Morning After thoughts

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
I can’t figure out what happened to this Penn State team. They had some obvious flaws even when they were winning, but they still looked like a legit top 10 program. Not sure what it was, but something (besides injuries) happened in Iowa that seems to have knocked them off their rails.

The MD game was a lot closer than the final score. Where the hell would they be without Dotson?

Inexcusable with 1:15 on the click and 3 timeouts in a tight game to not go up-tempo. And the eventual TO just to take a knee just speaks volumes as to how disorganized this staff can be on the sidelines. Either Franklin already has a foot out the door or he’s just given up on his team. Regardless, not a good choice for State.

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
Inexcusable with 1:15 on the click and 3 timeouts in a tight game to not go up-tempo. And the eventual TO just to take a knee just speaks volumes as to how disorganized this staff can be on the sidelines. Either Franklin already has a foot out the door or he’s just given up on his team. Regardless, not a good choice for State.
I thought Franklin’s clock management skills would improve over time as he got more experience, but that hasn’t happened. IMO, with Franklin it is something that just isn’t fixable. If anything, his clock management skills have gotten worse over time.

Chris92

Oct 14, 2021
I think we just wanted to get out of the first half with a lead. On the preceding drive, the Terps just marched right down the field on the defense. The last thing we wanted to do was go three and out and send the D right back on to the field. Why didn't we throw a Hail Mary to end the half? I guess that just shows how little confidence we have in the OL to give a banged up QB time to get that throw off.

Reactions: DandyDonII

Beachwineguy

Oct 30, 2021
It seems like they’ve dialed back the up tempo that they had earlier in the season. The first few games, the offense would get to the line snap it and go. Next play, same thing. Now there’s a lot more checking with the sidelines slowing down the offense and less catching the D off guard.

lemonears

Oct 31, 2021
I can’t figure out what happened to this Penn State team. They had some obvious flaws even when they were winning, but they still looked like a legit top 10 program. Not sure what it was, but something (besides injuries) happened in Iowa that seems to have knocked them off their rails.

The MD game was a lot closer than the final score. Where the hell would they be without Dotson?

My opinion is that we became ecstatic when we beat Wisconsin and Auburn since both were ranked highly pre-season. The pollsters ranked us in the top 10 and then the top 5. That further fueled our enthusiasm. We over-rated the talent on this team. The defense is a 7 out of 10. Pretty good but not great. The best part of the defense is the DBs except for Porter's gaffs. The OL is 4 out of 10. Not that good. Clifford is also 4 out of 10. Decent but not exceptional. The running backs are 5 out of 10 at best. Dotson and Brisker are the best players on the team. This is an above average but not great Penn State team. We are 6 - 3. That is about where we should be based on the talent level on this team. If Franklin and his recruits stay, we should have better talent in the near future.

Ceasar

Oct 7, 2021
I am definitely not one of these guys who tries to psycho analyze people. But... for the first three quarters of the game James reminded me of the 2020 James; standing alone on the sidelines, arms folded, not saying a word to anyone. I noticed in prior games he had Yurcich and Trautwein right behind him and they constantly were talking. So yesterday worried me and the team seemed to be in the same 2020 funk for the first three quarters. I can't help but wonder if CJFs Friday tweet directed at Old Main was part of this as well. I am a bit concerned that there are some under the surface issues that are percolating. Hopefully the fourth quarter cured whatever was going on.

Reactions: Psu00

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
While we’re crawling inside Franklin’s head and drawing conclusions, please take this opportunity to remember how excited he was high-fiving PSU fans after yesterday’s game.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I also thought the timeout just before halftime only to take a knee was curious. A plausible conclusion is that Franklin wanted to talk to Yurcich about options, and they simply decided to go conversative and preserve a halftime lead.

Chris92

Oct 14, 2021
It seems like they’ve dialed back the up tempo that they had earlier in the season. The first few games, the offense would get to the line snap it and go. Next play, same thing. Now there’s a lot more checking with the sidelines slowing down the offense and less catching the D off guard.
I don't think we have the depth on D anymore to have the defense on the field 90 snaps. If you play with tempo with good or bad results, you're asking guys to play more reps on D. With no Luketa yesterday, our seasoned DE depth was non-existent and we're down to 3 somewhat proven DTs.

Reactions: bbrown

Steelhead52

Sep 23, 2021
I also thought the timeout just before halftime only to take a knee was curious. A plausible conclusion is that Franklin wanted to talk to Yurcich about options, and they simply decided to go conversative and preserve a halftime lead.
Turns out, you're are exactly right. I went ballistic sitting on the couch about how you can't waste this much time and not try for a score before the half. I really believe Clifford is still not 100% and the staff did not want to give Maryland another chance before the half especially with getting the ball to start the 3rd qtr. Unlike some, I never felt this was a playoff team even after wins over Wisky and Auburn. After Clifford got hurt and losing Mustipher, it was obvious of course. There certainly are some stars on this team but just too many holes without enough depth. Except for the Illinois game, I have really enjoyed watching the team this year even with the struggles with the running game and OL. The secondary has been great and the defense overall has been really fun to watch. There are some great teams yet to play so I'm excited to see how we match up with tough Michigan and Michigan State teams. The schedule this year is unbelievable. We will play 5 or 6 teams that were in the top 10 at some point in the season. That's crazy compared to what many top teams play this year. I complain about Franklin's time management but it just might be that the staff knows more about the team and what's happening on the field than I do.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I think we just wanted to get out of the first half with a lead. On the preceding drive, the Terps just marched right down the field on the defense. The last thing we wanted to do was go three and out and send the D right back on to the field. Why didn't we throw a Hail Mary to end the half? I guess that just shows how little confidence we have in the OL to give a banged up QB time to get that throw off.
That made sense until we got a first down on two running plays. I would have tried to get into FG range once we got to the 35 yard line with about 55 seconds to play and 3 TOs. This is especially true since MD was going to receive the opening kickoff of the second half.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Well I thought initially that Franklin didn’t call TOs because he wanted to get to the locker room and re-group. Don’t agree with that but I get it. Having said that then calling a TO with 3 seconds left only to then take a knee makes no damn sense.

Reactions: gogolion

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
That made sense until we got a first down on two running plays. I would have tried to get into FG range once we got to the 35 yard line with about 55 seconds to play and 3 TOs. This is especially true since MD was going to receive the opening kickoff of the second half.
BINGO.

Nov 1, 2021
That makes sense as an explanation for why we ran the ball. No problem with that. But once we got to the 40 with about 20 seconds left, it was inexcusable not to use some timeouts and take a few shots to get into FG range. Only needed 20-25 more yards for stout to have a chance and if you don’t get it, Maryland has like 5 seconds to work with.

Reactions: Psu00 and Grass

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
I agree with tempo as any QB throwing with rhythm is better than the version of him retreating and throwing off his back foot while dropping back. He’s best getting the ball quickly out of his hands in my opinion and throwing with better mechanics. He really only had the one run yesterday to keep a drive going, earlier in the year he was really effective running. I think this team was set up to make noise. Losing our best run stopper was huge in the big picture as teams have had a bit more success running. Before, they managed the run better and funneled the other teams to try to hit against the assumed strength of the team (secondary). If they had not lost Mustipher and had a healthy Clifford, they had a great opportunity given that this is not a great OSU team.

K-Live

Oct 6, 2021
The injury to Clifford is exactly what happened to this team (and to a lesser degree on D Mustipher). His ability to take off and get 5-10 yards or more kept defenses in conflict. No defense we play now is believing Clifford is any threat to run, and likely the coaching staff as instructed him not to either. So, defenses have less to defend. We don't have a capable backup to even hand the ball off it seems (see Iowa 2nd half and Illinois), so here we are.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and bbrown

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
On the pre game radio show the host brought up how well Ellis Brooks is playing especially early in the season and CJF had a lot of praise adding that Lavar coached him at an all star game and had recommended PSU check him out. CJF then went on to say that Brooks has been through a lot this year that isn't public and that after the season the story will be told...implying it's something that will surprise us fans.

I'm sure there's stories like this across the team. I understand other teams deal with stuff as well but your question was what happened to this team.

The team had also been bitten by the injury bug with different guys down every week. This week Luketa and Sutherland. These guys are upperclassmen leaders that spark the entire team.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
I think many people under rate this defense and our passing game. The only problem this team has (when Clifford is healthy that is) is the running game- unfortunately that is a pretty big problem and not something that will likely be fixed this season.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
The injury to Clifford is exactly what happened to this team (and to a lesser degree on D Mustipher). His ability to take off and get 5-10 yards or more kept defenses in conflict. No defense we play now is believing Clifford is any threat to run, and likely the coaching staff as instructed him not to either. So, defenses have less to defend. We don't have a capable backup to even hand the ball off it seems (see Iowa 2nd half and Illinois), so here we are.
This^^^^

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
I would be ecstatic if the team could go an entire game without someone in the defensive secondary acting like an *******.

Reactions: Psu00 and bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I don't think we have the depth on D anymore to have the defense on the field 90 snaps. If you play with tempo with good or bad results, you're asking guys to play more reps on D. With no Luketa yesterday, our seasoned DE depth was non-existent and we're down to 3 somewhat proven DTs.
Excellent point.

Reactions: 91Joe95

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

IMO its kind of easy it is Injuries. Clifford is much better than he was at Iowa but he still can't run and that threat is a big part of this offense.
Add in the injury of PJ and thats 1 player in PJ that was playing at AA level and Clifford that was at least playing All BTN level. Those are pretty significant.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
Joey Porter is not ready for the pros yet, TCF is getting caught out of position now and then , but not as much as in the past. Linebackers were the strength along with the safeties yesterday.

Running backs are not lowering the boom, the stop and go is killing them. Clifford rolling left and throwing left not good, looking deep as first option has got to stop, he has to practice touch.

PSU and OSU played a hard hitting physical game last week and it showed for both teams.

The advantage now for PSU is to use players without fear of losing the red shirt, maybe Caziah Holmes can help now.

Reactions: Psu00 and bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

It kind of went the way I expected although I'm not sure I expected them to be tied with us at the start of the 4th. MD's offense is good, well not so much the running game but if Tua gets on a roll he is very good. They have talent at WR. It will be interesting to see them against MSU next week.
I still don't understand some of the lulls our Offense gets into and obviously Clifford doesn't want to run. I wish Lee would become more of a part of the offense and not on kick returns. Clifford and Parker just looked off yesterday and Clifford missed some big passes. I also thought the TE's disappeared again but with Dotson open the entire game I guess I understand it. Its just I think we need the TE's across the middle to help the run game.
I thought the defense really stepped up again today.
The defense is the reason we will be in the games against MSU and Michy.
Was nice to see Meiga with a nice play.
We also need to work on our kick return game. We are leaving way too much yardage on the field.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Joey Porter is not ready for the pros yet, TCF is getting caught out of position now and then , but not as much as in the past. Linebackers were the strength along with the safeties yesterday.

Running backs are not lowering the boom, the stop and go is killing them. Clifford rolling left and throwing left not good, looking deep as first option has got to stop, he has to practice touch.

PSU and OSU played a hard hitting physical game last week and it showed for both teams.

The advantage now for PSU is to use players without fear of losing the red shirt, maybe Caziah Holmes can help now.
Porter had a really rough game.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
IMO its kind of easy it is Injuries. Clifford is much better than he was at Iowa but he still can't run and that threat is a big part of this offense.
Add in the injury of PJ and thats 1 player in PJ that was playing at AA level and Clifford that was at least playing All BTN level. Those are pretty significant.
This boils down to Clifford’s injuries. It’s as simple as that. What made this offense dangerous was his ability to run when plays broke down. How many drives did he extend that way and score extra TDs?

We aren’t seeing that at all the past few games and it easily takes a couple of TDs off the board each week.

The staff is likely adjusting and we are seeing Clifford’s limitations as a passer accentuated without his “plus” scrambling skills to counter them.

Reactions: bbrown

Pride

Oct 12, 2021
Speaking of the kicking game, what happed to Stout ? Too much he can do it all, started the year with NFL numbers now it's high school numbers.
His average yards per punt must of been mediocre….he was disappointing after being an NFL type punter early on

Nohow

Oct 25, 2021

How soon we forget. We have a disappointing record because SC was injured and there does not to be a competent backup QB. And he is still not 100%.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
His average yards per punt must of been mediocre….he was disappointing after being an NFL type punter early on
Yea but wasn't he putting from their 42 yard line a couple of times? thats going to reduce the ridiculous numbers he's been putting up. But yea he did have the one shank that I think led to points.

MontereyLion

Oct 6, 2021
While we’re crawling inside Franklin’s head and drawing conclusions, please take this opportunity to remember how excited he was high-fiving PSU fans after yesterday’s game.
I tried to get in his head but too many of you were already in there. No room.

JakkL

Oct 12, 2021
After the 3 second TO Franklin asked MY a question and MY said No. Guessing that Franklin asked about Clifford throwing a hail Mary. I dont think Clifford has the arm strength yet to throw deep.

Reactions: VaDave4PSU

danvillenit

Oct 30, 2021
After the 3 second TO Franklin asked MY a question and MY said No. Guessing that Franklin asked about Clifford throwing a hail Mary. I dont think Clifford has the arm strength yet to throw deep.
That’s info is not going to fit the narrative that everything is Franklins faulted

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021

It was a strange set of circumstances. TFrank felt like Locks was going to use his timeouts. When we rushed for a first down and none were used, it set us up for a high tempo 2 minute drill that we didn't want to do.

SC had no rhythm at that point. He's been hurt on a Hail Mary once this year and he isn't 100% yet. Taking a knee on 3rd play of the series would have looked better, but it is what it is.