is on the batphone to the Prez & Phil Knight to beat that offer, he then uses that press to recruit "SC wanted me to coach them". Local OR press will have a ball w/ taking it to SC. Recruits will catch on.

However, Eugene is not for everyone. About 2 hrs from PDX, it's pain to get in & out of and other than the natural beauty...not much going on there. King of a very small pond.

Then again, LA is clearly not for everyone either...as we saw in recruiting Chris Petersen.

Last edited:

denali15

Aug 28, 2017
It has everything to do with what you said.

You're so focused on measuring dicks against Clemson, that you don't see how improving things on the "edges" has value beyond dollars. It makes this job 1000x more attractive and effective for the next hire. It's stuff that you don't have to address during negotiations and needed to be done at some point anyway.

When you don't have the option to make the big move immediately, you make all of the "small" moves at your disposal. They add up, they matter and now it doesn't have to be done after the new guy rolls into town. He can just focus on coaching his players.

The poster suggested that Bohn was spending big money. He hasn't really, compared with other bigtime programs--at least not yet. So what are you arguing? That we're spending big money? Or we're making "small moves?" And who else are we supposed to measure ourselves against, other than schools who have the success we're looking for?

Relax, pal.

deleted_00002

Aug 24, 2017
Oh you mean like John McKay and John Robinson. Both were never head coaches when hired by SC. Not saying we should go with Donte, but shouldn’t write him off just because
Completely different era. The responsibilities of a modern HC and being over a program that’s 3 to 4 times the size and complexity are light years away in difference. Not to mention media and NCAA rules… social media too.

EugeneTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Why would Miami be a sleeping giant?
Because they are in Florida, one of the top three recruiting hot beds?
We should know this from experience at USC. Just because you have name value, that doesn't mean crap. You need the school and the AD to provide resources to the football program for it to be successful.
Once Folt hired Bohn, who then threw all kinds of money into the football team, we started to see improvements in staff, recruiting, resources, etc.
For all we know, Miami is in the same dumpster fire that we were in a few years ago.
Exactly, we should know this from experience at sc, if you get the right coach in a recruiting hotbed, pete carroll, you can turn things around quickly and win nattys.