More disrespect for MBB from Joe Lunardi

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Joe Lunardi does not include us in his way-too-early NCAA bracket. Notably, he has Missouri, who was absymally awful last year, as the first team left out and has Vandy in the next four out. Mizzou and Vandy were the bottom 2 teams in the SEC and the absolute worst by a long shot. We don't get a mention anywhere.

Obviously, it's just for entertainment purposes at this point, but it seems a curious to leave us out entirely but have Missouri and Vandy in the discussion.

On the other hand, we did embarrass ourselves in the tournament this past year. I do think it's a bit silly not have us in the discussion at all, not even on the bubble, but I also think our very bad showing against Oregon will hurt us in the eyes of the committee.

gsb16

Feb 7, 2022
Lunardi didn't think we'd be in the NCAAT last year either.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Lunardi didn't think we'd be in the NCAAT last year either.

Well, it was certainly understandable to think we wouldn't make it last year after our 2022 season.

Cant' see the rationale for having Vandy and Mizzou in the discussion while we aren't even on the bubble.

And, yes, I'm well aware these projections are meaningless this far out and it's purely for entertainment value. Curious nonetheless.

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
He may also be taking into consideration that we have no true point guard yet. That is a vital part of any championship team as we saw with Cooper last year. He was perfect for this team and style. Until we find that for next year then even I am skeptical of how good we will truly be. They are the QB of the team. Without a good one, then it is hard to make the rest of the team go. Hopefully Paris finds a good one soon. I am actually surprised with how this last year was that we have not gotten any that we have tried to get so far.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Joe Lunardi does not include us in his way-too-early NCAA bracket. Notably, he has Missouri, who was absymally awful last year, as the first team left out and has Vandy in the next four out. Mizzou and Vandy were the bottom 2 teams in the SEC and the absolute worst by a long shot. We don't get a mention anywhere.

Obviously, it's just for entertainment purposes at this point, but it seems a curious to leave us out entirely but have Missouri and Vandy in the discussion.

On the other hand, we did embarrass ourselves in the tournament this past year. I do think it's a bit silly not have us in the discussion at all, not even on the bubble, but I also think our very bad showing against Oregon will hurt us in the eyes of the committee.

"Embarrass" ourselves? Come on, man. No need to keep beating that horse. A 14 point loss to the Pac-12 champion is hardly embarrassing.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
"Embarrass" ourselves? Come on, man. No need to keep beating that horse. A 14 point loss to the Pac-12 champion is hardly embarrassing.

Oh, come on. They were the Pac 12 tournament champion and would not have made the tournament without winning the conference. We were really non-competitive overall in the game. Our lone highlight was Talon's 3/4 court shot to end the half. We got pretty well bullied by the lower seeded team.

I'm not dissing the season. Great season. Lots of great highlights. Lots of memorable moments. The NCAAT was not one of them. It was a learning experience for the players. For the fans, it was a completely forgettable game.

Reactions: Backyard Archer

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I guess I'm more curious about what I missed regarding Vandy and Mizzou? Are either of them signing a bunch of 5* or something?

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023

If you look at Missouri recruiting class, they did do well with incoming freshman and with the portal. Getting Mark Mitchell from Duke will really help them. Getting Graduate Transfer Tony Perkins from Iowa will help. I think he makes a similar impact with them as Ta'lon Cooper did for us. Don't know about Vanderbilt, but don't expect last year's Missouri to show up this year.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If you look at Missouri recruiting class, they did do well with incoming freshman and with the portal. Getting Mark Mitchell from Duke will really help them. Getting Graduate Transfer Tony Perkins from Iowa will help. I think he makes a similar impact with them as Ta'lon Cooper did for us. Don't know about Vanderbilt, but don't expect last year's Missouri to show up this year.

They were next level bad this season. One of the worst D1 teams out there. They made our 2022-23 team look pretty good. If they can get on the bubble next year, that will be a fantastic turnaround, far exceeding our turnaround this past season.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I guess its reflective of the new state of college athletics with the transfer portal. How good or bad you were this year really has no bearing on how good or bad you may be next year. There's little to no stability, no development, no building or growing to he done. It's now all about cobbling together a team from everybody else's spare parts and whoever can coble together the best team wins. Atleast for this year. Next year is a different story.

Reactions: Big JC

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
I guess its reflective of the new state of college athletics with the transfer portal. How good or bad you were this year really has no bearing on how good or bad you may be next year. There's little to no stability, no development, no building or growing to he done. It's now all about cobbling together a team from everybody else's spare parts and whoever can coble together the best team wins. Atleast for this year. Next year is a different story.
Yeah, but I don't see the way they do pre-season rankings to change. You have to start the rankings somewhere and last years final rankings are a good starting points, transfer and NFL loses or not! NIL has definitely changed the game like it or not!

Stephen Garcia was on ITG show yesterday and said when FSU's Jordan Travis went down last year mid-season FSU put feelers out for a transfer and Garcia said Caleb Williams asking price was 10 million, there are no ethics anymore, it's all about what can you get me now!

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
It just gave the appearance that detractors were right - we didn't belong, that's all.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Big JC

May 12, 2023
College Bball has become a higher level version of playground basketball. There is little to no continuity in any team now. No one can really say "we were young this season, next season we will be good" because next season half or more of the team may be gone and replaced by transfers.

I guess the fantasy league generation likes the new world of college sports. I don't.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Yeah, but I don't see the way they do pre-season rankings to change. You have to start the rankings somewhere and last years final rankings are a good starting points, transfer and NFL loses or not! NIL has definitely changed the game like it or not!
It is certainly true that the "way too early" projections are way too early. I know everybody in the business is desperate for clicks, but the paradigm for preseason predictions will need to change too - unless nobody cares how accurate they are (which may very well be the case).

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

With so much roster turnover from one year to the next, it certainly does diminish the importance of making the tournament from one year to the next.

Ansonicus

Jul 13, 2022
He may also be taking into consideration that we have no true point guard yet. That is a vital part of any championship team as we saw with Cooper last year. He was perfect for this team and style. Until we find that for next year then even I am skeptical of how good we will truly be. They are the QB of the team. Without a good one, then it is hard to make the rest of the team go. Hopefully Paris finds a good one soon. I am actually surprised with how this last year was that we have not gotten any that we have tried to get so far.
Lamont found your man! 😊😁😊

SkyCock

Joined Oct 2, 2017
Jan 21, 2022
LP just found the KEY for Our COURTCOCKS!!…….JUST WIN BA-BEE!….YEAH!!👍💪💪🏽👊🤙👍😎