MSU - size advantage

Scangg

Heisman
Mar 19, 2016
25,455
49,387
113
MSU has a clear size advantage in the starting lineup. Only Myles will have more height. Every other matchup giving up multiple inches. Need to rebound as a team tonight. This is a Myles double digit rebound night

Henry 6'6
Langford 6'6
Hauser 6'9
Kithier 6'8
Hoggard 6'3
 
  • Like
Reactions: RURM85

RURM85

All-Conference
Dec 1, 2012
7,544
3,027
0
And yet, other than the Duke game, I've not been impressed with their Low Post play. After watching the Nebraska game, although I thought they had a decided advantage on the boards, I checked out the stats and Nebraska evened out the Rebounds with them. That shouldn't happen as Nebraska is not a good rebounding team. I also don't see much scoring from Michigan State near the rim.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Scangg

RUSCFORMERLYRULOU

All-American
Nov 12, 2017
5,558
7,099
103
I’m thinking we lose tonight, but we have gained some important size back with McConnell - defensively it really helps.
 

PSAL_Hoops

Heisman
Feb 18, 2008
14,256
13,578
78
I don’t expect interior presence to be an issue in this game. The MSU starting line up in the OP is being presented somewhat out of context.

Kithier only averages 14 minutes a game. I know nothing about him or his game, but from a height perspective, if you assume Douc and Rieber combine to match those 14 minutes we’d have the height advantage there. He’s not contributing much more than them on a PT basis statistically.

ESPN says Langford is 6-5. That means Paul and Caleb are both bigger than him.
They also have a kid Watts who is 6-2 (same a JY) and comes off the bench for 23 minutes.

The issue with Michigan State is that at some point every season they just seem to “click” and go on a lights out winning streak. Let’s hope their Nebraska win wasn’t the start of that.
 

Scangg

Heisman
Mar 19, 2016
25,455
49,387
113
One thing about this season with Young being a starter and now Geo back in the starting lineup is that we are a smaller team swapping 6'6/7 Mulcahy out and Harper already being an undersized 4. This season we haven't been as dominate on the boards.

Our bench is very tall... Paul Caleb Reiber Mag Palmquist Cliff/Myles (whoever doesn't start)
 

Scangg

Heisman
Mar 19, 2016
25,455
49,387
113
I don’t expect interior presence to be an issue in this game. The MSU starting line up in the OP is being presented somewhat out of context.

Kithier only averages 14 minutes a game. I know nothing about him or his game, but from a height perspective, if you assume Douc and Rieber combine to match those 14 minutes we’d have the height advantage there. He’s not contributing much more than them on a PT basis statistically.

ESPN says Langford is 6-5. That means Paul and Caleb are both bigger than him.
They also have a kid Watts who is 6-2 (same a JY) and comes off the bench for 23 minutes.

The issue with Michigan State is that at some point every season they just seem to “click” and go on a lights out winning streak. Let’s hope their Nebraska win wasn’t the start of that.
I.e. Kithier. I said Myles has the advantage there and the position was the one we did have the size advantage with.

I.e. bench players. The post was about starting lineup. Our bench is huge
 

RURM85

All-Conference
Dec 1, 2012
7,544
3,027
0
I actually believe Michigan State's Bench height is really good with Hall (6'7"), Bingham (6'11"), Marble (6'8") and Brown (6'8") all coming off the bench and getting minutes.

The issue is these bench players don't always play Big. For example, Gabe Brown is much more of a 3 point shooter then a Low Post player. Bingham who has height is still very skinny and not sure how his game has really developed. He doesn't get many minutes and doesn't mix it up down low. I really like Marble and he's got some beef to his game. Hall is the best of these 4 bench players and is more of a driver.
 

RU_Travesty

All-Conference
Oct 24, 2012
9,723
3,441
103
Hauser is playing out of position at the 5. He’s a bad post defender and likes to shoot from outside
 

PSAL_Hoops

Heisman
Feb 18, 2008
14,256
13,578
78
I.e. Kithier. I said Myles has the advantage there and the position was the one we did have the size advantage with.

I.e. bench players. The post was about starting lineup. Our bench is huge

For the starting line up, I was considering MJ and Hauser the match up because you listed Hauser at 6-9. My point is that Kithier at 6-8 for 14 minutes as a second “big” doesn’t really add that much relative post presence. He’s not a scorer or big time rebounder. I don’t see him specifically dominating 6-6 Harper at the 4 when he’s in because of those 2 inches. Do you?
 

RUHouston

All-American
Jul 24, 2009
5,183
5,134
58
I expect a good game... biggest goal is free throw shooting and maintaining a killer instinct on the road. I’d love to see a similar performance to the one we did at Mary’s Land.
 

RUDieHard

Senior
Dec 20, 2004
375
550
0
This is the worst MSU team I've seen in many years. I'll be very disappointed if we lose. We are just a better team in all categories IMO.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Scangg

Mr_Twister

All-American
Apr 1, 2004
15,684
5,819
0
Coach Izzo is good. Typically his teams get better as the season progresses. And he is annoyingly complimentary about the opponent after the Spartans win.
A win here by Rutgers would be a significant. We’ve reached the point where we win on the road. A next step is winning a significant road game over a nemesis. Let’s do it.
 

PSAL_Hoops

Heisman
Feb 18, 2008
14,256
13,578
78
I think Izzo will be going some 'small ball' tonight and I doubt Kithier guards Harper.

I agree and meant no disrespect to Kithier or any of the MSU players. I think this is a very tough game for Rutgers but not because we’re undersized outside of MJ. I will be very disappointed if Michigan State dominates in the post.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RURM85

ScarletDave

Heisman
Oct 7, 2010
34,714
15,610
85
It will be a close game. Even in our bad years had close games against MSU. Coreys miss at the buzzer to win that sent it to OT at MSU when they were top-5, when they were #10 we almost beat them at the RAC a few years ago. Need to find a way against a tough matchup opponent fornus
 

GORU2014

All-Conference
Sep 4, 2013
2,640
4,670
113
We had one of the tallest teams in the country Pike’s first or second year. Doesn’t necessarily correlate to wins
 
The Knight Report

Latest

  1. 01 On3 Football College sports bill facing pressure in the House: 'We won’t pass language to blow up the ACC'
  2. 02 The Knight Report Football Behind Enemy Lines: An inside look at the Indiana Hoosiers
  3. 03 On3 Football Inside college football’s looming contract fight: Why player buyouts are about to take center stage
  4. 04 The Knight Report Rutgers Football Wednesday Injury Report: Latest Updates ahead of the Indiana game
  5. 05 The Knight Report Which Rutgers Basketball players will attend Big Ten Media Days?