Military recalling troops for active duty or restart the draft??

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Pretty sure that's just fake news. I haven't heard a word. I retired just under four years ago and most of my friends are senior leaders in the Army now....this isn't true.
Context helps....

"The service announced Wednesday that it will reopen a recall program to fill as many as 1,000 mid-career commissioned and enlisted jobs, including pilots, combat systems officers, recruiters, air traffic controllers and more. The move comes as the Air Force looks to plug critical staffing holes, facing renewed tensions in the Middle East and possibility of conflict with China.

The application window for the Voluntary Retired Return to Service Program opens Thursday, the Air Force said in a release. Applications must be submitted by Jan. 31, 2026, to serve on active duty for no more than 48 months. Those selected can expect to return to uniform between four and six months after they apply.

“The VRRAD program is a strategic enabler to embrace experienced talent, tapping into a valuable resource of retired members to fill critical roles to close the gap against our peer competitors,” Lt. Gen. Caroline Miller, the service’s uniformed personnel chief, said in a release.

The program is limited to commissioned officers who held the rank of captain through lieutenant colonel, as well as former enlisted staff sergeants through senior master sergeants. Retirees who served in the medical, legal and chaplain corps — known as “non-line” officers — are ineligible to return."

So, it's voluntary but sad that this is the result of not hitting recruitment goals.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Context helps....

"The service announced Wednesday that it will reopen a recall program to fill as many as 1,000 mid-career commissioned and enlisted jobs, including pilots, combat systems officers, recruiters, air traffic controllers and more. The move comes as the Air Force looks to plug critical staffing holes, facing renewed tensions in the Middle East and possibility of conflict with China.

The application window for the Voluntary Retired Return to Service Program opens Thursday, the Air Force said in a release. Applications must be submitted by Jan. 31, 2026, to serve on active duty for no more than 48 months. Those selected can expect to return to uniform between four and six months after they apply.

“The VRRAD program is a strategic enabler to embrace experienced talent, tapping into a valuable resource of retired members to fill critical roles to close the gap against our peer competitors,” Lt. Gen. Caroline Miller, the service’s uniformed personnel chief, said in a release.

The program is limited to commissioned officers who held the rank of captain through lieutenant colonel, as well as former enlisted staff sergeants through senior master sergeants. Retirees who served in the medical, legal and chaplain corps — known as “non-line” officers — are ineligible to return."

So, it's voluntary but sad that this is the result of not hitting recruitment goals.
This is the problem with conservative bloggers, commentators and news sources.
There is a TON of legit stuff out there, but they do this kind of BS reporting over and over again.
Where they take the truth and bend it to something it is not.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Context helps....

Yeah, there's always been that program. It's been around a while. There are opportunities for me to volunteer to be a "retiree recall." Financially, it makes no sense for most people because we are getting our retirement, VA, and our current job incomes.

That said, yes....recruitment goals aren't anywhere close to being met, but they really haven't been for decades. It's not a new challenge. The challenge now is that for the past 15 years or so, we kept going to the same wells for our recruits - same parts of the country (mostly rural and red states) and to military families (mom or dad served). Not to mention the explosion in diagnoses for mental illness, overdiagnosis of asthma and other medical conditions disqualifies alot of kids from serving....add to that lack of exercise, poor diets, and the whole social experimentation with our youth have exacerbated the inability to recruit kids into the military.

The people joining the military now are alot older than they used to be. They are regularly bringing in people in their 30s and 40s....people who failed to establish successful careers in the private sector. Also alot of LGBTQ+....because they can find a safe space in the military where they will be treated like any other person....at least that's how it's played - reality is they are really given far more power over their leaders...it's a military of individuals now instead of a military focused on the team above all else.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Yeah, there's always been that program. It's been around a while. There are opportunities for me to volunteer to be a "retiree recall." Financially, it makes no sense for most people because we are getting our retirement, VA, and our current job incomes.

That said, yes....recruitment goals aren't anywhere close to being met, but they really haven't been for decades. It's not a new challenge. The challenge now is that for the past 15 years or so, we kept going to the same wells for our recruits - same parts of the country (mostly rural and red states) and to military families (mom or dad served). Not to mention the explosion in diagnoses for mental illness, overdiagnosis of asthma and other medical conditions disqualifies alot of kids from serving....add to that lack of exercise, poor diets, and the whole social experimentation with our youth have exacerbated the inability to recruit kids into the military.

The people joining the military now are alot older than they used to be. They are regularly bringing in people in their 30s and 40s....people who failed to establish successful careers in the private sector. Also alot of LGBTQ+....because they can find a safe space in the military where they will be treated like any other person....at least that's how it's played - reality is they are really given far more power over their leaders...it's a military of individuals now instead of a military focused on the team above all else.
Pretty simple solution. The military should pay these retired officers to come back. This program is shot, who would work for free? It's a win for the military, they would be getting a well trained and experienced solider. I bet many would come back if they were paid...

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Pretty simple solution. The military should pay these retired officers to come back. This program is shot, who would work for free? It's a win for the military, they would be getting a well trained and experienced solider. I bet many would come back if they were paid...
The retiree recall program isn't free. They pay the officers (or enlisted) what they would be making on active duty at the rank they retired as. But right now my retirement pay is almost 70% of what my active duty base pay was and I'm not even accounting for what the VA gives me (tax free money). I also have a job now so I wouldn't have that income any more which is alot more than what I'd make on active duty. So basically I'd be working for less than half of what I make now.

The only way it makes sense financially is if you aren't currently working....or if they matched what your current income is...which would get expensive.

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020
Pretty sure that's just fake news. I haven't heard a word. I retired just under four years ago and most of my friends are senior leaders in the Army now....this isn't true.

Thx. I haven’t heard this claim either.

Reactions: Pudly76

Hondo92

Sep 1, 2021
For what it's worth, I just dropped my retirement package ( Army National Guard). Not a word from my command about it not being approved, I turned in all my gear ( cleared CIF) and scheduled my retirement ceremony. Not saying it isn't true but not finding this to be an issue in my case.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
For what it's worth, I just dropped my retirement package ( Army National Guard). Not a word from my command about it not being approved, I turned in all my gear ( cleared CIF) and scheduled my retirement ceremony. Not saying it isn't true but not finding this to be an issue in my case.
Thanks for that and your service..

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Yeah haven’t heard a word. Trust me if there was even a whisper, the veterans’ networks would be the first to be screaming from the mountain tops.

Calibama

Sep 6, 2021
This is the problem with conservative bloggers, commentators and news sources.
There is a TON of legit stuff out there, but they do this kind of BS reporting over and over again.
Where they take the truth and bend it to something it is not.
It's hard for me to believe that any reputable news service would do such a thing!

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020
We have to be extra careful these days.

In that video, the fabricated Biden speech is followed by commentator Jack Posobiec saying (48 seconds in) that the clip is an AI video “designed and scripted by our producers here for the show of what could happen if President Biden were to declare and activate the Selective Service Act and begin drafting 20-year-olds here in the United States."

Latest posts